When did your tastebuds start to change?

Options
I'm on my third week and although I've managed to stay away from added sugar and fast food, I'm still craving it like crazy! I'm so looking forward to the day when I can drive right by McDonalds and honestly think it's gross. I've heard people say 3 weeks time, but is that realistic?

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I don't think junk foods are gross. I still love to indulge in Taco Bell at times.
    I definitely stopped craving junk foods after a few weeks on plan though.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the time it takes but for me, I won't even realize how much I don't like it until I've had it again. All of a sudden (not so sudden bc I haven't been eating it for say, a month) and it's too salty/sugary/leaves me feeling like crap and it's just blatantly apparent that the food I used to love isn't even that great nor worth it. Some things will always be delicious though. No amount of time makes me not want a brownie.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Well, my tastebuds adapt to what I eat, and when I eat a variety of foods, they crave variety. I haven't "lost" my taste for anything, and nothing is "gross" to me, but I think about what I want, and I don't usually want foods I have trouble moderating. The intense cravings for junk food/cookies etc are nearly gone now. I started changing my diet in September 2013, and it's been an ongoing process.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    After about 16 weeks, I got so that I didn't particularly care for really salty and really sweet food. So I find that a bag of potato chips is a bit too salty for me. I will still eat some chips, but not the whole bag. And I prefer less sweet donuts.

Since I started with MFP, I decided to eat only foods I liked, so I became quite particular about what I eat. And since then, things like soggy tasteless fast food hamburgers don't rate very highly in comparison with something better like a good burrito or spicy curry dish.

In the world of chocolate, I used to eat really inexpensive chocolate-like stuff. Run of the mill chocolate bars. And I'd eat one a day. Now I have chocolate maybe once every couple months and it will be good chocolate ... something I will linger over and savour.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    About 2 weeks for most things. The cravings are still there for some things. And then I bite into them and it's soooo disappointing.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    They don't. That's just your brain.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I decided I would eat foods with more nutrition, which eliminated most fast foods. I wasn't craving it because I felt satisfied with everything I was eating. I can say, I was out for a run 2 1/2 years after I initially started my journey to better health and ran past a Mc Donald's. The smell of those greasy fries nearly turned my stomach. Literally. I couldn't believe I use to eat them.

As you eat healthier foods, you'll probably want more of that.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Actually they do change. They definitely change as you age.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Actually they do change. They definitely change as you age.

When I was little, I hated eggs. Yep, definitely, as you age.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My tastebuds didn't change. I loved the kinds of "healthy" foods I eat now (vegetables, well-prepared meats, legumes, fruit, whatever) before, and still do. I also loved a really good baked good, ice cream, well-prepared french fries, a good pizza or burger before, and still do. I never got the idea that eating sweets made you unable to appreciate vegetables or fruit or that enjoying an occasional high fat item (say, Chicago style pizza) makes you unable to enjoy other sorts of meals.

That said, my taste buds have changed over the course of my life, of course, entirely unrelated to weight loss. As a kid I hated spicy food and now I love and crave it. I hated lamb, and now it's one of my favorite meats. Hated rhubarb, now I love it. I like my meat rarer than I did. I hated coffee and now I adore it. Stuff like that.

I also find that what I eat most frequently is what my mind tends to go to when I'm hungry, so what I crave.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Not change, exactly. But when I stopped eating junk food out I really craved it for a couple weeks. Then semi wanted it for the next couple. Now I can take it or leave it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My taste buds haven't changed. The only reason I avoid fast food is that it doesn't fill me up at all for the calories, and I can make something tasty and filling at home for the same calories.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I still like all the bad foods I ever did but I developed tastes for things like black coffee, veggies I'd never have eaten, and things of that nature. Regular soda is ungodly sweet to me now. Dairy Queen blizzards in any other size but small make me sick.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still like all the bad foods I ever did but I developed tastes for things like black coffee, veggies I'd never have eaten, and things of that nature. Regular soda is ungodly sweet to me now. Dairy Queen blizzards in any other size but small make me sick.

Oh yeah, good point... sweetened drinks. I just can't do it anymore. Just way too sweet for me. Not a problem with desserts though (but I'll modify my rice pudding recipe for less sugar next time).
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I still crave it.. But I crave fruits more. Chomping down on some delicious melon, plump strawberries, ripe pineapple... Nothing beats it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    50lbs lost and several years into maintenance, and I still eat fast food several times a week. I needed to do this whole thing in a way that was realistic and sustainable, and learning how to fit in the foods I liked was a big part of that :)
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    It's mainly the salt content I have to adapt to. If I cook at home for a week and keep my daily sodium around 3,000mg, I find it rather bland. But if I get over that week or two hump I am good to go. Ideally, I'd rather eat at home.

I would say if you're fighting the McDonalds demons then try making your own burgers at home. Win/win.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    My taste buds have never changed. I still like McDonalds, Del Taco, Der Weinerschnitzel, Carl's Jr., pizza, Mexican food, potato chips, donuts, chocolate and all the other things I've eaten all my life. I just eat them less frequently and in smaller quantities.

I hope I never see the day that I can drive by McDonalds and think it's gross. I don't consider foods as "good" or "bad", I look at the overall context of the diet as a whole.

This. Except Carls Jr (Hardees here) has always been gross. I eat fast food for dinner once a week and maybe 1-2 other times a month.