Calorie value of strength training not displayed. Why?

Hi peops.
I've just started using this app, but I find when I add any strength training, it never fills in the calorie value of the exercise.
Why is this?
How do I get the required calorie values of my strength training to be included?

Thanks - D

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    Because it tracks weight and reps, but not time. Your reps could take 2 minutes or 20. The variation is so great that any projection of calories based on those figures would be useless.

There is, however, a "strength training" entry under the cardiovascular tab which will add calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Because you are logging it in the tracking area where you track your progress not in the area where you get calories. Log "strength training" under cardio - the calories will probably be hugely inflated but that's how you get them.
  • DafTekno
    DafTekno Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks.

I can't find this Strength tab when in Cardio though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    DafTekno wrote: »
    Thanks.

I can't find this Strength tab when in Cardio though.

Just search for "strength"
  • DafTekno
    Many Thanks.

But now it's asking ME for the amount of calories burnt!
    I have no idea.
    I thought that was the idea of the calculator aspect of the app..?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Following because I don't understand this either!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited October 2016
    Many Thanks.

I have no idea.

There's no possible way for the app to accurately predict a calorie burn for generic strength training. Way too many variables. Somebody doing a powerlifting routine with heavy compound exercises would burn more than somebody doing "bicep day" on a bro split program. Somebody doing a circuit/superset routine with short rest periods will burn more than somebody doing a 3x5 with 5 minute rests between sets. Some people go in the gym and hit the weights hard, others can spend an hour in there and not accomplish much at all. Et cetera, et cetera.

It doesn't burn as much as you think - just plug in 200 calories (for an hour workout) and call it good.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Many Thanks.

I have no idea.

I don't know where you're looking, but if you choose the strength training option under cardio, it asks you for the MINUTES and then calculates a calorie burn from that.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Many Thanks.

I have no idea.

I don't know where you're looking, but if you choose the strength training option under cardio, it asks you for the MINUTES and then calculates a calorie burn from that.

Not when I do it,it doesn't. It still asks for calories?
  • comptonelizabeth
    Oh hang on,you're right -my apologies
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Many Thanks.

I have no idea.

There's no possible way for the app to accurately predict a calorie burn for generic strength training. Way too many variables. Somebody doing a powerlifting routine with heavy compound exercises would burn more than somebody doing "bicep day" on a bro split program. Somebody doing a circuit/superset routine with short rest periods will burn more than somebody doing a 3x5 with 5 minute rests between sets. Some people go in the gym and hit the weights hard, others can spend an hour in there and not accomplish much at all. Et cetera, et cetera.

It doesn't burn as much as you think - just plug in 200 calories (for an hour workout) and call it good.

^^^^^^ Yeah, Just this.... No way would MFP understand my 3x5, followed by 4x12 volume work, Bike\Rower Sprints etc.... So just add a few calories and call it that..

Or work out TDEE calories, which include calories from lifting etc, and eat that, -500 if cutting, +500 if bulking, +/- 0 is Maintaining... Simple..
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Many Thanks.

I have no idea.

This is what I do - well, I add 100 calories because my Stronglifts 5x5 workout is pretty short. I want the extra calories to help me build muscle and adding 100 doesn't seem to have made me gain weight so is probably about right.

• DafTekno
    I asked one of the personal trainers at my local GoodLife gym how to calculate calories from a workout and this is what he said:
    "Get yourself heart rate monitor chest belt, like the Polar one that comes with a wrist watch monitor, then link it to a smart phone app.
    This will then calculate the calories burnt during your workout incredibly accurately!
    The intensity of your heart rate over the time spent directly equates to calories burnt."

Nice one!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I asked one of the personal trainers at my local GoodLife gym how to calculate calories from a workout and this is what he said:
    "Get yourself heart rate monitor chest belt, like the Polar one that comes with a wrist watch monitor, then link it to a smart phone app.
    This will then calculate the calories burnt during your workout incredibly accurately!
    The intensity of your heart rate over the time spent directly equates to calories burnt."

Nice one!

The personal trainer is wrong. The polar HRM are made for steady state of cardio which lifting is not.

• AnvilHead
    edited October 2016
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Nice one!

The personal trainer is wrong. The polar HRM are made for steady state of cardio which lifting is not.

^ This.

The algorithms used in heart rate monitors to calculate calorie burns are based upon steady state cardio. Strength training is not steady state, so the calorie burns will not be accurate and will most likely be overstated.

Like I said above - just plug in 200 calories (for an hour workout) and call it good.
  • AnvilHead