Fat, Sugar, Protien!!

I track my Fat, Sugar and protien mainly but im finding it difficult to lower my fat and sugar intake. i usually end up over. i know there are good fats out there. Sugar is difficult bc it seems like its in everything!! same with sodium, but tracking that is a whole other ordeal! Any advice on how you lower your fat and sugar intake? Also, i need to increase my protein intake alot, my goal is to atleast get 75% of what i need daily, if not all but i need good protein thats low in fat and sugar. HELP! lol any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Unless you are diabetic, your sugar doesn't matter. I switched my sugar tracker to fiber, and don't worry about it.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Your diary isnt open to review and offer suggestions or alternatives.
    Is there a reason you track sugar say, over fiber or carbs?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Is there a medical reason for lowering fat & sugar? Plenty of people lose weight on high fat diets. Sugar is a carbohydrate; and yes a form of it is dairy, grains, fruits & even veggies.

Getting enough protein is important. Definitely work on meeting appropriate goals. How did you set your protein goal? Is it MFP's default?
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    If you'd like, you can check out my tracker. I shoot for at least 100g of protein a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Any advice on how you lower your fat and sugar intake? Also, i need to increase my protein intake alot, my goal is to atleast get 75% of what i need daily, if not all but i need good protein thats low in fat and sugar. HELP! lol any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Setting aside the question of whether you need to worry about it (if you are going with MFP's estimates and at low calories, I would definitely recommend hitting the protein), this is a good approach:

When you finish the day, look at your diary, specifically protein, carbs, fat. Are you under protein and over carbs and fat? Look at the meals/snacks, are there any where you don't get much protein? Consider adding some. Are there meals where you are really high on carbs and low on protein? Consider reducing the portion of whatever is contributing the most carbs (usually something starchy or sweet) and increasing the portion of your protein (6 oz of fish instead of 3 oz, maybe). If that leaves the meal feeling unbalanced, consider adding more low cal carbs, like vegetables. If you are getting lots of fat, consider whether it's something that can be reduced easily (high fat meat, like sausage? 2 TBSP of oil when you only need a tsp?).

With fat and sugar, also look at where it's coming from. Frankly, if you get in your protein, it doesn't matter what percentage of the remaining is fat or carbs, but it's good to get it from nutritious sources. So see if you are getting a lot of sugar (which is a carb) or fat from low nutrient sources. Some is fine, but if a lot this is a place to cut back.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Macro balance (Carbs/Protein/Fat) is more about personal choice and what leaves you feeling satisfied than it is critical to your ability to lose or gain weight. Don't sweat being "off" on your macros unless you are so far off as to not get adequate protein or the base amount of carbs and fat that will allow your diet to be healthy and sustainable. If you regularly get more fat or carbs than your current macro settings suggest perhaps its your setting that is the issue unless there is a reason that you have the macros set that way?
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    As long as you are getting sufficient protein and are eating </= your calorie goals each day, fat/carbs don't really matter too much.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited October 2016
    For your proteins, boneless skinless chicken, 94-99% lean ground turkey, egg whites are going to be low in fat. I also have regular eggs though because the fat is good. White fish is another good protein and omega 3 fatty acid. I try to keep no/low sugar and sodium nutrition. Or at least no added sugars or sodium. Portioned healthy fats like olive oils, avocado, almonds, etc. Different philosophies. What I eat is a big part of how I feel, more than just calories. You have to do do what works for your body. If you are trying to lower sugar and fat, just get in the habit of reading labels when you grocery shop. Or seeing where you can make a swap for something lower. For instance I use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce for lower sodium, etc. No sugar added marinara sauces. You don't have to completely overhaul what you are eating, but sometimes there are alternatives if you are trying to watch intake. I feel better with less sugar and sodium.
  • A quick, easy, low calorie, low sugar protein source is protein powder. You can easily get 20-30 grams of protein in a 6 oz "shake". I just use water and shake to dissolve the powder. I'm a vegetarian so I drink a post work out shake, usually a shake during the day, and 1 right before bed. I eat 4 real/whole food meals a day but use the protein powder to supplement my whole food meals. I'm in a cut phase (dropping BF while maintaining lean muscle mass and that's why I'm drinking 3 shakes a day). Getting enough protein is fundamental. Hard boiled eggs are another quick and easy protein source.

