weight gain from one MASSIVE binge (5000cal)

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok so yesterday morning I woke up and went on a massive binge. I ate anything I wanted but still tracked of the calories I was insanely consuming. by the end it was about 5000-5200. I normally eat around 1200-1300. the calculators give my maintenance intake at 1550 calories.

I know to gain one pound of fat you would have to eat an extra 3500 calories. so does this mean I've gained one pound of fat? it took weeks of hard work to just lose one pound so this is really really frustrating and I don't know what to do.

And no, I don't have a binging disorder. this was a planned fun day to treat myself a little but I got drunk and lost all self control and ate everything in site!

I'd bet that the 1550 maintenance is if your day was truly sedentary that you likely picked as your Activity Level.
    Most find that's below 4000 steps - which is really sedentary.

Now, for a day eating that much and not likely feeling like moving a lot or doing any workouts - may have been true.

But hopefully you've been eating more than bare minimum for sedentary woman, if you indeed normally do more.

Oh - you should gain more than 1 lb of weight, likely not much fat.

You probably had severely deficient carb stores that refilled with attached water.
    You likely ate much more sodium than normal so water retained there.
    You'll likely not have gotten rid of it all - body gets inefficient with digestion at certain levels so you didn't really get all those calories out of it anyway, and what's left isn't gone yet.
    And metabolism has been shown to ramp up after a short (like 1 day) overfeeding, not enough to burn off the extra eaten of course, but still more than normal, plus about 10% of calories eaten is used for processing the food anyway beyond that.

So you weren't in surplus as much as the numbers might suggest - but you'll gain more water weight anyway.

Suggest figuring out why it happened, and what can be done to assist not doing it again. If truly the odd day after great adherence schedule, then fine.
    But if dieting for a long while - perhaps time to take a whole maintenance week, eat what you burn each day, which will be more that 1550.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the support! I will get back to my healthy routine and not let this happen again.
    Also, I work night shifts and go to sleep at 5am so my "morning" starts sometime after 11:30am. anyway, I obviously didn't start with the alcohol! I had my breakfast and then snacks and then slowly went into binge along with the drinking.

In this place, you just never know!!! :laugh: