Bulk struggles

Options
I don't know what I'm looking for anyone to tell me, but my bulk is getting sloppy and I'm trying to brainstorm what to do. I'm 9wks in and up 5lbs so far. Workouts are going well....definitely stronger and making progress. Where it's falling apart is with food though.

I'm gaining on a mere 1800cals. I feel so damned hungry some days, and I'm seriously starting to overeat. Not every day but a couple times a week or so.... I end up cutting calories on other days to try to even it out, but I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing...thinking ideally it should be the same daily to fuel workouts/recovery. Am I right here?

I don't know if I should try volume eating with more salads/veggies/fruit/low cal foods so I feel more satisfied and stop exceeding my goal. Or maybe I need to start doing some cardio....

Any thoughts on ways to handle this?

Replies

• robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise program?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in 9 wks isn't a bad ratio per sae.

How much is your surplus?

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Surplus is 250 (I'm small so i don't get to eat much). I don't think I've done too terrible with the gain so far but just feel like I'm starting to struggle to keep it at the same rate.... Just don't know if I can possibly tweak something....

And I'm following strong curves with some extra upper body work tacked on.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

Surplus is 250 (I'm small so i don't get to eat much). I don't think I've done too terrible with the gain so far but just feel like I'm starting to struggle to keep it at the same rate.... Just don't know if I can possibly tweak something....

I see.

Don't forget as your weight goes upward, your TDEE also grows higher, have you adjusted your calories intake for you weight gain?

• cnbbnc
    Options

I see.

Don't forget as your weight goes upward, your TDEE also grows higher, have you adjusted your calories intake for you weight gain?

I haven't.... Since I'm averaging a little more than 2lbs/mo I've been afraid to. Sooooo afraid of overpacking on the fat! Maybe I should do that though. Thanks.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you think you're gaining too fast why would you consider increasing your calories? Keep them where they are until your weight gain stalls.

One thing I find that helps with my hunger is calorie cycling. I intentionally do 1-2 lower calorie days a week which then allow me to indulge a bit more on other days whilst keeping my weekly surplus the same :)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats take longer to digest and will keep the hunger away for longer. Is there a pattern to your hunger?

I find a breakfast of eggs helps keep me going until lunch time, but cereal will leave me feeling hungry after a couple of hours.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't know what I'm looking for anyone to tell me, but my bulk is getting sloppy and I'm trying to brainstorm what to do. I'm 9wks in and up 5lbs so far. Workouts are going well....definitely stronger and making progress. Where it's falling apart is with food though.

I'm gaining on a mere 1800cals. I feel so damned hungry some days, and I'm seriously starting to overeat. Not every day but a couple times a week or so.... I end up cutting calories on other days to try to even it out, but I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing...thinking ideally it should be the same daily to fuel workouts/recovery. Am I right here?

I don't know if I should try volume eating with more salads/veggies/fruit/low cal foods so I feel more satisfied and stop exceeding my goal. Or maybe I need to start doing some cardio....

You gain is good over the time period. Your actual surplus is 277 calories. If you are struggling with hungry, then you should play with food combinations. More lean meats, egg whites mixed with eggs, low sugar veggies and fruits (potentially starches).
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I found that as my lifting program got heavier, & I was really working for my deadlifts & squats, it got harder to keep the weight gain going. Its like I was burning it up. That's when the real strength & muscle gains started. I tweaked the calories up slowly over a month or so to keep the half pound per week average. It takes time to really tell. Lift heavy.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It is a strange thing, but I remember feeling hungry somedays when I was bulking too... even with a ridiculous amount of cals. Definitely try to play with your macros a little, maybe a little more fibre and veggies too that help fill you up. Somedays I eat more, then the next day I eat a little less... I eat a lot more on weekends so I go with my weekly trend and it seems to even out. I think as long as you aren't cutting too much everyday you should be fine.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Have those 5 lbs come on pretty evenly over the 9 weeks, or was that mostly from the start of the bulk? I am assuming you are weighing often and tracking your weight trend or average, right?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I would not add in cardio.. this might make you hungrier, and also keep you from adhering to your surplus.

Macros is the first place I would look at. What combinations of macro give you satiety? I would not choose low calorie foods in general, but filling up on volume foods around a time of day when you are hungrier and for example pack a salad with tons of things to help meet macros.. also play with meal timing.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I would not add in cardio.. this might make you hungrier, and also keep you from adhering to your surplus.

