Halloween horror?

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Throw it in the trash. Why buy it in the first place??

Because you don't want to be the lame, curmudgeon dick who turns off his lights on the neighborhood children? It's called "fun."

I dont find passing out candy to kids fun. I turn the lights off and watch a movie upstairs or go out for the evening.

It's not that I don't find it fun, but I live alone, so answering the door over and over again for strangers is not my idea of fun or safety, so I always skip Halloween.

I'll be at the gym anyway and then I will be catching up on my fall shows.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Buy candy you don't particularly like! It's an incentive to hand it all out.

THIS
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Chilli7777 wrote: »
    Ive had a huge costco bucket of candy in my wardrobe thats been in there for weeka and remains unopened. We bought it for halloween as the closer it gets they tend to run out of stock. My freezer is full of cinnamon donuts which the kids take to school and my husband has a snack stash cupboard. I never feel tempted and just don't eat it. My sugar cravings went away around week 2 as i eat really wholesome food now and am nourishing my body. If you still eat sugar, even if you stick to your calories, youll always struggle.

That's a pretty wild generalisation. I have a sweet treat every day and haven't struggled through 80lbs down.

That part. I am pretty sure I have something sweet everyday also and i have lost 150 lbs. It may be a small piece of dark chocolate or chocolate covered peanuts but if I want it, I have it.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I dont find passing out candy to kids fun. I turn the lights off and watch a movie upstairs or go out for the evening.

It stopped being fun many years ago when hulking teenagers holding pillow cases and not even making an attempt at a costume started hitting my old neighborhood shaking people down for candy. "Trick or treat MFer" isn't exactly what I'd call fun. I've also lived for the past decade or so in secure buildings so there aren't any kids (or teenagers) coming by. If there were, I'd go out for the evening too.

I think for the last few decades, parents with half a brain tend to trick or treat at houses they know rather than dropping off kids to hit up random houses. That at least is my experience with it.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The little Halloween angel on one should loudly nags at me to get Butterfingers, which I hate and my husband loves. The little Halloween devil on the other should whispers "Reeses Cups....Snickers....Hershey Bars....Kit Kats...." Hmmm, wonder which one I am going to listen to! o:)>:)
  • mewickla
    mewickla Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Also, disliked candy doesn't necessarily mean crappy candy. I absolutely hate Snickers & Milky Ways, but I'd rather buy those than be the house that hands out boxes of raisins and Necco wafers. If you're gonna be *that* house, why bother?
  • MaryOves
    MaryOves Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't hate me, but not tempted by candy. Luckily don't have to give out cheese for Halloween, then I'd be in trouble!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

It stopped being fun many years ago when hulking teenagers holding pillow cases and not even making an attempt at a costume started hitting my old neighborhood shaking people down for candy. "Trick or treat MFer" isn't exactly what I'd call fun. I've also lived for the past decade or so in secure buildings so there aren't any kids (or teenagers) coming by. If there were, I'd go out for the evening too.

I think for the last few decades, parents with half a brain tend to trick or treat at houses they know rather than dropping off kids to hit up random houses. That at least is my experience with it.

A lot of malls and whatnot also invite a lot of kids in...we rarely get trick or treat in our neighborhood...maybe a handful of neighborhood kids and that's it. We have our own kids, so we're out and about with them so not home to hand out candy anyway.

We have some friends that live in a neighborhood that really goes all out decorating and whatnot...we take our kids there and then have pizza with our friends when we're done...it's fun.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    We live on a street with only a few kids on it, so I buy just enough to make a little goodie bag for each of them (plus a few extras in case we have some unexpected trick or treaters). I have four kids myself, so leftovers are promptly disposed of :D. My two older kids bring stuff home from school, and all except the baby go trick or treating themselves, but that's their candy, not mine. I might skim one or two things that I really like and are worth it, but I'd rather have some good dark chocolate, as others have mentioned.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits your calories,you should be able to eat the candy you like. Halloween is only once a year in October so might as well enjoy it.

