Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Grape pie? I dunno.

I'm going back and forth on it. Finding out that the grapes taste like Welch's grape juice is making me lean towards thinking this is delicious.

The recipe I read makes it sound tedious to make though. It called for slipping the grapes out of the skin.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I used to crave snow cones made by pouring concentrated Welch's over crushed ice. I had her in early September, and that summer was really, really hot. Towards the end, my lips were always faintly purple because I was eating them so much.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Grape pie? I dunno.

I'm going back and forth on it. Finding out that the grapes taste like Welch's grape juice is making me lean towards thinking this is delicious.

The recipe I read makes it sound tedious to make though. It called for slipping the grapes out of the skin.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I used to crave snow cones made by pouring concentrated Welch's over crushed ice. I had her in early September, and that summer was really, really hot. Towards the end, my lips were always faintly purple because I was eating them so much.

i have never made them but in a small town (Naples NY) 20 minutes from me lots of folks make and sell them
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I thought for sure this thread would be about healthy desserts, not regular ole sugary crap. Baked apples with cinnamon for me. No sugary pies or crisps, and certainly not caramel!

Baked apples are tasty.
    OP didn't ask for low calorie or fat free or low sugar desserts just favorite non-pumpkin fall desserts so I'm not sure why you thought the thread would be about just "healthy" desserts.
    You could start a new thread asking for healthy desserts only. Since healthy means different things to different people you may want to set out your guidelines in the first post of what you are looking for. What makes something a healthy dessert to you? Specific amount of calories? Fat content? fiber? Must have fruit? Below a certain amount of grams of sugar?

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love making cobbler, and I will use fruits of the season. For fall, I gravitate towards apples and pears. The template that I use is this recipe I found years ago, and it really highlights the fruit. Depending on the sweetness, I will reduce the sugar, and since I don't believe in margarine, I use unsalted butter. One of my next cobblers will be a ginger-pear cobbler that I make using ripe, but firm D'Anjou pears and tiny bits of crystallized ginger.
    food.com/recipe/light-fresh-peach-cobbler-40183
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Baked apples with a bit of sugar. It is not my favourite favourite, but it is very easy to prepare, so when I am craving something sweet and have no time to bake or make something more complicated, it is a quick solution.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    When I think of fall desserts I think of the tarts my dad would make for Thanksgiving. I hated (and still hate) pumpkin pie, even though from what I understand my dad's was excellent, so he would take the leftover crust bits (which he made from scratch) and make tarts for me - just the crust with a little bit of jelly in the middle but they were so good! It was really the crust that did it - I think that crust with a little bit of cinnamon and sugar would have been great too. Now that I am older I would love to try pecan pie again (hated nuts as a kid but love most of them now) and I have never tried rhubarb pie but have heard rhubarb is quite tart which sounds really good to me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Grape pie? I dunno.

The first time I had a bunch of Concord grapes, I thought I died and was in heaven. :)

And they slip their skin really easily - not like traditional green or red grapes. If you give it a little squeeze on one end, the grape - sans skin - comes shooting out the other end. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    When I think of fall desserts I think of the tarts my dad would make for Thanksgiving.
    I so read that as farts the first time around. o:)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    I have never tried rhubarb pie but have heard rhubarb is quite tart which sounds really good to me.

Rhubarb *is* pretty tart and even sour all on its own. I compensate for this by adding sugar, or even better, raspberries. Raspberry rhubarb pie is amazing.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have never tried rhubarb pie but have heard rhubarb is quite tart which sounds really good to me.

Rhubarb *is* pretty tart and even sour all on its own. I compensate for this by adding sugar, or even better, raspberries. Raspberry rhubarb pie is amazing.

Strawberry rhubarb crumble
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yeah, I've used strawberries, too. I just like raspberries more. :)
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yeah, I've used strawberries, too. I just like raspberries more. :)

Both of those sound really tasty - I just need to find someone around here who makes it so I can try it. I am sure I could find a bakery that has something at least similar.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    When I think of fall desserts I think of the tarts my dad would make for Thanksgiving. I hated (and still hate) pumpkin pie, even though from what I understand my dad's was excellent, so he would take the leftover crust bits (which he made from scratch) and make tarts for me - just the crust with a little bit of jelly in the middle but they were so good! It was really the crust that did it - I think that crust with a little bit of cinnamon and sugar would have been great too. Now that I am older I would love to try pecan pie again (hated nuts as a kid but love most of them now) and I have never tried rhubarb pie but have heard rhubarb is quite tart which sounds really good to me.
    Yeah, I was really excited last year when I made a pecan pie. That's when I really got into cooking and thought growing up would make it more appealing to me.

I think the addition of corn or maple syrup is why I don't like pecan pie. That's a big reason I'm super excited for the pecan tassies.

• sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Yeah, I was really excited last year when I made a pecan pie. That's when I really got into cooking and thought growing up would make it more appealing to me.

I think the addition of corn or maple syrup is why I don't like pecan pie. That's a big reason I'm super excited for the pecan tassies.

Interesting - I didn't know that was in there. I have no idea what it actually tastes like but I know I imagine it tasting and neither of those is part of it. Now I kind of want to try it just to see how wrong I am. In my mind it is like butter pecan ice cream, but in pie form, if that makes any sense.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options
    When I think of fall desserts I think of the tarts my dad would make for Thanksgiving.
    I so read that as farts the first time around. o:)

I misread stuff like that all the time and it is usually something crazy you read. And omg that made me laugh so hard.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to try a strawberry rhubarb crumble to start November. I just need to run it by the family and find a recipe without oats to avoid pissing them off.

Fresh rhubarb is 3.98 a pound, while cut frozen is 2.48. Could using frozen potentially ruin it?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't get rhubarb pie. It's like one of the only desserts I'd rather not eat. Maybe tiramisu as well.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't get rhubarb pie. It's like one of the only desserts I'd rather not eat. Maybe tiramisu as well.

I once ate stewed Rhubarb to be polite. I will never eat anything Rhubarb ever again.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I once ate stewed Rhubarb to be polite. I will never eat anything Rhubarb ever again.

lol

Is Shoo Fly pie made with rhubarb? I hate that
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I thought for sure this thread would be about healthy desserts, not regular ole sugary crap. Baked apples with cinnamon for me. No sugary pies or crisps, and certainly not caramel!

More caramel for me then! :)