1200 cal

Options
2»

Replies

• w3nd
    w3nd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Totally with you there. I only have to sniff a donut and on goes those pounds.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    w3nd wrote: »
    Totally with you there. I only have to sniff a donut and on goes those pounds.

Yep. I'm 5'2", and fairly low weight [admittedly slipped into underweight recently]. A regular Alfredo MontAmore at Noodles & Co is pretty much at my limit for my entire day's calories to maintain. xD No sides, no drink. Small things add up.

As you get used to the lower calories though, you end up figuring out which lower cal foods you like more. I've learned a huuuuge amount of fruits I love. Unfortunately, most are now out of season. xD; So time to find some new ones again. I recommend peaches!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    For the people commenting about 1200 being aggressive... Don't forget, a lot of us short girls have extremely low TDEE's even when set to lightly active. xD I maintain around 1500.

Not necessarily. I'm 5'2 and my TDEE is 2200. I walk, averaging 15k steps/day and do circuit training 2-3 times/week.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    For the people commenting about 1200 being aggressive... Don't forget, a lot of us short girls have extremely low TDEE's even when set to lightly active. xD I maintain around 1500.

Not necessarily. I'm 5'2 and my TDEE is 2200. I walk, averaging 15k steps/day and do circuit training 2-3 times/week.

You are more than lightly active if you are working out so often. I'm only considered "lightly active" because I have a job where I stand/move around through the shift [entire 10-hour shift]. Weight also plays a factor, even if same gender and height. My height/weight/activity/etc equals about 1500 to maintain. Someone who is 145lbs, but same stats as me otherwise, is about 1800 to maintain.

It is why I said "a lot", not all. So... "Not necessarily" was unneeded, as I only pointed out that people with our stats can have low TDEE's.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You are more than lightly active if you are working out so often. I'm only considered "lightly active" because I have a job where I stand/move around through the shift [entire 10-hour shift]. Weight also plays a factor, even if same gender and height. My height/weight/activity/etc equals about 1500 to maintain. Someone who is 145lbs, but same stats as me otherwise, is about 1800 to maintain.

It is why I said "a lot", not all. So... "Not necessarily" was unneeded, as I only pointed out that people with our stats can have low TDEE's.

I think people often assume that being petite means you are destined to have to eat low calories to lose and maintain. I did at first too, which is why I went with the MFP recommendation of 1200 cals for me to lose 1 lb/week. I was miserable, and started reading the good advice on these boards that unless you are truly sedentary, you can probably eat more and still lose. I raised my cals to 1400, then 1500 net, still losing. I was less active then, I've worked to increase my step count through general activity (I have a desk job) and purposeful exercise. I lost most of my weight eating b/w1600-1900 cals and am currently maintaining at about 118. I am set at active now.

Curious if you are talking about 1500 as your TDEE or as a MFP NEAT maintenance level? It seems low for a TDEE if you are lightly active, although I do think you said you are currently underweight. Are you working to gain now, to get back up within the normal BMI range?
  • PixelPuff
    Options

I think people often assume that being petite means you are destined to have to eat low calories to lose and maintain. I did at first too, which is why I went with the MFP recommendation of 1200 cals for me to lose 1 lb/week. I was miserable, and started reading the good advice on these boards that unless you are truly sedentary, you can probably eat more and still lose. I raised my cals to 1400, then 1500 net, still losing. I was less active then, I've worked to increase my step count through general activity (I have a desk job) and purposeful exercise. I lost most of my weight eating b/w1600-1900 cals and am currently maintaining at about 118. I am set at active now.

Curious if you are talking about 1500 as your TDEE or as a MFP NEAT maintenance level? It seems low for a TDEE if you are lightly active, although I do think you said you are currently underweight. Are you working to gain now, to get back up within the normal BMI range?

I'm not going to go into my situation, as that part itself is not relevant.

Just wanted to point out that going "not necessarily" on a post that went out of its way to word that the situation doesn't apply to everyone was unneeded. Just playing with the TDEE calculators [on many sites], you can find different types of situations, even in healthy weights, where 1200 isn't really a huge deficit. My stats, weight changed to 110 [healthy], still lightly active... ~1600 to maintain. Same weight [110] at sedentary drops to under 1500 calories to maintain. If I were to crank up the activity to regularly active, it goes to around ~1800. This is only adjusting activity at that same healthy weight.

The whole point of the post was to say, hey. Short girls tend to have much lower TDEE's, 1200 isn't that big of a stretch from our eating to maintain. OP has stated she has an injury, of which will likely prevent her from your level of exercise - at most, she can safely be lightly active.

Going in to explain further, 1200 is also net, as many people eat back a portion of exercise calories.

