Bad back?

Options
Anyone have any recommended exercises for building leg strength and size? Trying to stay away from squats. Thanks!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do you know the root cause of your "bad back"?
  • so_cal_fit70
    so_cal_fit70 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Had a microdiscectomy laminectomy L5 S1 6 years ago...Fully recovered but definitely don't want a re-injury
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you can't do barbell squats and DLs because of your bad back, the following machines are your only option: leg press, ham curls, quad extension and calf raise.

These machines will hit the legs/hips/glutes w/o putting too much stress on the back. They collectively aren't as good as just doing squats and DLs but you apparently have no other choice.

Good luck!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing done L4/L5 about 12 years ago. It was bad enough that I needed emergency surgery and one horrible doctor waited too long so there was some permanent nerve damage. Regardless, I did manage to re-injure/herniate several of my Lumbar discs last year walking too much and lifting so you are right to take it easy. Since that time though, I have learned a couple of things. 1) Yoga is your friend. 2) Bodyweight squats are ok to do. Beyond that I simply live with the fact that my leg muscles won't ever be that big because of the limitation of not wanting to put more than say 25-50 lbs of weight on my lower spine at a time.

Yoga saved me from surgery again (along with some very painful injections last summer/fall), so look into yoga for Sciatic pain which is the exact stuff you should probably learn (I do Press-Up and Press-Up extensions daily to keep the discs in their places). Next, build your core. I do planks daily now, pull ups, push ups, etc. anything I can do body weight without added weight works. The stronger your core the less chance you'll ever have a problem again. I do have a weight bench, but will only do free weights on it while laying on my back to work on my chest/arms. Even then I limit it to no more than 45 lbs per arm. Mostly I do core/upper body strength along with body weight squats, jogging, walking.

• jdoubleu1224
    jdoubleu1224 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had my spine fused at L5 S1 and have found doing single legged movements i.e. Lunges TRX leg routine and very little weighted work has kept me from aggravating my back but most of all listening to my body.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    varteaga26 wrote: »
    Had a microdiscectomy laminectomy L5 S1 6 years ago...Fully recovered but definitely don't want a re-injury

I'd get a session with a physical therapist preferably one that works with athletes. Let that person see your images, assess your movement and tell you what you should and should not do.

Best of luck.
  • so_cal_fit70
    so_cal_fit70 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Valuable information from all of you. Thank you! Especially taking note of the extra attention to core exercises. I've definitely been lucky to recover without pain and feel blessed. No more running unfortunately but being fairly pain free makes me grateful. Wishing you all continued recovery and healthy lifestyle.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Leg press, split squats, goblet squats, leg extension, leg curl, lunges, glute-ham raises, stiff leg deadlifts, and swing squats. I have an arthritic back so I do not do standard deadlifts or barbell squats.