Replies

• todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday.
  • supermanda28
    supermanda28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try and aim for once a week to log my weight BUT I have a hard time lasting that long. I normally crumble & step on the scale every 2-3 days but only log my weekly weight. I slide the scale under my bed so I'm not tempted to weigh everyday because I know I will get obsessed with the numbers.
  • bunnyrides09
    bunnyrides09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BlastMom44 wrote: »
    I have heard so many different opinions on this and was curious to know what y'all thought. Some say that weighing in every day is a good way to keep yourself on track and others say that it can be discouraging when you're not losing any weight. I personally weigh myself every morning (out of habit) and get extra motivated when the scale isn't moving. It makes me work harder in my workouts and eat cleaner meals.

How to y'all track your weight? Daily? Weekly? Not at all?

It depends on the day for me. I weigh most days. Sometimes it makes me give in and say I'm happy with my size. Other days it kicks me in the butt and makes me move. For the most part though I think it as least keeps me from overdoing things.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Almost every day. If I know a higher number will bum me out and I'm expecting a higher number due to water retention, a cheat day, etc., I'll skip the scale. I like seeing the trends though, and I'm working on attaching less emotion to the number.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Usually, every morning...but I'm out of town and haven't been on a scale all week...not sure that's a good thing...guess I'll find out Saturday...
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Almost daily - unless I'm feeling particularly bloated. Then I skip it. ;-) It's a tool. Don't obsess over it. I do other things to track progress; Measurements, body fat testing, etc. The scale is just another tool, but it fluctuates a lot more than the other tools due to things like water weight, whether you pooped that day or not...lol
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a day, once in the morning that I track on here and once in the evening to see how much I am going to weigh the next morning. If I knew how to do a spreadsheet I would do that also but right now I track my weight once per day so I can see whats trending.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    A couple times a week only after the days I spend effort to lose. I monitor my wt on a weekly basis so obviously wt is allowed to go up and down.

It's pointless for me to weigh to know I gain.

Only important to weigh to know if my effort is on track.

Minimal work.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Weekly :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Daily weigher here. I have a Fitbit Aria scale - syncs to Fitbit which syncs to MFP and Trendweight. It definitely helps me be mindful of water weight fluctuations and to see how my overall trend is going. For some people that doesn't work - the fluctuations drive them crazy - but I like to see them and reflect on how my eating choices affect my body day by day.

This is my method exactly, with the same equipment. I used to do weekly weigh-ins, but I found that more disheartening than daily weighing and see the fluctuations. Because what happens if the day you chose as your day to weigh-in is the start of ovulation or PMS? I gain water weight during both of those times, so I would be doing all of this work and see no results and get a little frustrated.

Now, I know to look at the overall picture. Check where I'm at in my cycle, think about if any of my food choices have changed, think if any of my workouts have progressed that would have caused DOMS.

For example, today I "gained" .8lbs, but I just started lifting yesterday and my period is due in a day or two which means I'm actually shocked I only "gained" .8 and not more. I actually went to sleep yesterday thinking to myself that the scale was going to go up due to A) DOMS B ) period gain or C ) both A & B.

TLDR; I weigh daily to help me focus on the overall picture.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Daily, via a Withings smart scale, but I use my weekly average as my "true" weight. I used to keep a spreadsheet on my phone that calculated the average and showed me daily and weekly trend lines. Now that I've accomplished the bulk of my desired weight loss I'm a lot less concerned with it. I just look at the Weekly Report email Withings sends me every Monday morning and keep track that way.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My routine is daily weighing. After I get up and conduct my morning "evacuation" I weigh. I do not update the weight here except around once per month...I prefer to weigh daily so I can see the mass loss.... Eventhough I have a huge pile of slacks rolled up on the guest bed I can no longer wear!! yay!!
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I read someplace that weighing everyday keeps you honest and aware. The down side is when you go up slightly and it bothers you. BTW I have lost 107 pounds in 9 months
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    I weigh every day. I read someplace that weighing everyday keeps you honest and aware. The down side is when you go up slightly and it bothers you. BTW I have lost 107 pounds in 9 months

Great job!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Every day. I have a smart scale so it automatically gets into my Health app and I have historical data easily. Along with logging accurately it is a no nonsense way to keep myself straight. I also like to see the regular fluctuations that go along with my hormonal cycle, so I know when that "eat all the things" week is coming I can adjust.
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Daily, but track the slope of the line over 30 days via excel to see how I'm doing.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    mullaneywt wrote: »
    Daily, but track the slope of the line over 30 days via excel to see how I'm doing.

I like what you said. If you log on MFP you can look at reports and see the slope as well
  • luvmylife2016
    luvmylife2016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a once a weeker. I get discouraged if the scale doesn't move as fast as I want. Sometimes even when it is moving I get overconfident. So once a week just to be sure the progress is there.
  • 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tried to weigh myself everyday recently at the gym but seeing the scale go up and down from day to day was discouraging for me. I'm not gonna weigh myself til the 1st of November. And maybe from then on every week or two. It helps to give myself a small goal to work towards and surprise myself even if it's a half a pound. I know that it's real weight lost.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Usually daily but sometimes I skip a day and other times I check at different times the same day to look at fluctuations.