I was 200lbs. Trust me, I've had to adjust my TDEE many times as I lost weight. I know it bounces around.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options

Just wanted to point out that going "not necessarily" on a post that went out of its way to word that the situation doesn't apply to everyone was unneeded. Just playing with the TDEE calculators [on many sites], you can find different types of situations, even in healthy weights, where 1200 isn't really a huge deficit. My stats, weight changed to 110 [healthy], still lightly active... ~1600 to maintain. Same weight [110] at sedentary drops to under 1500 calories to maintain. If I were to crank up the activity to regularly active, it goes to around ~1800. This is only adjusting activity at that same healthy weight.

The whole point of the post was to say, hey. Short girls tend to have much lower TDEE's, 1200 isn't that big of a stretch from our eating to maintain. OP has stated she has an injury, of which will likely prevent her from your level of exercise - at most, she can safely be lightly active.

Going in to explain further, 1200 is also net, as many people eat back a portion of exercise calories.

I was 200lbs. Trust me, I've had to adjust my TDEE many times as I lost weight. I know it bounces around.

The OP has a shoulder injury, and walks, jogs, and bikes, so is physically capable of raising her calories by working more steps into her day.

I have bad knees, so I am sympathetic and experienced with raising activity level despite injuries. When my activity level is low, it's by choice. For example, I'm here instead of packing for my move. Ugh.

/pushes away from computer/
  • PixelPuff
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The OP has a shoulder injury, and walks, jogs, and bikes, so is physically capable of raising her calories by working more steps into her day.

I have bad knees, so I am sympathetic and experienced with raising activity level despite injuries. When my activity level is low, it's by choice. For example, I'm here instead of packing for my move. Ugh.

/pushes away from computer/

Ah, I had read they had a likely upcoming surgery, so was accounting for that in addition to her stating that said exercise caused her pain [though she can do it]. While lightly active, it still doesn't add into the intensity the other poster was commenting they'd been doing [circuit training likely a no-go].

I've also got a surgery [albeit light] coming up early December, was told to take it easy before & after.

I also need to go out and do things, but insomnia has hit hard today. 8am, and I haven't slept. Internet just so I don't go out and fall asleep at the wheel doing errands. xD
  • w3nd
    w3nd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts they were all very interesting. Some did help. I do exercise but it can be painful. I use treadmill. But sometimes to swing my arm to run hurts. Exercise bike is fine if I don't hold the handle bars. Else the stretch causes me pain. I also try to swim every now and again. But the pain that causes is unbearable so I don't last long there. I still try to do theses exercises but also I have a 2 year old so I don't always manage to get down the gym when I want. Half the time I am to tired when she has gone to bed. My job is tiring not physically. I bleed about 50 - 60 people in a shift. So it is a lot of concentrating. But looks as if I really need to push myself to find the energy to exercise more. Problem solved
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories starting today. My diary is open to all friend. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. :)
  • mairesile
    mairesile Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Add me I'm at 1200
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I live in the uk. I need to loose 1 stone by may next year to get into my wedding dress. I find dieting very hard so I need some harsh friends to help me. I am on 1200 cal per day so would love some other who are on the same so I can view your food diaries and get some ideas on your snacks. I am a snicker rather than 3 meals a day. Thanks all you lovely people.

I read somewhere that if you eat below your BMR and for most people 1200 cal is too low, the body will actually stop losing weight and try to hold on to any fat that is left, or something like that, I don't know if I'm explaining it right, I've read that too low in calories will make it so you can't lose weight it's a weird response our bodies have when we go into starvation mode. Maybe someone else can explain this better. Obviously a Calorie Deficit will cause weight loss, but you have to eat at least your BMR calories.
  • PixelPuff
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I live in the uk. I need to loose 1 stone by may next year to get into my wedding dress. I find dieting very hard so I need some harsh friends to help me. I am on 1200 cal per day so would love some other who are on the same so I can view your food diaries and get some ideas on your snacks. I am a snicker rather than 3 meals a day. Thanks all you lovely people.

I read somewhere that if you eat below your BMR and for most people 1200 cal is too low, the body will actually stop losing weight and try to hold on to any fat that is left, or something like that, I don't know if I'm explaining it right, I've read that too low in calories will make it so you can't lose weight it's a weird response our bodies have when we go into starvation mode. Maybe someone else can explain this better. Obviously a Calorie Deficit will cause weight loss, but you have to eat at least your BMR calories.

Starvation mode in that sense is a myth. You have to starve long and hard for something like that to happen [think starving children in Africa]; anorexics would otherwise not be underweight, and that is an actual requirement of being diagnosed anorexic. Don't spread misinformation.

Also, as mentioned earlier in the topic, she is a short female who is unable to due heavy exercise [due to injury].. Her TDEE will already be extremely low, so 1200 isn't a hard shoot. I maintain around 1500 being lightly active.