No one in my house interested in healthy living

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Who all lives with you in your house? In general I think that you need to moderate yourself as far as eating goes but, depending on who is bringing in the food, you may be able to ask for some limitations. Practice mindful eating (Do I really want to spend calories on this or am I eating it simply because it is there? Do I actually find this food to be tasty enough that spending calories on it is worth it to me? If I eat this now, will I regret not having calories to eat X later?) If your housemate/family always buys X candy because you have asked for it in the past and not because s/he wants to eat it, just say "I'm trying to cut back so if you buy that more for me than for you, feel free not to pick up any at the store."
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has the luxury of being in total control of what food does or doesn't come into their home. Sure, it's a nice thought, but it's just not possible for everyone.
    Yes, self-control is the answer, but self-control is like a muscle. If you're not used to using it, then it'll be weak. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.

I wouldn't want that control.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not a big deal over here because I still eat the same kinds of foods that my husband and kids eat-I just eat it in the appropriate calorie amounts for my weight goals. I still eat candy, chips, cookies etc etc-just less of it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I hear you, OP. I've got 3 teenagers, and they keep food at home that I would LIKE to eat but would break my calorie bank. This is what helps me. (1) Experience has taught me that for the calories in their snack food, I would actually enjoy something else more, and I make room for THAT so I am not deprived. (2) I put my snack food in a separate cabinet and mentally tell myself to stick to my own stuff (because I like it more).

I also cook meals that fit my nutrition goals for the whole fam, and they like that. I don't cook separate meals, although they may eat more starch whereas I eat more vegetable.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For those of you whose family/housemates don't care about making a lifestyle change, how do you do it? One of the things I have read about bad foods, I.E. Candies or other sugary food, is don't bring them in the house. My house is filled with that stuff! And not by my choice. I understand will power is huge part of all of this, I'm just looking for some tips to make it easier. Also if you have succeeded at motivating your family to jump on board and make a lifestyle change how did you do it?

I think that your mindset influences how difficult it will be for you not the food in your house so much or willpower.

I am not a person who calls it a lifestyle change. I made simple changes like eating appropriate portion sizes and putting more vegetables on my plate. I don't view any food as bad or unhealthy unless it is spoiled or I am allergic to it. My family didn't have to change their eating habits because of me. I view myself as being in charge of myself. It is my choice to eat or not eat something.
    My body needs nutrients to function well. I try to meet my needs and that means using most of my calories on foods with more nutrition. I have limited calories so I'm not going to use half of them on something with little nutritional value just because it is there. I'm still eating food I like all day.
    If you look at calories like money- you usually want good value for what you spend your money on. You want to balance your spending between needs and luxuries. I don't spend money on lots of luxury items when I haven't yet paid the house payment or gas bill. Some food tastes nice briefly but has low value for the cost/calories so I don't buy/eat large amounts of it. Some foods are just not worth it at all so I don't buy them or eat them.
    I actually feel very in control of food. I plan meals for my family. I make a grocery list and make sure there are foods I can meet my goals with in the house. I cook the food for my family. Yeah, there is ice cream in the freezer and other stuff dh or dd want. That is their stuff. I have my treats too I guess.
    I prelog my food for the whole day every morning. I leave 100-300 calories for planned snacks. I look at my calorie goal, protein goal and try to eat several servings of vegetables or fruits a day. I drink water or unsweetened tea and save calories for food.
    I put food out of sight. I get out of the kitchen. I eat at the same times every day.

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have never cut anything out of my diet just cut down on the amounts of some of them. With calorie dense foods like cakes, biscuits and ice cream I just have a bite of my OHs cake or a spoonful of ice cream and stop at 1 biscuit. I'm in maintenance now and still eating the way I did when losing but with a few more daily calories.

Luckily my OH loves what I cook, which is varied and nutritious. He just has bigger portions [not too large lol], plus his high density stuff so we're both happy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's all down to my willpower. I lost the weight with junk food everywhere. The bottom line is that you have to want to lose weight more than you want the junk food.

The only tip I can give you is to make sure the stuff is out of sight.. that might help. And yes, focus on making tasty meals... I'm much less likely to go for the cookies if I had a satisfying dinner. Skinnytaste is great.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had this problem. It helped a bit when I put all the snack foods that I wanted to limit in an opaque cloth bin from IKEA on the top shelf of the pantry. It at least helped me not see the snacks every time I went into the pantry to get something. It wasn't a 100% solution... but any little bit helps, right?

I mean... I know the snacks are there when I want to indulge. But they're not staring me in the face right before I cook everyday (which is when I'm at my hungriest).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I tell them to hide them from me and if they don't I throw it away

So, you make others responsible for you not wanting to eat certain food? That doesn't seem right at all.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I think for starters stop labeling food as bad. I have been doing this for three years and I still eat candy, sugar, etc.. The moment I stopped labeling foods (any foods) as bad the world got less complicated.

Also the moment when I realized that the world around me is not always gonna be on a diet when I am I was able to put a lot of things into perspective.. In short, if my family wants pizza and I do not, I do not have to eat that.

Now dealing with your family on how to get everyone to eat this "healthy way" you are eating, is gonna take some sit down meetings with everyone and work towards where you want to go with your eating habits.

I got all mine on board, but I am the cook in the family, if they want what I cook that's great, if not what I cook they go their own ways..

Perfect.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, this is your issue not theirs. One cannot impose a way of eating on someone if they refuse to eat that way. They can't force you to eat candy anymore than you can force them not to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No one is dieting in my household but me. There is food in the house that they buy that I choose not to eat because I want to be healthier and reach my goals. I have lost 46 pounds so far all within a year. Now that my family sees me eating healthier and the weight dropping off, they want to be apart of what I'm doing too. Sometimes you have to be the leader of the pack :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    For those of you whose family/housemates don't care about making a lifestyle change, how do you do it? One of the things I have read about bad foods, I.E. Candies or other sugary food, is don't bring them in the house. My house is filled with that stuff! And not by my choice. I understand will power is huge part of all of this, I'm just looking for some tips to make it easier. Also if you have succeeded at motivating your family to jump on board and make a lifestyle change how did you do it?

I am of the opinion that if the only way you can successfully lose weight and maintain at a healthy weight is to lock yourself in a room with no candy in it then you haven't truly learned the habits that will allow you to stay at that healthy weight. At somepoint you have to desire a healthy weight more than you desire candy and have the will power to execute on that. When you crave candy make sure you remember why you are working towards being a healthier weight in the first place (assuming you are overweight). Also, as others have mentioned, i wouldn't demonize candy...that gives it more power than it deserves. Candy is just a thing, choose to leave it on the shelf and you'll be good.

There's something Buddhist along these lines...like it's easy to be spiritual or have a great meditation practice if you live in a cave but the true test is when you are living in the world and practicing. @BecomingBane help me out here?

I know it was easy for me to lose weight (without even trying) in Costa Rica when none of my high calorie trigger foods were around but I didn't feel deprived due to all the amazing fruits and satiating grains and legumes. And I was very active.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think if the other people in your home are respectful of your choices, then you can do this. You can change you. You can't change other people.

Now if they're not respectful of your choices and are trying to get you to stray from your goals and plans, that's a different conversation.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's one correct answer for all.

For me I realize I have to do more, even at my expense, to get my family on board. I keep yapping to my wife on giving our daughter good, healthy foods and for us also. No one likes walking exercise and I don't need to do more for myself but I still have to drag everyone out after I come home from work. Sometimes I'm tired but what can you do? Leaving them be unhealthy isn't an option for me.