heartburn...

Options
What is the magic cure? I'm eating healthy, but everything causes it.
I go through this everything few months; to the point that I wake up with it.
Even water causes it. I've tried Zantac, Tums, Pepcid...

They help but not long lasting.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor lately? I would start there.
  • SuzieBel
    SuzieBel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem, though cutting down fatty foods is supposed to relieve heartburn :/ I have been eating things like tomatoes and oranges which are acidic though, so perhaps that is the problem? I intend to buy some peppermint tea, that helped with my heartburn when I was pregnant, so hopefully will do the trick.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yes you really want to start there. I had the same issues for a long time and when I finally talked to my Dr she was very up-front (and non-judgmental ). She told me it would improve if I lost some weight, ate smaller amounts at a sitting and was mindful of the types of food that triggered the acid. She prescribed otc prilosec short term which helped a lot. I have lost some weight (not a dramatic amount) and am less likely to overeat at any one meal (I still eat too much but working on it). I'm doing a lot better no longer taking prilosec and while I still have some heartburn I can manage it with occasional tums. There's really no magic cure but this was pretty close for me :)
  • danielle0400
    danielle0400 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I had a full work up in July, the last time this happened. Everything was normal and good. She said to eat FODMAP style, and have me Zantac, both of which helped. But it appeared again. I don't eat fatty foods very often (other than nuts), nor so I eat large meals. I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason, it's very inconsistent. I have noticed that nausea does accompany it at times, as does consipation.

I've gained about 12 lbs over the last year; while I'm not overweight- I'm working to lose this.
  • mph323
    Options
    Maybe ask your Dr. about using prilosec for a while? Zantac didn't work for me at all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Prilosec worked for me, but it takes 2 weeks to work.
  • mph323
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This is true.

Noel, the OP had a medical workup and everything was normal. No one is suggesting that she start taking pills or supplements without consulting her Dr. Heartburn is pretty common, and it's not unreasonable to ask what worked for other people.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    During your doctor work-up, did you have just bloodwork done? Did you have any x-rays or GI tract testing done? The reason I ask is that, as someone with inflammatory bowel disease (in remission), I had similar symptoms to yours for about 5 years before it finally got worse. For those 5 years, there was no rhyme or reason ...

My experience is a worst case scenario but I share it to simply illustrate to delve a little deeper into the why's of it all. On a side note, after I healed, I have rarely had heartburn or indigestion. When I do, I take a teaspoon or two of coconut oil. Actually, I consume coconut oil every day anyway ...
  • OldeDarrell
    OldeDarrell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try a few days of avoiding raw cabbage, raw broccoli, raw radishes, etc. that really helped me. Raw cruciferous didn't like me.
  • danielle0400
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was able to get in on a cancellation (and favor to my mom) to an DO tomorrow and she's starting with the food allergy test. Which is something I wanted for a longtime.
  • mph323
    Options
    Excellent! Hope you find your answers!
  • danielle0400
    Options
    Has anyone else done this test?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    we drink aloe vera juice, 4oz before meal & no liquid during meal. I also just put it in my water. The regular kind, not flavored. What works best is a little baking soda in water before bed
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What is the magic cure? I'm eating healthy, but everything causes it.
    I go through this everything few months; to the point that I wake up with it.
    Even water causes it. I've tried Zantac, Tums, Pepcid...

They help but not long lasting.

Go to the doctor, please. I went for the MD for heartburn, which turned out to be a symptom of a bigger medical issue.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I had a full work up in July, the last time this happened. Everything was normal and good. She said to eat FODMAP style, and have me Zantac, both of which helped. But it appeared again. I don't eat fatty foods very often (other than nuts), nor so I eat large meals. I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason, it's very inconsistent. I have noticed that nausea does accompany it at times, as does consipation.

I've gained about 12 lbs over the last year; while I'm not overweight- I'm working to lose this.

Are you still eating low FODMAP? Did you do the elimination for a specified period of time then add in certain high FODMAP food groups to see what was causing your heartburn?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

This is true.

Noel, the OP had a medical workup and everything was normal. No one is suggesting that she start taking pills or supplements without consulting her Dr. Heartburn is pretty common, and it's not unreasonable to ask what worked for other people.

Shoot, Prilosec never worked for me, neither did a prescribed stronger medicines.