Strength training exercises too simplified. How to make more realistic.

Hi again.

I've noticed that when you try to add any strength exercises, you cannot input different reps for the individual sets.
Nor can you add different weights for the individual sets either.

I always use different weighs for my 3 sets, as they are Warm Up, Heavy and Come Down sets.
I also often do different reps for each.

Having a massively simplified "1 set length and weight suits All" attitude is pretty meaningless for me.

I assume that this app isn't meant to function with strength training atall really, hence the lack of calorie values for them or the ability to input their data correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions to address these lacks of functionality within this otherwise impressive diet tracking app?
Thank you - D

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You have to go to CARDIO first, then select Strength within that section and you will see cals. Sorry, don't recall if that section has the other details you're asking for. There are prob some standalone apps that would give you what you are looking for.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    DafTekno wrote: »
    Hi again.

I've noticed that when you try to add any strength exercises, you cannot input different reps for the individual sets.
    Nor can you add different weights for the individual sets either.

I always use different weighs for my 3 sets, as they are Warm Up, Heavy and Come Down sets.
    I also often do different reps for each.

Having a massively simplified "1 set length and weight suits All" attitude is pretty meaningless for me.

I assume that this app isn't meant to function with strength training atall really, hence the lack of calorie values for them or the ability to input their data correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions to address these lacks of functionality within this otherwise impressive diet tracking app?
    Thank you - D

As you said, MFP isn't really set up to be a good weightlifting tracker. The only way you could do it with a workout like yours would be to add each set as its own separate exercise, which for me would be far more trouble than it's worth. Some people use other apps (Jefit, Strong, etc.) - personally, I use good old fashioned pen and paper.
  • vvilan
    vvilan Posts: 6 Member
    As you said, MFP isn't really set up to be a good weightlifting tracker. The only way you could do it with a workout like yours would be to add each set as its own separate exercise, which for me would be far more trouble than it's worth. Some people use other apps (Jefit, Strong, etc.) - personally, I use good old fashioned pen and paper.

1. I do this, too. MyFitnessPal needs to have a better tracking system by being able to manually add number of sets, reps, and weight just like Jefit:
    Set #1: ___ rep x ____ lbs/kg
    Set #2: ___ rep x ____ lbs/kg

2. Would be great if MyFitnessPal could do microloads, as well. I use chains, e.g. 2 chains = 1.25 lbs.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I have a notebook that i use to track reps, sets, weight. I don't find the strength section of MFP to be very useful. I do input it under cardio, to get a general calorie count.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited February 2017
    I use the strength tab and list all lifts, sets, and weights. You just have to enter them separately. Have a look at my exercise diary, I lifted and entered everything today. As for calories burned, you have to use the strength training option under cardiovascular tab.