Half Marathon training--days per week question

Options
I have a question for those with running wisdom! This past May I signed up for a 5K, planning to walk it, but surprised myself by being able to run some of it. Although I didn't properly train for it, I have been very active hiking with the kids, and this translated to running better than I expected. Something about moving with only my body weight and no baby attached seemed so much easier!

I signed up for a second 5K, on almost the same course, it is this weekend. I decided to really train for it this time. I have tried C25K and just didn't click with the program, so I tried Zombies, Run!. I am following the advise I always read of not worrying about pace, and can run 3-3.5 miles without much trouble. My routine has been running this 2 times during the week with a "long run" on weekends (usually 5-6 miles). I have quickly figured out that I really enjoy the "long run" more than the shorter ones. I sort of settle in and chug along--even though I feel like I must be going very slow, my pace ends up being about the same as the shorter runs.

Anyway, given that the 5K is almost here and my interest in the longer distances, I started looking for some longer races in the Spring, something to work on over the winter. I found there is a local half marathon on Mothers Day.

Upon looking at training plans, it seems like most are 12 weeks, so even if I did each week twice I should have more than enough time. My concern is that it seems like committing to running 3X/week might not be enough. I am by no means a couch potato on the other 4 days of the week, usually hiking or doing something with the kids, or fitting in cross training/weights at the gym, however it just isn't feasible that I will be able to run more than 3 times a week.

Is this a sign I should just set my sights on a shorter distance for now? Or has anyone trained successfully for a half marathon having similar timing? Any recommendations?

Also, just to give the complete picture, I'm 38 and although I am 65 pounds down, I still have about 30 to lose to be at a "healthy" weight (BMI). I am working on this slow and steady, 0.5-1 lb/week, so I do plan to still be eating at a deficit while training for the half, if I do it.

Thanks!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Continue with your training as currently constituted, maybe mix in some cross training, body weight exercises, lifting, until you get to 12 weeks out and then start the training program of your choice.
    When I was training for my first Half Marathon, the training schedule got a little trying near the end and it became more of a chore to keep with it.

Runs at a conversational pace build up your aerobic base which will lead to better and more enjoyable runs. You want a training program, outside of the 12 weeks prior, to be fun, challenging but will not burn you out. Full time, all the time, training is not necessarily fun and is difficult to keep up with.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    There are plans that have you run only 3 days per week but they are a bit more advanced (speed work and other things that beginning runners should not do).

You can train 4 days a week with one day being a short recovery run, one day being a long run, and the other 2 being intermediate type runs (slow but shorter than the long run). I did this type of plan over the winter one year and it worked out fine.

Good luck.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Most of my distance training is on 4, or more, days per week. I've seen lots of people claim to only do three days, but they then go on to describe really unpleasant race experiences.

My week is two shorter runs on Tuesday and Wednesday evening, then long runs on Saturdays and Sundays. That allows some space for cross training, plus some commuting miles on my CX bike.

For me the shoorter runs are between 6 and 10 miles, with the longer being upwards of that. In your situation you'd probably put in a medium run, followed by a shorter mid week, then a long on saturday followed by a recovery on sunday. That would give you a decent balance.

As above, I'd just use the time now to build your aerobic base then at 12 weeks out start your HM plan.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Given that you do a lot of other things besides running, you'll be fine. For now keep a good solid base. You can still train 3x week once the plan kicks in, doing 2 intermediate runs and one long one. No worries.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Running a half is a good goal, but as long as you have until next spring I recommend you find a 10K or two between now and then. 5K to a half is a big jump. You might also look for a local running club. My local club does a 5K every month with a second distance of 5 mile, 10K or 15K at the same time.

The training program I use for a half is a 10 week program with three short runs during the week and a long run on Saturday.

Good luck with your running!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just did my 1st Half Marathon a few weeks ago, but I pretty much ran 4 to 5 times per week, running about 20 to 30 miles a week. I would think that if you build up a good base over the winter and keep running during the off season, you should be fine and able to finish it. I just don't know how difficult it will feel. With the running I did, I felt very well prepared and didn't feel tired at all until the last 1/2 mile. I also did 10K and 15K races leading up to my half. I think training and running the longer distance races helped me prepare for the Half. The longer races have quite a different feel than a 5K. I feel like it would boost your 1st HM experience if you have the experience doing longer races leading up to it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Personally I would get good with shorter distances first. I was already running a good distance.

I personally do not believe that 3 days a week is time enough for a very very beginner runner.. Heck its not enough for me and I have been running three years.. But if you start to work towards a 8k, 10k and even a 10 miler first you will be on your way to a HM.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I agree that you should think more about a 10k before jumping to half marathon. I went from 5k to half as a beginner, and even with training, I ended up injured (still am).

