Caloric deficiency?

Options
I've been following a 1200 calorie a day diet and kickboxing 5 times a week. Each session of kickboxing burns approximately 865 calories.
Overall in the last 3 weeks I've lost 9 lbs. but in the past 9 days I've only lost 1 lb. :s Lately I have been eating less than my 1200 allowance and am wondering if that's the culprit...Maybe I'm not getting enough calories/nutrition. Any advice or tips?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You are not going to lose weight each & every day. Too many factors influence the number on the scale at any given moment. Water weight from TOM/hormones, sodium, muscle repair, etc.

Do eat enough to fuel your body. Eating very low can have negative consequences like vitamin/mineral deficiencies, low energy/fatigue, damage to hair/skin/nails.

Hopefully your goal is to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable manner. That means taking care of yourself. It also requires patience. Try not to compare your weight day to day or even week to week. Look at the longer term trends to negate the temporary effects of water weight.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    suarez73 wrote: »
    Overall in the last 3 weeks I've lost 9 lbs.
    3 lbs per week in 3 weeks is actually pretty fast (recommended healthy range is 1-2 lbs per week / no more than 1% body weight per week loss if you want it to be mostly fat loss)

suarez73 wrote: »
    but in the past 9 days I've only lost 1 lb.
    There is nothing wrong with that. In the past 4 weeks you have lost 10 lbs which is actually really fast (not recommended for health or sustainablity). That's an average of 2.5 lbs per week. You should expect your rate of loss to slow down. Some weeks you will lose a lot, some none at all, and some you might see a slight gain. It's normal. Keep in mind however that you should expect to keep seeing a loss of 3 lbs per week or even averaging 2.5 lbs per week unless you are fairly obese. Even then it will eventually slow down. If your deficit is too large, your body will start using it's lean body mass (bones, muscle, organs, ect) for fuel as well as fat. This can cause serious health problems down the road (I don't think you have to worry just yet if you just started losing weight...faster than normal weight loss is typical in the first few weeks of calorie restriction....long term however it can be dangerous).
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. You can't expect to lose 3 pounds a week regularly. It seems a lot by the way.
    Don't go under 1200 calories a day and eat some of your exercise calories back.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Its only been nine days. If you are 100% on point with your calorie consumption, then you are losing weight still.. A 1 pound weight fluction is well with in a normal weight range.. Keep in mind weight loss is NOT linear, there will be weeks when you lose and some you do not..

Keep doing what you are doing and be patience..

I will throw caution, 1200 calories seems quite low and adding to the fact that you are doing intensive exercise secessions can be a bad mix. Also going under your goal is never ever a good idea and if not eating back any exercise calories, well this too can be an issue. .
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

You are at too high of a deficit.
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you lost weigh every day you would disappear. 1200 isn't sufficient unless you are very petite and don't really exercise hardly ever. You lost 9 pounds rapidly because your body thinks it's starving. Do a refeed day, bump up your calories to 1500 or so, and keep at it.
  • Koljandertjie69
    Koljandertjie69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We all hit a plateau sometimes. There is a really nice article about it under Blogs for October which explains why this happens. Honestly I recently stood still for 3 weeks and then I started losing weight again as normal. I was just glad that I was not gaining weight :) . good luck
  • suarez73
    suarez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Its only been nine days. If you are 100% on point with your calorie consumption, then you are losing weight still.. A 1 pound weight fluction is well with in a normal weight range.. Keep in mind weight loss is NOT linear, there will be weeks when you lose and some you do not..

Keep doing what you are doing and be patience..

I will throw caution, 1200 calories seems quite low and adding to the fact that you are doing intensive exercise secessions can be a bad mix. Also going under your goal is never ever a good idea and if not eating back any exercise calories, well this too can be an issue. .

That's what I was thinking as well. No, I'm not eating my exercise calories back. Overall I guess I have achieved a lot in 3 weeks...Thanks!
  • suarez73
    Options
    Eat more.

You are at too high of a deficit.

Thanks, I think you're right...
  • suarez73
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I just needed to hear it and look at the overall picture. :)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale and weighing everything? No measuring cups, etc.?? Either way it sounds like you have lost a lot already and are on a good track. My only point is unless you use a scale you can get some really large swings in your intake.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Eventually you will bonk on such few calories.

Have you noticed any other symptoms of under-eating such as fatigue, irritability, confusion, inability to complete a workout? Next up: hair loss, brittle fingernails, depression.

Eat, lovely! It will be good for you.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    vassar15 wrote: »
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Please explain the concept of too high a deficit. She's eating 1,200, exercising 900, and netting 300.

As long as she not consumed with hunger pangs all day and all night and feels like she's starving herself, why is this a problem? Also, the weight is coming off slowly, unlike the Biggest Loser fiasco.

Thanks in advance.

If those numbers are accurate, she's giving her body only 300kcal to survive on the entire day. That's a problem, no matter how you want to rationalize it.

If you have specifics, I would like to get educated.

You need specifics on why 300 net calories for the day is not a good idea?
    Eventually you will bonk on such few calories.

Have you noticed any other symptoms of under-eating such as fatigue, irritability, confusion, inability to complete a workout? Next up: hair loss, brittle fingernails, depression.

Eat, lovely! It will be good for you.

OP hasn't bonked yet.

Wouldn't eating in a way to prevent bonk be a good idea?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yes. OP hasn't complained, other than not happy about her weight loss.

Why do you think eating 300 calories a day is a good idea? Do you do this?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes. OP hasn't complained, other than not happy about her weight loss.

:trollface: please say :trollface:
This discussion has been closed.