Does your job contribute to your weight gain?

Options
13»

Replies

• astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I travel 85 % of the time for work so I eat out alot. I've put on 5 pounds in the past two years but I also sit more at this job than the previous one so I really have to exercise.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    @KristenJackie you might appreciate this post since you've been trying to figure out how to manage work.
  • TrailRunn3r82
    TrailRunn3r82 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Quite the opposite. I walk a lot at my job. A fellow co-worker logged 13 miles on their FitBit with GPS while working a typical 10 hour shift. Not every position at our company requires this much walking but I would guess quite a few require 5+ miles of walking per day.
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Many of you have inspired me on here...I will be packing my trainers so when I get any cancellations at work I can go for walks (my work shoes are not practical) I used to sit around in the car with a coffee (and cake) waiting for my next appointment!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Nads36 wrote: »
    Many of you have inspired me on here...I will be packing my trainers so when I get any cancellations at work I can go for walks (my work shoes are not practical) I used to sit around in the car with a coffee (and cake) waiting for my next appointment!

Good idea!

For a while there, I was going out at lunch, parking myself in a local park and reading a book. Nice ... but doesn't burn a lot of calories. Plus if I've been sitting all day at work, more sitting is the last thing I needed. Now I walk. :)
  • jhdz95614
    jhdz95614 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mine does, I work at the local 7eleven. It makes it hard for me to stick to my life style change, with so much junk food and soda
  • Cheerios0392
    Cheerios0392 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I first started I noticed my weight starting to creep up so I nipped it in the bud within the first three months of working there. Pack my lunch the night before, and sometimes dinner as well if I'm working later than 5pm. Bring healthy snacks and a water bottle I refill throughout the day. A coffee thermos to fill with tea, coffee or fruity tea. Could even go for low calorie hot chocolate if I really wanted. And I go for walks during my breaks. I manage to get up to 10,000 steps every day since I catch public transport as well and have to walk from the station.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Potentially my job could contribute to weight gain, but ultimately I feel it is and always has been about my choices.

My options:
    Take the car to work. Stay behind my desk and only communicate by email. Take the elevator to the company restaurant or meeting rooms three floors down. Eat the really nice meals they serve as well as a meal at home. Say yes to all the nice stuff that people bring in and birthday celebrations. Drink the lovely hot chocolate we have in our machines
    My choice:
    I walk to work (granted I can, but it is an hour back and forth walking). When I need to talk to somebody U go over there and talk to them face to face whenever this is possible. I take the stairs to the meeting rooms and restaurant. Bring most of my lunch - I only buy the soup usually. I bring my own snacks and day no to just about all cake, chocolate and other caloriebombs Most of them I would only out of politeness anyway because I really did not like the stuff and I have tea instead of the hot chocolate.

So I feel my job does make it a little harder, but I feel I need to make the adjustment to fit my food pattern within my budget. My job is not the reason I gained weight, I am the reason I gained weight
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It did, but for opposite reasons than others. I work retail in a large supercenter. Very active throughout the day, and I'm regularly at 10,000+ steps after a shift. My problem was the calorie dense foods available that I gravitated towards.