How to cut back on sugar without being miserable?

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Kate157120 wrote: »
    I am absolutely addicted to sugar. I want to cut way back, but the headaches and weakness I have felt in past attempts have driven me straight back to the candy aisle. Does anyone have tips for doing this with a minimum of suffering? Is it possible to gradually step down, instead of going cold-turkey? Is there any sort of substitute that will give my brain the same hit without the calories? I swear this is like withdrawal.

Part of it could be the electrolytes as another poster mentioned. When you cut carbs you will lose water weight and with that you lose electrolytes. You'll probably need more sodium for a while. If you are actually getting to low carb levels (below 150g of carbs per day) you may need upwards of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's 1-2 teaspoons of salt.

Electrolyte imbalance symptoms will include headaches, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, muscle aches or spasms, and a bad mood. Salt tablets, a cup of broth per day or salt in your water may help.

Cutting back gradually might help.

And bacon.. you cannot forget about bacon!!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Kate157120 wrote: »
    I am absolutely addicted to sugar. I want to cut way back, but the headaches and weakness I have felt in past attempts have driven me straight back to the candy aisle. Does anyone have tips for doing this with a minimum of suffering? Is it possible to gradually step down, instead of going cold-turkey? Is there any sort of substitute that will give my brain the same hit without the calories? I swear this is like withdrawal.

Part of it could be the electrolytes as another poster mentioned. When you cut carbs you will lose water weight and with that you lose electrolytes. You'll probably need more sodium for a while. If you are actually getting to low carb levels (below 150g of carbs per day) you may need upwards of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's 1-2 teaspoons of salt.

Electrolyte imbalance symptoms will include headaches, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, muscle aches or spasms, and a bad mood. Salt tablets, a cup of broth per day or salt in your water may help.

Cutting back gradually might help.

And bacon.. you cannot forget about bacon!!!

Bacon would help. ;)

Huh, I haven't had bacon in a couple of months.... I'm a failure as a low carber. Hanging my head in shame.