Strength training question?

Options

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What's your tested max for deadlift, squat, bench and OHP?

Or C&J, Snatch?

What does that have to do with the OP wanting to change up what she does?
    It has to do with her level of experience.

Knowing that allows us to give her better advice.

Ooooh. So if someone has a really low amount of weight for the above then they'd be considered a "newbie"?

Yeah, don't agree.

I don't even know what my "tested max" is for any of those and I am far from new. Not to mention I don't do the C&J or snatches.
    Mhmm.

If she produced numbers for any of them, I'd consider her above newbie to be honest, since it would mean she understood what I meant.

You're very catty.

I'm not being catty I just fail to see how this is going to allow you to help the OP.

So basically (according to you) I'm a "newbie" since I really don't spend any time thinking about what my tested max is and because (again according to you) I "didn't understand the question".

I just saw no relevance.

Apparently I'm not the only one:
    still irrelevant. and instead of trying to sound experienced by throwing out lifts, you could've just asked her how experienced she was.

Ironanimal is on the right track. Knowing someone's maxes is helpful when talking programming. Someone doesn't need to test a one rep max, but someone knows that they can "Overhead press 115 for 5 reps" and that's good enough.

Someone that benches 50 lbs and has benched for 10 years is a newbie.
    Someone that benches 190 lbs and has benched for 1 year is intermediate.

Newbie refers to a lot more than just time. It refers to level of development. Someone that still has a relatively low level of development, regardless of time trained, still recovers and develops like a beginner when the correct programming is applied.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm not being catty I just fail to see how this is going to allow you to help the OP.

So basically (according to you) I'm a "newbie" since I really don't spend any time thinking about what my tested max is and because (again according to you) I "didn't understand the question".

I just saw no relevance.

still irrelevant. and instead of trying to sound experienced by throwing out lifts, you could've just asked her how experienced she was.
    My apologies. I must remember not to mention the best exercises for overall fitness and strength when discussing fitness and strength, lest I offend someone. Tested maxes are a measure of progress within lifting - yes? If you take issue with that, there's not really a lot more I can say that won't cause you further trauma.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There is no problem with working one muscle group a day. That is how my workout goes and every other day I do legs and abs. For example this week looks like this:

Mon: Bi's/legs
    Tues: chest/abs
    Wed: back/legs
    Thurs: shoulders/abs
    Fri: tri's/Legs
    Mon: bi's/abs

I also do 30 min. cardio before my workouts and ab and leg days are different. With regards to "feeling the burn" you're probably not lifting heavy enough. Do you go up in weight when you lift? Are you doing the movements in a slow and controlled manner, focusing on the muscle you're working and pausing at the top? I have been very conscious about doing this and let me tell you I KNOW I have muscles at the end of my workout -- I did tri's on Saturday and my arms were shaking when I was done -- and they are fairly sore the next day. I also increase the weight with every set that I do.

My week is very similar except I do arms (bi's and tri's) on one day and legs are only one day. I do alternate abs like you. I also do 30 minutes of cardio before hand. I was just wondering, do you focus on one part of the leg (hams, quads, calves) or do you do a full set all the time?

Depends on what I feel like doing. Lately I have thrown in a lot of squats - curtsey, pistol, regular. Lunges, step ups, dead lifts, good mornings. I'll do the "yes no" machine or use the cable to target the same areas and same with the donkey kick. I will do leg extensions, curl, press, and calves are done a couple times a week.

So to answer your question I try and hit a different part each time but I don't concentrate on just one part of the leg per time.

I love splitting it up like this. It gives me time to really focus on the muscles that I'm working and I'm not at the gym forever. My lifting takes an hour, maybe 75 minutes if I rest longer.

Thanks for the response! I just recently started lifting and I really want to do more legs but I lift with my boyfriend who has rock hard legs and it's on the bottom of his priority list. I may have to go do my own thing.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm the worlds slowest work-outer, so I don't do full body or I'd spend 5 hours at the gym every time.

If I warm up for 15 minutes, split my workout up by muscle group, and spend 25 minutes on cardio afterward, I can get it all day in an hour and a half, 4xs a week.

