Sounds ridiculous but...body lotion causes weight gain? what.

Options
Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I know it's such a ridiculous topic, but honestly, I saw a couple articles saying that body lotion has chemicals that can actually cause weight gain. I really don't want to believe it, and I completely hope it's FALSE, because I'm a regular user of body lotion and I don't want that to sabotage my weight loss progress! What do you think? Are these articles to be believed? Some of them even stated that 'plastic water bottles' cause weight gain because of BPA. Sounds ridiculous too, but who knows. What's your take on it?

Not sure if links are allowed here, if not, please let me know and I will remove it immediately. But, here is an example of a site that says it. http://bodyunburdened.com/is-your-body-lotion-making-you-fat/

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Garbage from a garbage site.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    all i can guess is they mean products with parabens which elevate estrogen and cause weight gain... even in men. So.. lots of people are against them..also i think some say they cause cancer. Lots of arguments against the claim.. some for it... parabens are in a majority of cosmetics and creams.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    So, should we start sending lotion with food relief shipments to areas of starvation? Maybe send them all some BPA bottles to drink water out of so they can fatten up.

Well clearly they're already getting enough to eat, if they weren't, their bodies would be in starvation mode and they'd hold on to all their fat.

Must be why they have such large bellies. Rather than you know, something crazy like losing so much muscle that their abdominal wall no longer holds their organs within their body cavity plus severe edema from inflammation that results.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Off topic

Serious question- why do those malnourished children in famines have stick thin limbs and protruding rib bones but bulging tummies?

I realise it isn't fat and it isn't any silly starvation mode theories and I vaguely remember it is something to do with lack of protein causing capillary fluid leakage ( I think??) but can someone explain it - in layman's terms please.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Off topic

Serious question- why do those malnourished children in famines have stick thin limbs and protruding rib bones but bulging tummies?

I realise it isn't fat and it isn't any silly starvation mode theories and I vaguely remember it is something to do with lack of protein causing capillary fluid leakage ( I think??) but can someone explain it - in layman's terms please.

Its a mix of things. Weakened muscles in the abdominal wall allow the intestines/organs to basically spill forward from the body cavity causing some of the protrusion and the rest is caused by edema (fluid collection) from inflammation and swelling of the organs. Its called kwashiorkor which occurs only during the most extreme malnutrition. Most of the large belly is from the inflammation.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Off topic

@Aaron_K123 just explained it upthread.
    So, should we start sending lotion with food relief shipments to areas of starvation? Maybe send them all some BPA bottles to drink water out of so they can fatten up.

Well clearly they're already getting enough to eat, if they weren't, their bodies would be in starvation mode and they'd hold on to all their fat.

Must be why they have such large bellies. Rather than you know, something crazy like losing so much muscle that their abdominal wall no longer holds their organs within their body cavity plus severe edema from inflammation that results.

• paperpudding
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron, you edited while I was posting.

So, lack of protein causes depleted muscles ( with you so far) and then fluid leaks through the weakened abdominal wall into the peritoneal cavity?
    And they get abdominal oedema?

And this affects children more as their abdominal wall is less developed than adults?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    all i can guess is they mean products with parabens which elevate estrogen and cause weight gain... even in men. So.. lots of people are against them..also i think some say they cause cancer. Lots of arguments against the claim.. some for it... parabens are in a majority of cosmetics and creams.

This.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron, you edited while I was posting.

So, lack of protein causes depleted muscles ( with you so far) and then fluid leaks through the abdominal wall into the peritoneal cavity?
    And they get abdominal oedema?

And this affects children more as their abdominal wall is less developed than adults?

Honestly I'd recommend just looking up the term kwashiorkor, basically all I'm going to do is copy paste the wiki page otherwise its not like I'm an expert in that or anything I just have heard that that is the causative condition. I believe its due to extreme protein depletion and inflammation that results. If you dare you can also look at an image search with that term but it can get rather graphic, the swelling can be very extreme...way beyond just a pooched out belly.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The reason I brought it up is, and I hate to say I am not kidding, I did have a conversation in a thread with someone on MFP who was providing starving children with protruding bellies as evidence that "starvation mode" was a thing because they were "fat". I suppose its possible that they were expertly trolling me but I think they were being genuine in their belief. Just disturbing.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Yes I remember something about extreme protein deficiency being behind it.

Anyway, was just an aside.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Will get back on topic and focus on body lotion and BPA in drink bottles causing weight gain now - Or not, lol.