Banded Squats, Good Mornings, and Hip Thrusts

Options
StealthHealth
StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
OK help me out here people.

I've recently seen a lot of posts on IG of people (usually girls - always girls in fact) doing banded squats, good mornings, and prone hip thrusts. Whilst I'm aware of the benefits of bands for repetition work (when you're actually pushing against the band) and to change the dynamics of lifts such as the dead lift but what exactly is the benefit of this --->

080akfemyv28.jpg

Is it just to stop the knees tracking out or what?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I use bands in my squats and hip thrusts from time to time for increased glute activation

ETA: I typically do this in lower weight high rep hypertrophy work, not in actual heavy sets
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Make up for bad form?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    @StealthHealth They force you to push your knees out on the conecentric portion of the movement. On squats in particular this helps to engage your glutes more. I believe Ed Coan did a video on SuperTraining.TV youtube channel with Mark Bell where he talks about imagining you are squeezing your glutes to pick up a dollar at the bottom of the movement. Can't post the link right now but it's well worth a watch
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Thanks folks.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It makes the wieght lighter at the bottom when the band is hardly engaged then heavy at the top. People do it all the time to help get them out of the whole in a squat with high wieght or get the bar off the floor with a heavy deadlift.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh crap my bad. A hip circle! Ya it forces you to push knees out to improve your form and to warm up aswell. Some people's knees shoot in under a heavy load.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    It makes the wieght lighter at the bottom when the band is hardly engaged then heavy at the top. People do it all the time to help get them out of the whole in a squat with high wieght or get the bar off the floor with a heavy deadlift.

I think you're thinking of this type of thing:

7i06jud97ra0.jpg
    7jl5y1ykswbr.jpg

I'm talking about this sort of thing:

9npfx7ayyai3.jpg

• StealthHealth
    Options
    Oh crap my bad. A hip circle! Ya it forces you to push knees out to improve your form and to warm up aswell. Some people's knees shoot in under a heavy load.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I use bands in my squats and hip thrusts from time to time for increased glute activation

ETA: I typically do this in lower weight high rep hypertrophy work, not in actual heavy sets

This. I like double banded hip thrusts for pump work. Have never done banded squats.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i've been using one recently. i was doing a ton of demanding biking and my glutes had begun to check out on the squats. someone gave me a silly-looking jane fonda band and it was like sending the nco to tip that one private out of bed and make him show up for parade with the other muscles.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I see them much more and use them myself for walking slides and bodyweight squats for a warm up and to help activate the glutes. It forces you to drive the knees out and not collapse but really should only be used with weights that are easily doable.