I do legs and glutes, arms and shoulders, abs and back, and some sort of torture with my trainer. Lately it's been an obscene amount of chest work since she's figured out that I avoid it like the plague. It works for me because it keep me way less overwhelmed.
  • GetSoda
    Options
    I'm the worlds slowest work-outer, so I don't do full body or I'd spend 5 hours at the gym every time.

If I warm up for 15 minutes, split my workout up by muscle group, and spend 25 minutes on cardio afterward, I can get it all day in an hour and a half, 4xs a week.

I do legs and glutes, arms and shoulders, abs and back, and some sort of torture with my trainer. Lately it's been an obscene amount of chest work since she's figured out that I avoid it like the plague. It works for me because it keep me way less overwhelmed.

You can do full body in 45 minutes or less.

Day A:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press

Day B:

Squat
    Pendlay Row
    Overhead press.

Three days a week, alternate A-B. And Voila, whole body worked in the most efficient way possible.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, I'm no help, but bump to save the info :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents. You will get more bang for your buck by sticking with the compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press and standing overhead press) These work multiple muscle groups and will help you accomplish your goal of burning fat and gaining strength. Secondly, they could cut down on your workout time. The other benefits of compounds loaded through the spine, especially for women, is the increase in bone density. This becomes a big deal as we age and bones become weaker.

There is nothing wrong with doing a 4 day split routine of upper/lower.

Day 1 - Squats w/ accessory lifts
    Day 2 - Overhead Press w/ accessory lifts
    Day 3 - Deadlifts w/ accessory lifts
    Day 4 - Bench Press w/ accessory lifts
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

You don't need hours to hit the full body, many full body lifting programs only have you do 3-4 exercises (3-5 sets/exercise) to hit the whole body in one day (As an example of 3 lifts to hit the whole body; Bench Press, Squat, and Rows. You hit chest, shoulders and triceps with the benchpress; Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings, and Abs with Squats; and Back, biceps, forearms, and abs with Rows)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What's your tested max for deadlift, squat, bench and OHP?

Or C&J, Snatch?

What does that have to do with the OP wanting to change up what she does?
    It has to do with her level of experience.

Knowing that allows us to give her better advice.

Ooooh. So if someone has a really low amount of weight for the above then they'd be considered a "newbie"?

Yeah, don't agree.

I don't even know what my "tested max" is for any of those and I am far from new. Not to mention I don't do the C&J or snatches.
    Mhmm.

If she produced numbers for any of them, I'd consider her above newbie to be honest, since it would mean she understood what I meant.

You're very catty.

I just saw no relevance.

Ironanimal is on the right track. Knowing someone's maxes is helpful when talking programming. Someone doesn't need to test a one rep max, but someone knows that they can "Overhead press 115 for 5 reps" and that's good enough.

Someone that benches 50 lbs and has benched for 10 years is a newbie.
    Someone that benches 190 lbs and has benched for 1 year is intermediate.

Newbie refers to a lot more than just time. It refers to level of development. Someone that still has a relatively low level of development, regardless of time trained, still recovers and develops like a beginner when the correct programming is applied.

Well said. There's a lot of defensiveness going on that is really unnecessary. The advice needs to cater to the user's level of experience/ability so these questions are very valid.

One of the biggest advantages of doing a full-body movement program is the time savings. You can do something like Stronglifts which is only 3-4 exercises a day, 3x a week. 30-45 mins can knock it out.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I gotta look into stronglifts and I really need to buy NROLFW.

I just finished a 40 minutes workout with dumbells for my bicep, tricep and shoulders. I'm feeling it already so I think that splitting it up was a good idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Day A:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press

Day B:

Squat
    Pendlay Row
    Overhead press.

Three days a week, alternate A-B. And Voila, whole body worked in the most efficient way possible.

Boom....beat me to it. Full body is the exact opposite of time consuming isolation, assistance work. These lifts should be at the core of any lifting regimen.
  • MsEndomorph
    Options

Day A:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press

Day B:

Squat
    Pendlay Row
    Overhead press.

