Food Scale Recommendations

Options
I'm thinking about getting a food scale. I'd like a good one, but something that's not overly expensive. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    if you get a low profile one, i didnt realize that once i put my plate on there and start weighing food, the numbers get covered by the plate. the work around is to first put a small cereal bowl on the scale, then i can put my dinner plate on top of the bowl, zero the scale, then add my 8 oz of chicken, zero it again, add 1 cup of rice (in grams), etc...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1540&bih=710&q=food+scale&oq=food+scale&gs_l=img.3..0l7j0i5l3.4497.5985.0.6116.10.10.0.0.0.0.102.746.9j1.10.0....0...1ac.1.21.img.TRL8S46QNIc
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was looking into buying a food scale too, and posted about it a few days ago. Check out this thread for people's suggestions; it sounds like Ozeri's a nice brand that's not too expensive. =)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044659-food-scales
  • kristendayle
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    A food scale is a food scale, they all do the same thing. I have a cheap-o from walmart cost me like $6 and it works great.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    I use a postage scale. Its digital so I assume accurate. Office supply stores sell them.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    BFL
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I got a good one called Escali from Groupon for a great deal. I love mine!
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a digital Ozeri, I like it a lot, it gives consistent and accurate readings. I think I paid around $14.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Just bought a Taylor at Target for 24.99. Works just great. I am very happy with it. I know I could have done better by shopping around, but I decided just to pay the $, get it and start using it.

Observations: I am pretty good at estimating. Shredded cheese: you get a LOT more than you thought. Shredded parm? A LOT less.

J
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have a nice low profile one I've used for two years.

Make sure it's:
    Digital

Has two declimal points. Mine has one. That's fine for cooking (what I bought it for). But I can't use it to weight nuts, for example. Even 10 nuts. And I eat them one at a time.

I recommend on that takes several pounds. That way you can weigh things in bowls and subtract out (tare) the weight of the bowl. I also use it, for example, to measure whole cakes so I can know exactly how much individual servings weight on average.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital food scale at Wal-Mart for $16 and it's one of the best investments I made for my diet, i love it!
  • TS3g
    TS3g Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a digital Ozeri, I like it a lot, it gives consistent and accurate readings. I think I paid around $14.

Same thing here. Best purchase so far concerning weight loss and tracking what I eat. It was kind of shocking the first time I weighed what I thought was a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser Scale from Walmart, paid about $15, and works perfectly.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap digital one from Tesco.

Things you might want to look for:

1) Ability to put plates/bowls on it.
    2) Zero/Tare function/button and able to display negative numbers (e.g. handy when I stick my pack of raisins on the scale, hit tare, pour some into my hand, stick the bag back on the scale and, unless I want exactly 30 grams, remove the negative symbol and log it).
    3) Accuracy - mine is accurate to 2 grams or 0.1 ounces, which is sufficient for me.
    4) Maximum weight (including any plate/bowl) - mine is OK for 5 kg or 11 pounds.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree that you don't need fancy. I went super cheap at Target and it works perfectly.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap digital one from Tesco.

Things you might want to look for:

1) Ability to put plates/bowls on it.
    2) Zero/Tare function/button and able to display negative numbers (e.g. handy when I stick my pack of raisins on the scale, hit tare, pour some into my hand, stick the bag back on the scale and, unless I want exactly 30 grams, remove the negative symbol and log it).
    3) Accuracy - mine is accurate to 2 grams or 0.1 ounces, which is sufficient for me.
    4) Maximum weight (including any plate/bowl) - mine is OK for 5 kg or 11 pounds.

Good points! The zero/tare feature is huge. I use it all the time.
  • spudula6
    Options
    Does the tesco one do negative measurements?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Soehnle basic square digital model. Has tare and the option to switch between unit systems (g and oz). Small but feisty and comes in a range of colours. Have had mine since 2009. I weigh mail on it too.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

OMG, I never thought to use the scale to do this. Thanks.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My Soehnle does the negative number, too. Really handy.