Try to eat things as close to their natural state as possible. Anything processed will have plenty of added sugar. Make sure you're eating at less than your daily calorie intake to lose weight. Losing weight is a simply math equation: calories in must be less than calories out.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I track my Fat, Sugar and protien mainly but im finding it difficult to lower my fat and sugar intake. i usually end up over. i know there are good fats out there. Sugar is difficult bc it seems like its in everything!! same with sodium, but tracking that is a whole other ordeal! Any advice on how you lower your fat and sugar intake? Also, i need to increase my protein intake alot, my goal is to atleast get 75% of what i need daily, if not all but i need good protein thats low in fat and sugar. HELP! lol any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Eat less processed food...eat more whole foods...
  • MandiMarie913
    MandiMarie913 Posts: 26 Member
    My macros I set to 50% carbs, 20% fat, 30%, Itsr default setting for 1450 calories but I switched the protein and fat percentages, is that OK?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't sweat the details - but it can be difficult to know what the details are, everything can seem important when you're starting out! So - the important thing is: you have to stick to your calories to lose weight. A properly balanced diet will be easy to adhere to. MFP's default is appropriate for most people. Forget about sugar (it's a carb and in most food), "good fats" (the only fat you should avoid, is trans fat, and that's mostly found in foods you should limit intake of anyway), sodium (unless you have high blood pressure and your doctor has told you to monitor/limit intake).

This should free up capacity to focus on getting the job done - track correctly (weigh and double check nutritional values, log everything, hit your calorie goal, eat back no more than 50% of your exercise calories), pick foods you like that doesn't trigger overeating. Then get moving, get enough sleep and rest, have fun, enjoy life.
  • Nupzyo1
    Nupzyo1 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. Can I ask why you've set your carbs to 50% daily intake?
  • MandiMarie913
    I didn't, mfr automatically did
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016

MFP is a calculator not a person. It didn't "give" you anything, it calculated values based on what information you entered (or did not enter). It isn't a person that is advising you don't treat it as such and assume it is some expert you should follow. It's only as knowledgeable as the person entering values into it.

There is no particular reason you need to eat 50% carbs....if that is uncomfortable for you then don't do it.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

MFP is a calculator not a person. It didn't "give" you anything, it calculated values based on what information you entered (or did not enter). It isn't a person that is advising you don't treat it as such and assume it is some expert you should follow. It's only as knowledgeable as the person entering values into it.

There is no particular reason you need to eat 50% carbs....if that is uncomfortable for you then don't do it.

50% carbs is the default amount given to everyone unless they adjust their macro ratio so, yeah, MFP gives 50% carbs.
  • MandiMarie913
    I realize that. I'm not an expert at dieting, I just discovered I could change those percentages. Clearly its an app, not a person, never treated it like some expert. Never said 50% carbs was uncomfortable, someone asked a question, so i gave an answer. I didn't make a bunch of assumptions. I entered all values that it asked, 4days ago, and am still learning new things through the community portion which are actual people. Thx.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    seska422 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

50% carbs is the default amount given to everyone unless they adjust their macro ratio so, yeah, MFP gives 50% carbs.

Yes, hence the (or what you did not enter) part of my comment. Microsoft Word defaults to Times New Roman 11pt, that doesn't mean anything it just has to default to something...it didnt "give" you times new roman, shouldn't be taken as advice.

Although yeah if you change your macros to the equivalent of comic sans that's on you too.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    I realize that. I'm not an expert at dieting, I just discovered I could change those percentages. Clearly its an app, not a person, never treated it like some expert. Never said 50% carbs was uncomfortable, someone asked a question, so i gave an answer. I didn't make a bunch of assumptions. I entered all values that it asked, 4days ago, and am still learning new things through the community portion which are actual people. Thx.

You mentioned struggling with the fat percentage and they are all tied together. If your carbs are high chances are your fat is low. I'm just saying don't view macro percentages as something you need to hit a specific number on, just eat where you are more comfortable...if that is having more of your calories from fat that's absolutely fine...it's a struggle you are having that you don't need to have is all I mean.

I meant it in a positive way sorry if in text without intonation it came across as negative.

The only trick is it'd a good idea to make sure you get sufficient protein. 0.6g per pound of bodyweight or 0.8 to 1g per pound lean mass is a decent guideline.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    For your carbs dont' eat as much fruit, fruit has lots of sugar. Stick with whole grains like oatmeal, whole wheat bread, etc...that way you get carbs, but not sugar. For protein? Simply use protein powder. I've talked to a lot of Women who are afraid to drink protein shakes because they think it will make them bigger, in reality that's not true, only extra calories make you bigger, nothing else. If you need the added protein and can't get it enough from food like meats, then drink a protein shake. I use a protein powder that's 30 g of Protein for ONE scoop. Don't worry about fats being high as long as it's healthy fats mostly. Try to eat more whole foods and less processed or packaged food items I know it's hard especially depending on the type of job you have and things like that. I enter in all my foods I plan on eating in the beginning of the day so I can adjust accordingly. I eat eggs, Peanut butter, milk, oat meal, high fiber bread slices, Smart balance butter, protein powder, and other foods but those are my main foods that I eat almost on a daily basis.