Approximation of Calories

Options
I have been receiving baked goods recently and am curious how you approximate calories when weighing out servings. I have been able to get the recipes for the baked goods (like a loaf of banana bread) but because they are all made in batches (as in, multiple loaves are made from a single recipe, which are given out to multiple people) the loaf I receive is not the ENTIRE recipe (just one part of an entire batch) so when I weigh the piece out I am unsure how to know what a single serving actually weighs. I have used other generic sites like Starbucks, for example, that list the weight of their single serving baked goods and have approximated servings that way. So in other words, I pull up the nutritional facts for Starbucks Banana nut bread which is 125g per 420 calories, and then just use that to approximate the calories in baked goods by weight.

I obviously do not want to reject baked goods especially while bulking but I also do not want to be too cavalier with my counting during the process either. So is this probably the best/most accurate way to do things?

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    If they are willing to give you the recipe im sure they will tell you how many loaves it made. Take how much yours weighs and multiply by how many loaves..put recipe in builder, enter weight as servings, weigh what you eat, log that many servings.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    If they are willing to give you the recipe im sure they will tell you how many loaves it made. Take how much yours weighs and multiply by how many loaves..put recipe in builder, enter weight as servings, weigh what you eat, log that many servings.

Well, I did try that, but the loaf made not only 3 loaves but it also made 24 muffins. So I am a little unsure how to convert how many loaves 24 muffins would be haha...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to gain wait, does it really matter too much? Use the most sensible approximation and move on.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    ktekc wrote: »

Well, I did try that, but the loaf made not only 3 loaves but it also made 24 muffins. So I am a little unsure how to convert how many loaves 24 muffins would be haha...

Normally when i make a single loaf bread recipe it makes one loaf or 12 muffins..so id call it 5 loaves total.