Why weigh meat raw?

Options
Evamutt
Evamutt Posts: 2,340 Member
I've read on here to weigh meat raw but I eat alot of ground turkey. Raw it weighs 5.5oz(It's extra lean & has water in it from defrosting) when i weigh it cooked, it's 3.4oz

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you use the nutrition entry for raw meat, weigh it raw. If you use the entry for cooked meat, weigh it cooked.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    some on here don't specify raw or cooked but I'll look more for it
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Look it up in the usda nutrient database. Once you find the entry, copy the entry name and paste it into the mfp food search box. Double check that the entry you get matches the usda info.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Raw it weighs 5.5oz(It's extra lean & has water in it from defrosting) when i weigh it cooked, it's 3.4oz

Exactly! While cooking the meat, a lot of the juices evaporate etc. So if you happen to cook that meal very well-done, vs lets say medium, the amount of calories are similar, however if you weigh them, the overcooked meat will just weight lighter. So you overestimate a medium steaks calories as USDA usually recommends cooking the meat pretty much well-done. Raw is simply more accurate.

Thats why the Raw Ground Meat vs Cooked Ground Meat data are different. Make sure you add them accordingly.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat a steak, or chicken or whatever, find the calories for how you prepare it.

Grilled chicken breast, baked chicken breast, raw chicken breast , calories will vary ..same with steak, broiled, fried, grilled, raw, etc..

at least that's my thought..
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters if you log it raw or cooked, as long as you log it correctly as raw or cooked.