Male here - Apparently I need 1800 calories per day?

Options
Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited October 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello. :) I'm new to these forums, and I'm loving it so far. Great people with the same goals all helping each other out to succeed. :D My question is, the basics are that you need to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight, right? So it would only make sense to 'eat as little as possible you can in a day, and workout as much as possible,' that way the calories you get from working out would be more than what you gain from food. But then, I've read and heard all around that for a male, I have to get about 1800 calories a day regardless? It might sound a little bit stupid, but let's say I ate lunch, and that was about 800 calories. Dinner time comes but I'm not hungry so I decide not to eat for the rest of the day, therefore my overall calorie intake for the day would be 800 calories. Let's say I burned 400 calories by working out that day. So that would mean ( MY BMR + 400 ) - ( 800 from food ) = calories total burned that day, right?

That makes sense, but to get to the point. What if I don't get that 'prescribed' 1800 calories, even if I'm not hungry. Would that be detrimental to my overall weight loss or anything? If so, would I have to force myself and say 'oh, no, I need to eat more to fulfill my daily 1800 calories, and purposely eat something just to do that...? Thank you for taking the time to read this. All advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• pacificsaint
    pacificsaint Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but eating at that low of a deficit would mean that you would lose lean muscle mass as well as body fat. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in to explain other negative consequences of being in such a low deficit
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Having a very low calorie day once in awhile is okay. Making it a regular habit to eat like that most days is a problem. I would suggest aiming for an average of 1800 per day over the course of the week.

A huge deficit will speed your weight loss but remember that weight loss and fat loss are not the same thing. Your goal should be to lose primarily fat rather than muscle. Eating in a moderate deficit will help with that over the long term.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should add that if you have struggled with weight for a long time, your sense of hunger is messed up. That means not eating just because you don't feel hungry, or because you feel hungry is likely the worst way to start. You need to learn what an appropriate amount of food is so that in time, probably a year or so, you start to hopefully learn proper hunger signals rather than the messed up ones you (and I) have now. This will hopefully happen, but it may not and like me you may need to keep logging no matter what. Either way, excessive under eating will not help you with this, it is just going from one eating disorder (eating too much) to another eating disorder (eating way too little).
  • Fatvaporizer
    Options
    Thank you guys! Thanks riley especially for the elaborate explanation!
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Another issue I've found with trying more extreme calorie-cutting is that you set yourself up for more hunger, more frustration, and a higher chance of giving up. It's better to miss out on 200 calories a day if that's sustainable for you than to try to cut out 500 calories a day only to find after a week that you're binging and giving up.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Options
    @Fatvaporizer , I'm 2x your age and started this weight loss journey January 25 completely ignorant of the wisdom you've received on this page. Be humble enough to receive it. I've lost 84 lb so far, and have less than 30 to go to reach my goal and it will be easy with all I've learned from the fine community on this site.

84 lbs so far? Wow! Congratulations! That's a lot! Yeah, this community is so great. Like I said, it's a community of like-minded people chasing the same goal :D So we all help each other out. Keep going, 30 lbs left, you're almost there :)
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am eating low carb high fat and have been since January. I am eating 1500 cals a day, am not hungry and have no cravings. MFP says I should eat about 2000 or so. I have lost 105 pounds so far, with no exercise. No loss in muscle, lots more energy. My goal is to lose another 30...maybe more. I am not changing horses mid stream. I am not saying that the way i am doing it is right or that anybody else is wrong but many times we are told "they say" this or that and who knows who "they" are.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    I am eating low carb high fat and have been since January. I am eating 1500 cals a day, am not hungry and have no cravings. MFP says I should eat about 2000 or so. I have lost 105 pounds so far, with no exercise. No loss in muscle, lots more energy. My goal is to lose another 30...maybe more. I am not changing horses mid stream. I am not saying that the way i am doing it is right or that anybody else is wrong but many times we are told "they say" this or that and who knows who "they" are.

It would be rather difficult to loss no muscle mass without any kind of resistance training How did you measure that?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I was a power lifter super strong carried lots of Fat and Muscle looked like just a big dude 22" arms, huge chest and legs. Asthma from allergies just kept getting worse Doc told me to lose some weight I would feel better. I took it to the extreme and lost over 100lbs I can Guarantee you half of it was muscle if not more than half. When you lose size you lose Muscle the End. I'm currently 178lbs but I'm a Ripped 178-180 lbs that can do Back flips, 20 pull ups, run a 5k any time of the day or night and I wouldn't change my current weight or abilities for anything but health!! I feel fantastic!!! I did this eating 1800-2000 calories currently eat 3200-3500 and maintained it for over a year. My breakfast this am is 1800 calories.

My advise get there losing a 1lb a week and lift as heavy as you can to maintain muscle for future body.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options

I was a power lifter super strong carried lots of Fat and Muscle looked like just a big dude 22" arms, huge chest and legs. Asthma from allergies just kept getting worse Doc told me to lose some weight I would feel better. I took it to the extreme and lost over 100lbs I can Guarantee you half of it was muscle if not more than half. When you lose size you lose Muscle the End. I'm currently 178lbs but I'm a Ripped 178-180 lbs that can do Back flips, 20 pull ups, run a 5k any time of the day or night and I wouldn't change my current weight or abilities for anything but health!! I feel fantastic!!! I did this eating 1800-2000 calories currently eat 3200-3500 and maintained it for over a year. My breakfast this am is 1800 calories.

My advise get there losing a 1lb a week and lift as heavy as you can to maintain muscle for future body.

I doubt most are power lifters. My point was that there is more than one way to do it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I doubt most are power lifters. My point was that there is more than one way to do it.

I'd like to know how you determined that you lost no muscle mass. Because unless you're taking prodigious quantities of anabolic steroids, that didn't happen. Especially on a HFLC diet and no exercise.