I would start by continuing your three days a week. However, what will become more important is your long runs. When you start getting up to 9-10+, depending on your speed, you're going to have to invest an hour or two, if not more. I hate to say it, even with all the hiking and cross training in the world, it's still less taxing than running 13+ miles. A lot of it is mental. So if you don't think you can put in the time, I recommend waiting for a time that you can to ensure that the race experience is enjoyable. Focus on a shorter distance that doesn't require as extensive of a training program.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running I would suggest that 3 x weekly would be the absolute minimum to train for a HM. A word you will see used a lot is specificity basically meaning if you want to build running fitness you need to run. While other activities are beneficial they don't help with the physiological adaptations that are needed to run longer distances (bone density, ligament strength, mitochondrial density etc).

If you have time to work through the training plan twice my suggestion would be to do something like the Hal Higdon Novice 1 the first time (don't worry about being fast) and the HH Novice 2 plan the 2nd time (again, don't worry about being fast) and you can probably finish your race with a smile on your face.

Have fun!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I trained for a HM on 3x a week, it's totally doable, you just need to build your miles up slowly...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Given that you do a lot of other things besides running, you'll be fine. For now keep a good solid base. You can still train 3x week once the plan kicks in, doing 2 intermediate runs and one long one. No worries.

+1

Here's a link to a novice training program Hal Higdon has on his site: halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

There's three days of running, one day of run OR cross-training. Hiking counts as cross training. Likely the other activities you refer to will substitute as well, just make sure you do something roughly work-equivalent to the run listed on the run/cross day and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That should be fine. I don't know how fast you are, but you can certainly finish a half marathon in good order with that kind of training. I would encourage you to get close to the distance before your race, which I think you'll have no trouble doing since you're already halfway there with your long runs.

You must feel amazing being down 65 lbs!
    VN
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For my first half, I ran only 3 days a week for training, and it went fine. You've got this - especially with all the other activities you're doing. :)
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half 2 weeks ago on basically the exact training plan you described. I run 4 miles 2 times per week and then took a longer weekend run finishing out my training with a longest run of 10 miles. Heres the mistakes I made that made my first race not as fun as it could have been.

I started running in May of this year and only had 5 months of training.
    I decided for some personal reasons to run the half marathon 5 weeks before the race.
    I did not taper well even though I knew I should I continued with my normal running schedule right up until race day.
    Because I was used to eating in a calorie deficit I should have eaten more prerace.
    I took off too fast and didn't pace myself correctly.
    I also learned to put baindaids over my nipples

All those mistakes aside I finished with a time better than I planned for. Yes I had to walk more of my race than expected about half a mile in total 2 100 yard walks and a needed break walking up the last long hill but I crossed that finish line with a smile on my face.
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had only ever did a couple of 5k races before (and struggled through them). I started running more in April and decided to train for a half Marathon (which is two weeks from today
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, it's not posting my full reply! Not sure what I'm doing wrong!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, it is advisable for beginners to stick with 3 days a week of running for 4 - 6 months. After that, it is good to slowly ad another running day into the schedule around the same time frame. Given that your race is not until next May, you have plenty of time to increase your running days to 4 - 5 days a week (if so desired).

If you want to just be able to finish the half marathon, (possibly having to walk some of it) you might get by with 3 days a week of running. However, if you want to better prepare your mind and body for 13.1 miles of continuous running, it is best to slowly incorporate more running days into your schedule. While it is fine that others have chimed in to say what they were able to do on 3 days of running, such anecdotal stories are not applicable to you, because you are an individual with a different physical and mental background history that may have some similarities to others. However, you still have to find what works best for your needs and goals, and not build a running plan based on what worked for someone else.

Running places a lot of physical stress on the muscles, tendons, joints and bones. These systems of the body adapt at a slower rate to running, versus the cardiovascular system. As such, it is very important that one give the body the opportunity to make the important adaptations over time, thus lessening the likelihood of injury. And one can better prepare said body systems, by slowly increasing time on the feet with more running, as well as longer long slow runs. It is the long slow runs that best prepare one to not only run farther, but also to run faster (over time) not to mention teaching one how to be more consistent in mile pacing, along with hydration methods that work best for your body and needs.

One does not have to get better at running shorter races, in order to do well in events like the half-marathon and longer. That is a misnomer.

When it comes to doing well in races, (outside of having the proper shoes for your gait and terrain needs) it comes down to having the right mental attitude, (about self) eating properly, being consistent in training, and making sure you get plenty of rest, as getting quality sleep is very important when it comes to helping to recover from increased exercise load.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've ran several halves and 10 mi races running 3x per week. It's certainly do-able to finish a half strong just running 3x per week, especially if you're doing a lot of cross training. Although, I do prefer running at least 4-5 times per week when training for something longer because I like to have an easy recovery run the day after a long run.

You'll be fine as long as you get the miles in and run consistently.
  • jenno369
    jenno369 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses! Definitely have given me a ton to think about. I think for now, I am going to keep up the three days a week and try and to very gradually increase distance. I'm scoping out 10Ks to shoot for, but with winter coming there aren't as many in my area.

I ran the 5K yesterday and had so much fun. I did it with two friends--one won her age/gender class, after she and I finished, we ran back to find the third because she had started walking. We found her and ended up running with her to cheer her across the finish line. The whole day was great!