HELP! Treadmill or Circuit/Intensity Training

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
I'm 5'4" and now weigh 134. My goal weight is 120. I lost the first 6 pretty fast, but then it seemed to slow down. I did Jillian Michaels circuit training for a little over a week and loved it, but didn't feel like I was burning many calories. I think that's because there's no way I can know unless I get a heart rate monitor. Optimally, I would love to burn about 500 cal./day. I figured I should run so that I can get rid of my "stomach", but I really get bored when I run (takes an hour to burn 500). I actually loathe it now. I've tried splitting it into 2 separate workouts, but it doesn't work well with my schedule. Do you think I'd get results with circuit training as well? Anybody done circuit training and lost weight rather quickly? I'm in a wedding in 3 weeks and would love to lose a few more pounds.Thanks for your imput! smile

Replies

• aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    The circuit training might not get you to your pound goal but it will really tone you up. Try the 30 day shred, that's perfect for a 3 week goal.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just want to *look* smaller...the number isn't necessarily what I'm concerned about. I guess you're right- toning will change the way I look.Thanks!
  • aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    I've been doing circuit training & it definitely shrank me. The scale says 13-ish pounds (depends on what day it is) but that was 2 pants sizes. Good luck!
  • Racing_hotty
    Options
    I also get bored when trying to do cardio for a whole hour, so I actually do 1/2 hour of cardio, and 1/2 hour of circuit training, that way I get a little of both every day, and it seems to work out great, and it doesn't seem to wear my muscles out either.
  • pnwcowboy
    pnwcowboy Posts: 8
    Options
    I have done circuit training and yes you can lose weight fast depending on how hard you work urself , I havent plateau'd since I took it serious ,but having said that it is hard work . My suggestion is do both circuit training and running or mix the running in with the sets , its also called crossfit,example: we do 5 exercises as fast asap then run 1 lap around the track then we start all over, AMRAPn30= as many reps as possible in 30 mins.It keeps ur metabolism burning calories up to 38 hours after you've done the workout. And a good diet , suggest eating all natural protein ,fiber, and fat,and a protein shake 100% WHEY after working out .Hope this helps.
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    do u belong to a gym?
    i have some great circuit training classes that i have noticed a big difference over 2-3 weeks, my shoulders are more defined and i feel stronger, my legs look great and i have a lot of energy. plus when your in a class (at least for me) i am more apt to not give up b/c i see others not giving up, you gradually increase the wts your using and see lots of results, i highly recommend it. use the treadmill/eliptical when you don't have as much time to spend, then at least you did something!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've found. I get a higher calorie burn if I run outside. I burn 10-12 calories/minute. I prefer to do interval runs or weight loss mode runs on the treadmill. It definitely changes things up.

You might look into Jillian's 30 Day Slimdown.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Do both, switch it up every few days. Your body won't become used to each activity and therefor will allow more weight loss and toning than by doing only one. I love doing 30 day shread, zumba, and yoga for video work outs and either trail running/ treadmill for cardio (also, jumping rope is great cardio) and weight training every other day for increased muscle mass.