How to eat 130 grams of protein a day?

124»

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Here's a diary entry from when I was on 1200 calories.

njw7sec48ls8.jpg
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    I need about 2100 cals a day and 130 grams of that should be protein. I'm currently eating about 85 grams a day of protein.

- 2 eggs with cheese (20 g)
    - handful of almonds (9 g)
    - oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)
    - meat with dinner (25 g)

approx: 85 g per day

How do I get an other 50 grams of protein in me??? After my workout, I doubled up my protein shake...there must be a better way without eating too much food. Help MFP friends :smile:

I'm curious as to where you're coming up with 130 grams of protein...that just seems like a lot for a female...I'd wager I don't get that on the daily and I'm certainly not withering away to nothing.

Was a protein calculator on some web site where I put in my height, weight, activity level and age. Is this inaccurate?

I am 5'8" and 130 lbs. Lift weights 5 times per week. Age 45

It's giving you 1 gram per Lb of body weight which is way overkill....

1 gram per Lb of LBM is the high end of things...and even then, it's probably overkill depending on what your training is like....

Here's a nice little graph I like...

optimal-protein-intake.png?w=420

This essentially shows you the benefit of more protein a sedentary vs. endurance athlete, vs strength athlete...you reach a point of diminishing returns and ultimately just end up making expensive glucose.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I lift, but I don't really consider myself to be a strength athlete...more on the endurance side...so I'm more like 1.3-1.5 g per Kg of body weight...basically somewhere between 110 - 125 grams per day. From my research, I see little benefit for myself in exceeding this.

Thanks. I just looked up Bret Contreras research here: https://bretcontreras.com/how-much-protein-do-you-really-need/

and according to him, I need 20% of my diet to be protein, so I calculated it to be 105 grams per day. This seems WAY more reasonable.

Thanks for bringing this up. I appreciate it very much.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    I can meet this if I really try on 1200 cals.

My go tos are:

Chicken & Tuna for low cal, high protein

Snacks: cottage cheese, green yogurt. (Both About 12g protein/100 cals depending what you buy)

Premier Protein Shakes have 30g P and 160 cals.

Just a few ideas.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    you show that sodium whose boss.

I don't ever really count sodium and I add salt to my food on top of what you see. I'm not hypertensive, my bp is spot on. My dad is the say way at 88. If I was having an issue I'd worry about it.

I'm more mocking MFP for having sodium tracking on by default than I am mocking you, I know it doesn't matter I just think its funny when a standard day has you 3x above what MFP recommends for whatever reason. I'm always over my sodium too, I realize it doesn't matter.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I need about 2100 cals a day and 130 grams of that should be protein. I'm currently eating about 85 grams a day of protein.

- 2 eggs with cheese (20 g)
    - handful of almonds (9 g)
    - oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)
    - meat with dinner (25 g)

approx: 85 g per day

How do I get an other 50 grams of protein in me??? After my workout, I doubled up my protein shake...there must be a better way without eating too much food. Help MFP friends :smile:

I'm curious as to where you're coming up with 130 grams of protein...that just seems like a lot for a female...I'd wager I don't get that on the daily and I'm certainly not withering away to nothing.

You know that's a good point...my target is 100g and I'm 5'8/160lbs (ish)

Hah fair enough, guess somehow that went over my head as well 130g is a pretty high target. Maybe the idea is just to eat more protein for satiety reasons but you most likely don't need to eat that much.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Thanks to this thread I realized I have difficulty getting enough protein on days my mom is hospitalized. I have difficulties meeting my caloric goals on those days, though. I've got my protein set at 20% , and it seems to naturally work out on a week-to-week basis with my dietary patterns, requiring no real effort most of the time on my part.

Note: the scientific literature (which I have cited before) sets a goal of 0.8 - 1.0 g / kg body mass , not 0.8 - 1.0 g / lb body weight.

I don't think there's much harm in a higher protein diet, there seems to be a great deal of tolerance among humans for a wide variety of macronutrient balances. This might be part of why we've done so well as a species. The FDA macronutrient guidelines are quite broad because the evidence supports this view.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

I don't ever really count sodium and I add salt to my food on top of what you see. I'm not hypertensive, my bp is spot on. My dad is the say way at 88. If I was having an issue I'd worry about it.

I'm more mocking MFP for having sodium tracking on by default than I am mocking you, I know it doesn't matter I just think its funny when a standard day has you 3x above what MFP recommends for whatever reason. I'm always over my sodium too, I realize it doesn't matter.

Mine defaulted sugar instead of sodium. As long as I stay under about 4000mg/day it doesn't seem to affect me but when I start to go over that (and it happens frequently with my love for BBQ haha.. yes I'm an addict!) I'll see water weight gain start to creep up. It still doesn't matter too much, it can be negated with extra intake of water, and as long as you know why there's an uptick in weight it's not a big deal. I think my worst day was an overnight 6lb gain. Man that was some good BBQ! But that's the only reason I like the sodium tracking. It makes little difference as far as overall weight gain/loss unless you happen to have a medical condition.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    I recommend increasing in increments. I tried to go from around 80g of protein a day to 140g a day and got so frustrated. I've been increasing in 10-20g increments every few weeks. I'm at 120g right now and will jump to 130g next week.

My tricks have been Lil Buff Cakes (delicious AND easy), Kodiak cakes (the peanut butter ones? So good!), protein shakes, and protein bars. And chicken. So much chicken.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

OH I didn't take you overly seriously.. I know you well enough from your posts. I was just more explaining why I don't really care about it. I don't watch my sugar intake either. (GASP!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Today I hit 105g protein in under 2000 calories while managing to eat 550 calories of breads 500 calories of cookies and 85 calories of chips

There's a reason logging works
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Today I hit 105g protein in under 2000 calories while managing to eat 550 calories of breads 500 calories of cookies and 85 calories of chips

There's a reason logging works

haha! good for you!