Boom....beat me to it. Full body is the exact opposite of time consuming isolation, assistance work. These lifts should be at the core of any lifting regimen.

I don't know how to quote more than one person, but thanks to the multiple people who gave me info! I don't doubt it - but I'm not really creating my own workout right now...just following a list from my trainer. I'm sure she'd switch me to a full body workout, but I'm not really sure I'm seeing a benefit over splitting? Once I add in my cardio on separate days (which I tend to prefer when I'm doing full body) I think the time commitment would be the same. Is there some other benefit to doing it all at once? And doesn't doing the same thing week after week get boring?
  • GetSoda
    Options
    When you squat:
    You engage your entire rear posterior chain. Glutes, hamstrings.
    You engage your quadriceps, calves.
    To keep the bar in place and good form, you engage your "core" and create stability.
    You even, to some degree, have your shoulders and arms under tension.
    One rep works all of those muscles at once, IN UNISON, the way the body is designed to work.

vs isolation to work the same muscles:

When you do a leg extension you work:
    Your quadriceps in an unnatural way.

Squatting takes about the same amount of time.

When you bench press, You engage your deltoids, triceps, lats, and if you're bracing, your legs, hips, and "Core" for stability. Even your neck depending on style. Everything works together to move you through a natural motion.

When you do a tricep kickback you:
    Work your tricep in an unnatural way.

Do you see the difference now?

That's not to say isolation is trash or has no use. Isolation can be used once you're more advanced and find you lack in a particular area. Maybe your chest is good ina bench press, but your triceps are weak and you need to throw in other exercises. Though the se are typically compound too - close grip bench, dips...

Hamstring curls might be really handy if you end up quad dominant.

Curls can help with chinups. Or just to get hyooge guns if that's what you like.

Isolation is also useful for bringing up VISUAL muscle imbalances, toward symmetry. More bodybuilding stuff there.
  • MsEndomorph
    Options
    I understand that. I'm not doing isolation for the most part.

Last week looked like this:
    Day 1: Jumping Lunges, Mountain climbers, box squats w/barbell, jump squat w/barbell, and weighted lunges

Day 2: Military press, lateral raise, front raise, push ups, bench press, rear delt raise, arc press

Day 3: Planks, glute bridges, cable kick backs, calf raises, incline sit-ups.

Day 4: Good Mornings, that thing where you sort of lie down and pull the bar toward you? T-bar something? No clue what it's called...etc.

So. I'm not sitting around doing bicep curls on a machine. I'm just trying to figure out the benefit of working literally every single muscle in one day. Is it faster results? Fewer things to worry about?
  • elizzieliz1977
    Options
    You can do abs as many times a week as you want. You should do arms and back one day and legs on another day. It helps you focus more on those muscles. Abs and cardio you can do everyday.
  • GetSoda
    Options

Day 1: Jumping Lunges, Mountain climbers, box squats w/barbell, jump squat w/barbell, and weighted lunges

Day 2: Military press, lateral raise, front raise, push ups, bench press, rear delt raise, arc press

Day 4: Good Mornings, that thing where you sort of lie down and pull the bar toward you? T-bar something? No clue what it's called...etc.

So. I'm not sitting around doing bicep curls on a machine. I'm just trying to figure out the benefit of working literally every single muscle in one day. Is it faster results? Fewer things to worry about?

Efficiency really. A beginner is better off just doing ohp/military press and progressing than to do front, lateral, or other deltoid exercises ad naseum. You can ask my shoulder what overuse injuries feel like. :)

What sort of progression plan are you on? Where's your deadlifts?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to make up the numbers for ironanimals side. It must be bromance!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Day 2 has got to be brutal on your shoulders. I'd look at changing things up. I would focus on upper and lower alternating each day. Day 1 - OHP, Day 2 - Deadlifts, Day 3 - Bench Press, Day 4 - Squats. You can add additional exercises on those days that compliment the areas being worked as well as the antagonist muscles (opposite side) that need to be balanced.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Only once you spot my squat. :wink:
  • GetSoda
    Options
    Only once you spot my squat. :wink:

np: Unchained Melody