Ye Olde Plantar Fasciitis

Options
I have dealt with PF issues off & on for ages. I have been a runner for a few years, and after pretty much taking last year for my own personal issues, I started training again earlier this year for another duathalon. In July, (7th, to be exact) I had a PF flare on my right foot, stopped running, felt better after a few days, ran 1X, flared again, still hurt a little while later, went back to podiatrist, & began 4 months of treatments (2 medications, steroid packs, night splints, walking boots, ice, brace, cortisone shots...) finally this week, he hit me with the news: since it hasn't gotten any better, I'm a candidate for surgery.

The surgery is Endoscopic Plantar Fascial Release. I've looked it up, watched videos, read about it, asked him a few questions @ the office....I know it will be less intensive then the ortho surgery I had on my left foot in Feb, quicker healing time, and it will get me back to running. As it stands now, I ain't running anytime soon. Frustrating not being able to do so with all the 5K's I want to do happening now!

My question it has anyone out there in MFP-land had this surgery or know someone who has? Was it worth it? Would you/they recommend it?

Replies

• erwende
    erwende Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have not had the surgery. Sounds like you've tried everything except for EPAT. it's ultrasound waves against the scar tissue. Please Google and try it before cutting your foot open. Life-changing for me!
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I had to have my foot in a cast for 4 weeks to get my plantar fasciitis under control, mostly because I was not staying off my foot enough to rest it. I do regular massage therapy to keep everything under control and that helps for me.