Someone cuts in front of you in line... do you say something?

Options
13»

Replies

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Depends on if my kids are with me.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Or let it slide?

I was returning a basketball at Walmart last night (ordered the wrong size... it was a women's ball) and while I was standing in line in the customer service dept some guy stands right beside me. I was the last person in this uniform line, there was only 4 of us including the person being helped at the counter, so I was just like 'what the heck man... doesn't he see this simple *kitten* line".

My heart starts racing.... I really don't want to be at Walmart returning a women's college basketball and now I gotta deal with this. Definitely one of those moments you look up at the ceiling and ask "why?". The man is like 60-70 years old and I don't know if I should tell him where the line is or just let it slide due to his seniority. If he was in 'Nam he can cut in front of me but give me a smile or something first, cutie.

So then the line moves up and he overtakes me, and I said forget it. I can't win. After he finished his transaction I stared him down as he was walked away but he didn't make eye contact with me. Dude pwned me hard. :unamused:

How do you handle line cutters?

It depends. Today some people are crazy and could hurt you.

I would size up the person and tell them excuse me, the line starts back there. If they were very elderly, or disabled, I would give them a break. 60-70 is not that old -- the guy was just rude.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Depends on whether I am in a hurry. At my age, I don't rush. If you are cutting the line (or for that matter running a red light), you must be in a hurry. The least I can do is stay out of your way.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In all my shopping at Walmart, I haven't had the occasion to find how I would respond.
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I usually mutter, or start inching forward all the while looking at them. If they manage to actually get in front of me I usually just say, really loudly, "wow!!! Some people!" But I can be a complete b*tch without giving it a thought. LOL
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This never happens in whole foods or neiman marcus :p

I've been in both. Alone. Lonely.
  • Tr4pQueen
    Tr4pQueen Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Depends on what their butt looks like..lol actually if you want ahead of me that bad, go for it. Doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of my life.
    Now if you cut in front of me in traffic I'll slam my car right into yours and pull you out and punch you in the face and threaten to kidnap your kids in the backseat. Why is that?
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Depends on the mood I am in and if I think it was intentional.
    I will always confront them if I think they are deliberately being rude or if I am in a hurry.

Most people get away with it because they are betting you don't want a confrontation.
    Notice how they don't dare cut in front of big, intimidating guys?
    If enough people get in their faces they might start considering the possible consequences.

I do not mind confrontation at all. I teach classes on how to deal with it.
    The real question is: "What are you willing to do if they start getting belligerent?"
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Tr4pQueen wrote: »
    Now if you cut in front of me in traffic I'll slam my car right into yours and pull you out and punch you in the face and threaten to kidnap your kids in the backseat. Why is that?
    Mostly because you think you are empowered with a 1,500 pound car backing you up.
    That is the same reason why they think they can cut you off in the first place.
    No consequences since the car "protects" the driver.

Same rationale with "keyboard warriors" who will type things online that they would never have the cojones to say to your face.
    They are "protected" from consequences and feel "safe" so they express stuff they would be afraid to say otherwise.

Now have you every actually gotten out of the car when someone cut you off, or just wanted to?
    That answer says a lot about your personality, social adjustment and impulse control.

This is all part of the same class that I mention above, actually.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Do people really get jumped in line that much?
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Not as frequently these days, unless you look like a sheep to one of the wolves.

Almost everyone in our society has been emasculated to the point that the only defense they have is to threaten to sue someone.
    This goes for the would-be wolves as well as the potential sheep.
    This applies to most concealed-carry permit holders also, whose only "defense" is to shoot someone when they are scared because they are not trained in weapon retention or management of aggressive behavior.

It is when the would-be-wolves end up with a group of other wolf pups that problems often start.
    Wolf-pack mentality eggs them on and they get more and more bold in an attempt to demonstrate belonging and dominance within the pack.

Body language does a lot.