Macros is the first place I would look at. What combinations of macro give you satiety? I would not choose low calorie foods in general, but filling up on volume foods around a time of day when you are hungrier and for example pack a salad with tons of things to help meet macros.. also play with meal timing.

Cardio is an interesting thing. It's never made me hungry. Weight lifting is the polar opposite for me. So it's possible the OP might benefit from some cardio if it doesn't cause her to over eat.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Did you jump from maintenance or a deficit to surplus?
    The reason I'm asking is that when I go from a deficit to even maintenance there's a couple lbs of water weight that show up in just a day or 2. That 5lb in 9 weeks may include water weight from increased carbs.
    Personally, I'd say 2lbs a month is pretty good.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Cardio is an interesting thing. It's never made me hungry. Weight lifting is the polar opposite for me. So it's possible the OP might benefit from some cardio if it doesn't cause her to over eat.

After I posted that, I did think about what I said, as I actually do cardio during my bulk.. but I eat back mine back .. but was not a huge fan of a recommendation to just go add cardio.. I was thinking making changes in diet/meal timing/finding ways to eat that will help her with satiety/keeping fuller for longer etc..

The idea is to gain some fat, boy do I get that being female and not ever wanting to abandon the bulk.

She is cutting calories on days to compensate for hunger/over eating days, so what is the best approach for this situation? I guess balance the surplus at the end of the week however she needs to get there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You could experiment with calorie cycling and eat bigger on lifting days and smaller on non lifting days (or vice versa depending on when you're getting those hungers) and maintain the same surplus for the week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

After I posted that, I did think about what I said, as I actually do cardio during my bulk.. but I eat back mine back .. but was not a huge fan of a recommendation to just go add cardio.. I was thinking making changes in diet/meal timing/finding ways to eat that will help her with satiety/keeping fuller for longer etc..

The idea is to gain some fat, boy do I get that being female and not ever wanting to abandon the bulk.

She is cutting calories on days to compensate for hunger/over eating days, so what is the best approach for this situation? I guess balance the surplus at the end of the week however she needs to get there.

I would imagine that is fine as long as it's not thousands of calories at the end of the week to make up for! I think it was @psulemon that mentioned something about keeping calories more on the consistent side which is better for muscle growth? (vs. really high then really low days like 5:2 or something etc). I don't remember where I read that
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I would imagine that is fine as long as it's not thousands of calories at the end of the week to make up for! I think it was @psulemon that mentioned something about keeping calories more on the consistent side which is better for muscle growth? (vs. really high then really low days like 5:2 or something etc). I don't remember where I read that

I guess you can look into calorie cycling. I personally like consistency with my calories and do not doing any fasting (24 hrs or 5:2)..

I need to say one last thing in my post, OP is around my age. Recovery and working towards how to best handle cardio is important, not just the calories.. SO again, however she needs to do this is certainly all fine. My thoughts were random at best..
  • cnbbnc
    edited October 2016
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Have those 5 lbs come on pretty evenly over the 9 weeks, or was that mostly from the start of the bulk? I am assuming you are weighing often and tracking your weight trend or average, right?
    Did you jump from maintenance or a deficit to surplus?
    The reason I'm asking is that when I go from a deficit to even maintenance there's a couple lbs of water weight that show up in just a day or 2. That 5lb in 9 weeks may include water weight from increased carbs.
    Personally, I'd say 2lbs a month is pretty good.

I had an initial big jump, part of which fell back off, and since it's been pretty consistent. I weigh daily and use a tracking app. The trend is what I go by to see where I'm at. My measurements are up slightly so I know I'm gaining.

Yeah....I think this was my biggest question but I suspect there's some difference of opinion on staggering calories. At any rate I'm going to play with foods and see what I can do. I'd rather not do cardio simply because of finding the time.... Thanks guys. :)
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2016
    Options

Calorie cycling is a good option for the OP, you eat a slightly bigger surplus on lifting days and more around maintenance on non lifting days. My initial comment was really directed at not trying to catch on at the end of the week since your body has limitations on being able to make muscle. And ideally, you want to stimulate protein synthesis as much as possible.

OP, also, don't be afraid of some cardio, as long as it doesn't impede recovery. Your calories are rather low, so the increase in calories burned could be beneficial to you. Personally, I will be doing HIIT if I bulk. I have no problem pounding down 3400 calories. I actually don't suggest dropping cardio unless you can't keep up.