May be fine, for one day. Think a lot of people have issues with eating the stash for a couple weeks before and all the way to Thanksgiving.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boxes of full-sized bars, a big Costco tin of pretzels and a huge bag of non-chocolate candy. I am not particularly a candy person so I can abstain, but my house is the go-to house for Halloween. Full sized bars FTW.

I usually do full size bars but went way overboard and went with king size this year - and pretty much a shopping cart full. I am not a huge candy person so I am not really worried about going crazy, and I usually try to have other stuff I can snack on so I really just don't need it. But of course I snack on things like ice cream or cookies - I just am sure to fit them in my calorie goals. If I did really want some candy I would be ok with it, again it is just a matter of fitting it in my calories (but honestly I would rather have cookies or cake or ice cream).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

Do you chase them off your lawn too?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Returning to report I bought $40 worth of aero bars, butter fingers and Swedish fish/berries thanks to this thread reminding me lol
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    lissmayer wrote: »
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Throw it in the trash. Why buy it in the first place??

Because you don't want to be the lame, curmudgeon dick who turns off his lights on the neighborhood children? It's called "fun."
    Gaining weight & being obese is not fun.

Please demonstrate, using calorie math, how it is possible for a normal-weight person to become obese by eating candy for one day. Show your work.

These threads show up on this board every single year. Every. Single. Year. So none of us has to relitigate all this, let me just let everyone know how it will go.

1. Someone posts in a panic because they have suddenly remembered that grocery stores sell candy.

2. A dozen or two newbie dieting evangelists jump in to lecture everyone about how sugar is EVIL and candy is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY TO LIFE and no one should be eating it, or if they do, they should only be eating dark chocolate harvested out of fairy rings on full moons by well-paid virgins in fair-trade countries, with a cocoa level of exactly 94.78 percent and not a tenth more or less. This should be eaten one square per day, in a heart-shaped whirlpool bathtub, while listening to Vivaldi and being fanned by cabana boys.

3. People who have been in the game longer or are maintaining try to point out that, unless it triggers a binge or something, there's nothing wrong with eating candy one day a year. Also, it's fun for the kids, ffs don't be such a Scrooge.

4. Someone, or multiple someones, will sniff that the kids shouldn't be eating candy either, that clearly their parents are raising them wrong, and it is the job and moral duty of adults on Halloween to save children's souls from sliding into a seductive and damning game of Hell Comes to Candyland by handing out raisins and toothbrushes.

5. Someone, or multiple someones, get their houses TP'd, and most of the Item 3 people think it serves them right.

6. Halloween comes and goes. Everyone wakes up in the morning and discovers that they have not exploded into Snickers-colored spheres in the night like Violet Beauregard. Some of the Item 2 people, a little sheepish at having discovered that the Halloween Food Apocalypse didn't amount to much after all, will become the Item 3 people next year.

Repeat, yearly, until the board dies or the planet does.

I'm a category 3 person, but where do I find these cabana boys from category 2?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like where this thread has gone. Mmm cabana boys.

I'm actually torn on whether to buy candy for Halloween. Here is Australia it's slowly becoming a thing, a few years ago you'd struggle to find decorations except for specialty party stores, this year stores are actually decorated for it. But trick or treating isn't really a thing yet - my MILs neighbourhood had a leaflet drop saying to put something Halloween-y on your front door if you're handing out candy so the parents know which houses to take their kids too, but my neighbourhood hasn't done anything like that. I do live across the road from a primary school, though, so there's definitely potential kids.

I don't want to not have candy if they knock, but the only thing I have in the house is liqueur chocolates, and... well, last time I handed those out, no one was impressed. I might buy a few bags of funsize snickers (can I hand out Snickers? Is Halloween a no nuts event?) and freeze them if I get to keep them.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I actually bought toys to give out. Glow-in-the-dark bracelets and silly stretchy hand things.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I actually bought toys to give out. Glow-in-the-dark bracelets and silly stretchy hand things.

Allergy parents will really appreciate this, teal pumpkin project and whatnot