1. Learn to carry yourself as a sheepdog instead of a sheep.
    2. Don't be afraid to speak up and make eye contact if you feel threatened.
    3. Train so you are able to back it up if things go south.
    4. Never utter a phrase like "I cannot believe it happened to me" or "But this is such a nice neighborhood"

If you do not want to do these things (especially #3) then just accept that you are a potential sheep for the wolves.
    There is no harm in that; it is why sheepdogs exist.
    But in return, start showing proper respect and appreciation to the sheepdogs who do that work for you: law enforcement, military, first responders, etc.

* This is general advice and you are not training in one of my programs so I am not liable for your choices and your mileage may vary.

http://www.cqbkajukenbo.com/on-sheep-wolves-and-sheepdogs-from-the-book-on-combat-by-lt-col-dave-grossman-u-s-army-ret/
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Not as frequently these days, unless you look like a sheep to one of the wolves.

Almost everyone in our society has been emasculated to the point that the only defense they have is to threaten to sue someone.
    This goes for concealed-carry permit holders also, whose only "defense" is to shoot someone when they are scared because they are not trained in weapon retention or management of aggressive behavior.

It is when the would-be-wolves end up with groups of wolf pups that problems often start.
    Wolf-pack mentality eggs them on and they get more and more bold in an attempt to demonstrate belonging and dominance within the pack.

1. Carry yourself as a sheepdog instead of a sheep.
    2. Don't be afraid to speak up and make eye contact if you think it is necessary.

If you do not want to do these things then just accept that you are a potential sheep for the wolves.
    But in return, start showing proper respect and appreciation to the sheepdogs: law enforcement, military, first responders, etc.

* This is general advice and you are not training in one of my programs so I am not liable for your choices and your mileage may vary.

http://www.cqbkajukenbo.com/on-sheep-wolves-and-sheepdogs-from-the-book-on-combat-by-lt-col-dave-grossman-u-s-army-ret/

tkn49x3oq941.jpg

• cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I like the Larsen image.

Just remember, looking like a wolf will get you unwanted attention from the sheepdogs. ;)
    They are trained to watch out for wolves, after all.
    That includes wolves who are hiding among the sheep.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's annoying, but honestly, it's a very small thing. Let it go, man.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

This applies to most concealed-carry permit holders also, whose only "defense" is to shoot someone when they are scared because they are not trained in weapon retention or management of aggressive behavior.

It is when the would-be-wolves end up with a group of other wolf pups that problems often start.

1. Learn to carry yourself as a sheepdog instead of a sheep.
    2. Don't be afraid to speak up and make eye contact if you feel threatened.
    4. Never utter a phrase like "I cannot believe it happened to me" or "But this is such a nice neighborhood"

If you do not want to do these things (especially #3) then just accept that you are a potential sheep for the wolves.
    But in return, start showing proper respect and appreciation to the sheepdogs who do that work for you: law enforcement, military, first responders, etc.

You sound exactly like my ex boyfriend.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    You sound exactly like my ex boyfriend.
    Ex, huh? Sorry to hear things didn't work out.

• cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    That's a very light car like a smart car
    Fair enough. I guess a Smart car wouldn't be fast enough to cut you off anyway.
    I was thinking "2,500" and typed 1,500. I suppose 2,500 is also light now that many people drive SUVs.
    However, I am confident that you understand my point.

"The E.P.A.'s weight statistics show that the average weight of a 2003 car or light-duty truck, like a pickup, sport utility, van or minivan, was heavier than in any model year since 1976, when the average peaked at 4,079 pounds."

That may be a reason for the higher incidents of "road rage" in the last decade or so.
    I might have my guys look into that.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Clearly they have never met me if they cut in front of me in line. I will say, older people do typically get a pass because they may be confused or they have earned it. Doesn't matter to me. If some person under the age of 60 rolls up on me in line then we have a problem and I have no problem telling them. Their time is not more important then mine and everyone's behind me. No.

giphy.gif

• THS2SHALLPASS
    THS2SHALLPASS Posts: 1,569 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I let them know where the back of the line is and to get there! if they act stupid I get stupid on them!! especially if its a food line! ohhh hell no! lol