Adjustable weights - recommendations please!

Options
I'd like to start doing some more lifting at home, and was thinking about those adjustable weight dumbbells. Has anyone had success with these? What type do you use? I'm looking for some recommendations - GO!

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodymax Selectabell ones, as they were about half the price of getting the equivalent range (5-32.5kg each) Powerblocks. They're very sturdy, quick to change, and generally lovely. The only downside is that to accommodate all the plates they're very wide, so if you're doing something like a straight arm front lift where you would normally have your hands starting in front of your thighs you'll be forced slightly wider.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodymax Selectabell ones, as they were about half the price of getting the equivalent range (5-32.5kg each) Powerblocks. They're very sturdy, quick to change, and generally lovely. The only downside is that to accommodate all the plates they're very wide, so if you're doing something like a straight arm front lift where you would normally have your hands starting in front of your thighs you'll be forced slightly wider.

Thanks - I actually saw these online and wondered if they would be easy to use. How long does it take to change weights?

My other thought would be to use resistance bands, but I've heard mixed reviews of those. Any thoughts?
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I'm also thinking about getting some adjustable weights for home and I'm looking for suggestions that won't break the bank. :happy:
  • Zomoniac
    Options

Thanks - I actually saw these online and wondered if they would be easy to use. How long does it take to change weights?

My other thought would be to use resistance bands, but I've heard mixed reviews of those. Any thoughts?

About 5 seconds. Slot in, hold button, rotate end, pull out. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4hyRTzqojQ

Bands work up to a point, but it's a lot harder to gauge progress than it is when you're just working with hard numbers. And anything where you have to stand on the band can be tricky, especially when you need to shorten it by making a loop and standing on that. And if you're doing something like a shoulder press whilst standing on the band and you're working out in bare legs you can get some painful friction burns when the rubber inevitably drags along your skin.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    Bump
    I'm also thinking about getting some adjustable weights for home and I'm looking for suggestions that won't break the bank. :happy:

Therein lies the problem. They're horribly expensive. They represent good value if you're likely to use the full range (I paid about £250 for mine, they replace 12 individual pairs of dumbbells, which makes them the equivalent of £20 a pair, or, £10 a dumbbell, no way I could actually buy individual weights at that price, not to mention how much space would be taken up by that much gear, plus having 450kg of weights instead of 65 would probably send my floor crashing down), but if you're actually only likely to be using the same couple of settings each time you'd be better off buying separates.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! :smile:

I think separates it is. I'm too cheap!