Working out with friends - yes / no?

Options
Hey all,

This isn't a general advice question, I'm just wondering if it's just me.

I used to go to a gym on my own for a while and then stopped. Because I suck at kicking myself in the butt and dragging me there even when I don't wanna. Gotta be honest here, right?

So anyway. Now two of my friends joined that gym and after thinking about it for a while, I reactivated my membership. The idea was to motivate each other. And so far, in terms of going "Hey, how's your workout plan working for you?" or "Did you do your 3 days at the gym this week?" it's great and I've actually managed to stick to my plan, no excuses.

This week we finally managed to go together and I find that that actually slows me down rather than helping me. Sure, as a super self-conscious female, it's nice to have a friend around when changing in the locker room, not having to ask strangers for help with stuff, etc. But exercising, especially cardio, is so much easier for me when it's just me and my playlist.

Does anyone else feel like this or are you big fans of the gym buddy deal? Do you have regular gym dates with someone? Do you maybe know the people at your gym by now and just team up with whoever's there that day? I'm just curious.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am not a gym buddy kind of person. I don't mind other people around if I can do my own thing and they do theirs, but I feel slowed down or out of focus if I have to do much interacting. I mostly workout at home but when I do go to the gym, I say hi to the person who swipes me in and then pretty much do not talk the entire time I am there. I mean, if somebody says hi or asks the time or something like that I respond but I am not a chatty person. I would say that it is because gym time is me time but the truth is I am not really social like that in general.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym alone, I prefer it. When I run outside I like to do that alone as well. It is my me time away from my kids, I cherish it. Lol
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If whoever I'm training with is just as much of a bad *kitten* as myself then I don't mind it. It's actually handy sometimes because you don't have to change the weights after each set and also you can train to failure on the big lifts. I enjoy some me time too. I like zoning out and just walking around hitting the weights in my own world with no one to exchange pleasantries with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lifting I prefer to be on my own because I can get in and do my thing and get out...having a lifting partner is just a distraction for me and everything takes longer because we're moving plates around and taking turns, etc

Cycling I often train alone, but I also like doing group rides with other cyclists
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Definitely alone.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    solo. in/out. headphones on. All business. I will smile occasionally if I accidentally make eye contact, I'm not a complete b!tch.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to workout with a buddy when I was in grad school, but I ended up working out less when he wasn't there (basically I used the excuse of his absence to skip). I now workout alone in my basement, other than when my kids are down there with me, and I find a get a better workout and am far more consistent by myself.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout by myself with my music. I've never liked working out with people because it slows me down with all the talking and taking turns. Plus this is my (me) time to meditate, relax and enjoy my workout.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ashcky wrote: »
    I go to the gym alone, I prefer it. When I run outside I like to do that alone as well. It is my me time away from my kids, I cherish it. Lol

^^^^ This I totally agree! Me time away from everything but my own thoughts and playlist!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on who it was and whether or not you guys have similar goals. I sometimes go with my boyfriend and yes, switching out plates and stuff can get annoying, but we are both lifting so it works because then I have a spotter. But if he wanted to sit on the mats and just chat while doing 'ab work' then maybe not.

I have gone a few times in the past with friends who used it as social hour without doing any real exercising and that was annoying.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    my routine has two formats to it. one is me at the rec centre in a lovely introvert daze, where i do my lifts and think my thoughts and interact only if i feel like it.

the other is me at my barbell club once a week. i love that club. everyone does their own programme, and mr t shifts things around to give everybody a station or a little space of their own to work in. it's pretty fun when the schedules sync up and you get all four of us deadlifting in formation like some silly synchronized-swimming display.

it costs about the same as getting together with friends once a week for a (cheap) burger and beer, so i'm not sure what that says about me and my social proclivities :tongue:

i'll say something about the solo lifting though: although i do the lifting alone i belong to a subgroup here on mfp where i can always check in and report my workout, and that's a lot like having a 'buddy' in the positive sense that the op mentioned. i think i'd be sadder and maybe not as consistent if i didn't have a little population of people who know i lift, who lift too, and who are interested whenever i want to yak about it.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm a loner. Just me and my music. Group classes having a friend to go with is ok.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I always train with my husband. However, it's not really like working out with a friend. We both compete and I structure all of our templates and cycles. We've been doing it for over 7 years so it's a normal thing for us. It's really just what you're used to.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly solo but it's fun when teammates are in training at the same time.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like to fly solo. I hate people talking to me when I'm working out. I will smile and wave if I cross paths with someone I know, but like to keep the music cranked and keep moving.
  • thehexenbiest
    thehexenbiest Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. It makes me feel better to know others feel the same way and I'm not just antisocial. :wink:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with being anti-social. so long as you're nice about it ;)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym with my husband, but we do our complete separate workouts while there. It is nice to grab him for a spot if I need one.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. In my 20s I always had a workout partner. Eventually they would quit and I wouldn't be too far behind. Then I'd find a new partner, wash, rinse and repeat. I think it's OK to have a partner as a long as you still take charge of your own workout and don't rely on the other person to keep you motivated.

I'm in my longest stretch of exercise without quitting, going on 4 years now. Coincidentally I haven't worked with anyone else during that time.
  • ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I recently started working out with a partner after a long time time alone. I noticed we stay a lot longer on cardio because we challenge each other and it's fun. The only downside is she's extremely chatty even while doing weights. I'm sonout of breath I can't talk and lift lol. But I still go if she doesn't want to, because it's still about my goals to me regardless.