Eating back exercise calories?

Options
I hit my weight loss goal of 140 lbs (13.2 lb loss) back in mid-September by eating a net 1,580 calories. I ate back my exercise calories every day. Once I hit my goal, I was afraid to increase my calories too much, too quickly, so I would increase by 100 calories every 10-or so days. I'm currently at 1,980 calories and for the last three weeks, have been fluctuating in weight between 138-141.

I'd be very, very surprised if 1,980 was my maintenance number. I have a desk job, yes, but I teach yoga on the side, and am very active outside of work. My fitbit says that I burn, on average, about 2,300 calories per day, which is in alignment with several TDEE assessments I've done over the last few weeks.

My question is - now that I'm in maintenance, should I be eating my TDEE and not eating back exercise calories? Or, should I continue to stay at 1,980 calories and eat back exercise calories.

Wondering if any of you who have successfully been maintaining have any experience/advice to share.

Thanks!
-Kzooyogi

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kzooyogi wrote: »
    I hit my weight loss goal of 140 lbs (13.2 lb loss) back in mid-September by eating a net 1,580 calories. I ate back my exercise calories every day. Once I hit my goal, I was afraid to increase my calories too much, too quickly, so I would increase by 100 calories every 10-or so days. I'm currently at 1,980 calories and for the last three weeks, have been fluctuating in weight between 138-141.

I'd be very, very surprised if 1,980 was my maintenance number. I have a desk job, yes, but I teach yoga on the side, and am very active outside of work. My fitbit says that I burn, on average, about 2,300 calories per day, which is in alignment with several TDEE assessments I've done over the last few weeks.

My question is - now that I'm in maintenance, should I be eating my TDEE and not eating back exercise calories? Or, should I continue to stay at 1,980 calories and eat back exercise calories.

Wondering if any of you who have successfully been maintaining have any experience/advice to share.

Thanks!
    -Kzooyogi

It should pretty much be six of one...I think MFP's methodology can be beneficial for people who aren't necessarily consistent with their fitness...most people I know who exercise on the regular go by TDEE.

The only difference is where you're accounting for exercise in the equation.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    Just pick whichever way works best for you. My maintenance on mfp is 1550 and I eat back my fitbit adjustment. I usually eat 1900-2000 calories per day (which is about what my fitbit says I burn). If I use a TDEE calculator it usually comes up around 1950. I do have a sedentary job and I am used to using the mfp goal and eating back calories so that is what I plan to continue doing. Like cwolfman says, the difference is when you account for exercise. At the end of the day both methods should get you roughly the same number of calories.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't excersize every day, so I set my activity at sedentary and eat back excersize calories on days I do get excersize. I don't count yoga.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The trend on your bathroom scale is the best indicator if what you are doing is working. If your weight is stable with what you are currently doing then stick with that. If you see yourself gaining or losing, then adjust calories appropriately.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Kzooyogi, By teaching (and doing) the yoga class you have probably increased your muscle mass. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat so it requires more calories. I'm in my 60s and was only trying to lose about seven or eight lbs (ended up losing 11); did this on about 1200 or so cals a day (I'm 5' 3") last year. Now I have to eat around 1500 or so cals just to maintain, otherwise I keep losing weight. I workout three days a week and lift as heavy as I can while maintaining good form (and not injuring myself) which has increased my muscle mass somewhat (harder to do the older you get). I don't use my TDEE, nor do I usually eat back my cals (do sometimes). Your weight is going to fluctuate over time slightly (water retention, etc.), so I would pretty much stay where you are at and just track it and increase/decrease your cals only if you really need to. B)