Cooking for one ideas

Options
My husband is going out of town for two whole weeks and it'll just be me. Before I started trying to lose, it was fast food city. Now, I'm not sure what to do. Every meal I cook is four servings so we eat one night and have leftovers for the next. I can't see eating the same thing four meals in a row, but I guess I could. I also could do frozen entrees but I'm picky about the meat in those (generally think it's gross) and wouldn't get enough protein.

What are some ideas for one serving meals that are around 400 calories? Help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    While my adult daughter lives with me, I often cook for just one. I'll cook 2 chicken breasts about 1/2 pound each on the simple side so that I can either go mexican, italian or asian with seasonings and the same with salmon but I'll only cook one and have the other half for lunch the next day or dinner. I'm a no frills, basic eater (keeps me from being tempted). Before my divorce I would cook for 6 and I'm just now figuring how to cook for 1 or 2. Not sure if you have a Sprouts Market in your neighbor hood but they've got some great meals to go and some really terrific while cooked chickens.

Good luck and stay focused on your food diary!
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,709 Member
    Options
    I do something similar. I'll grill 4-6 chicken breasts and use them throughout the week on salads, or as a main entrée. I'll do the same with salads. Make them on Sunday and they'll last most of the work week.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Omelets, Frozen Meals, Yogurt with granola, Salads, BLT bagel, 3 Bean Salad,Grapefruits, Hot Tea, Imitation Crab Salad with crackers, Skinny Girl Popcorn, Diet Rite would be my meals if hubby was away.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I often make one protein, then fix it in different ways each night (I'm not a fan of leftovers or eating the same thing repeatedly).

Roast a chicken or pieces and shred - put them in a quesadilla one night, over salad another, reheat in barbecue sauce and eat over rice or on a sandwich. All are also good with pork chops!

Breakfast for dinner - make some eggs or an omelet, breakfast sandwich

Potatoes - bake 2 or 3, eat a baked potato topped with canned black beans, salsa, and cheese one night. Cut up the other potato and make quick home fries the next (I do this all the time - and season the home fries lots of different ways). You can also take any leftover meat, veggies, and potatoes and fry them into a hash and top with poached eggs.

Roast some veggies and eat them with a protein the first night, toss them with pasta and some feta or Parmesan the next

Have a beef or turkey burger one night, turn the rest of the ground meat into meatballs or a small pot of chili.

Make a personal pizza on a pita or English muffin. Switch up your toppings each night.

Make a salsa or dip and use it in different recipes. I like corn and black bean salsa. I'll eat it on a salad one night, in tacos with a protein the next. Alone out of the bowl. On chips. On chicken and rice.

Stir-fry is fast and easy to make in single servings.

You can also cook as you normally do, and freeze the leftovers. Then you'll have single servings next time you're alone for a few nights!