I'm Starving!!!

Options

Replies

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

[/quote]Ah. I should probably just drop it, not trying to rile anyone. I don't have to understand, but I do need to respect others so I feel no need to press. Apologies if I offended.[/quote]

I live in a safe suburban neighborhood, however, there is a main two lane highway just a few blocks from my house that does get quite a bit of foot traffic. I realize that my chances of being mugged at 5:30 a.m. are quite slim, but believe me when i tell you I am in no shape to out run even my youngest child...lol. It just feels safe to me. I also have to 3 kids that I leave at home sleeping while I am out and doing so when it is dark out makes me uncomfortable, but that's just me. To each their own.

Again, I really do appreciate all of the feedback from everyone, it's been great and I am learning a lot since starting MFP!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I am 35 years old, 5'3, and 195 lbs. Looking to lose about 20 lbs for now. Right now my activity is low. I had been walking every morning which is really the only chance I have to exercise with a full time job and 3 kids. But, I have not walked at all in the last two weeks as it has become more and more dark in the morning during the time that I have to go. Not comfortable walking in the dark.

I get this issue with walking in the dark..

I actually do run or walk in the pitch dark in the a.m. and it is scary.. I am looking forward to my 5:30 a.m. walks being more like it is at day break at 6:30 a.m. We have some street lights out in the neighborhood as well not helpful.. Good luck! :)

Yeah...but you do it :-). Just because I'm curious is it a "I might trip" kind of scary or a "someone may be lurking in the shadows" kind of scary?

But why does it matter...

It is freaking scary to walk in the dark in my home let alone on the silent dark streets in my neighborhood which I will eventually travel a couple of miles from door step and alone.

eta I do it and don't like it all..

It doesn't matter I just don't get it and was curious thats all. I prefer the dark, its quieter...kind of serene less cars and other nonesense in the way, less likely you'll be stuck on a corner waiting for traffic etc. Usually go at night though not the morning, like heck I'm getting up at 5:30am. Thats what scares me...mornings.

You probably don't get it because you are a man. Woman are often raised to be aware of their surroundings and not to put themselves in dangerous situations. We are taught to park in well lit areas and not to be out walking alone in the dark.

Probably so. But as stated...I don't get it. Doesn't mean I can't have empathy though, just means I struggle to understand it and if say just having a headlamp would help or something. But as I said, should probably just drop it not all that important to the OPs question. I think on some level the idea that half the population lives in fear of the other half to the point that they decide not to exercise is deeply troubling.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,027 Member
    Options
    I am 35 years old, 5'3, and 195 lbs. Looking to lose about 20 lbs for now. Right now my activity is low. I had been walking every morning which is really the only chance I have to exercise with a full time job and 3 kids. But, I have not walked at all in the last two weeks as it has become more and more dark in the morning during the time that I have to go. Not comfortable walking in the dark.

I actually do run or walk in the pitch dark in the a.m. and it is scary.. I am looking forward to my 5:30 a.m. walks being more like it is at day break at 6:30 a.m. We have some street lights out in the neighborhood as well not helpful.. Good luck! :)

Yeah...but you do it :-). Just because I'm curious is it a "I might trip" kind of scary or a "someone may be lurking in the shadows" kind of scary?

It is freaking scary to walk in the dark in my home let alone on the silent dark streets in my neighborhood which I will eventually travel a couple of miles from door step and alone.

It doesn't matter I just don't get it and was curious thats all. I prefer the dark, its quieter...kind of serene less cars and other nonesense in the way, less likely you'll be stuck on a corner waiting for traffic etc. Usually go at night though not the morning, like heck I'm getting up at 5:30am. Thats what scares me...mornings.

You probably don't get it because you are a man. Woman are often raised to be aware of their surroundings and not to put themselves in dangerous situations. We are taught to park in well lit areas and not to be out walking alone in the dark.

Probably so. But as stated...I don't get it. Doesn't mean I can't have empathy though, just means I struggle to understand it and if say just having a headlamp would help or something. But as I said, should probably just drop it not all that important to the OPs question. I think on some level the idea that half the population lives in fear of the other half to the point that they decide not to exercise is deeply troubling.

I agree.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    And for OP's question, it seems possible just that a couple weeks of a big deficit have finally caught up to you. Maybe give yourself a day or two at maintenance to recover, and then resume with a smaller deficit -- it's not clear to me, but it sounds like you had only done one day, or not even a whole day, at 1450? So maybe resume with 1450.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options

Kind of dumb-founded by your inability to get it.

Don't see how a headlamp would deter a rapist when there are no people around because it's 5:30 in the morning.

And yes, it is troubling that half the population lives in fear of the other half to the point that they decide not to exercise. I may be misunderstanding you, but it sounds as though you're putting the responsibility on those who experience the fear, and not on those who cause it or a society that typically places as much or more blame on the victim as on the perpetrator when something bad does happen. (Why was she wearing those clothes? Why was at a party or a bar drinking? Why was she out running alone?) If you live your life with those kind of messages, it can become ingrained that the way to take responsibility for yourself is to avoid even the most remote danger.

I am a middle-aged woman and I travel and exercise on foot in the dark alone regularly. There have been women in my area assaulted, raped, and even murdered while out exercising. It seems to me I hear of more attacks that take place in broad daylight than in pre-dawn hours, probably because there are more women out alone in daylight than in the night and pre-dawn, but I understand women who don't feel comfortable being out alone in the dark.

Well...I keep trying to drop it and people keep quoting what I say and questioning it which makes me feel like I should respond. Not sure if you want me to respond or not or if you'd rather I just drop it which I'm perfectly happy to do as I have stated several times now.

Do I think women get raped. Yes. Do I think women being raped is the womans fault somehow. Absolutely not. Do I think that it is likely that if you go outside in the dark you will be raped. Honestly, no...I think that is still pretty unlikely especially in your own neighborhood especially in the early morning. Am I wrong in that? Maybe. But if the chance is one in 100,000 or one in 20,000 sure that is much higher than it should be but at somepoint it stops making sense to react to that because the chance just isn't that high. If for example the chance of you being in a fatal car accident is higher but you still drive it sort of stops making sense for you to act on the fear of something that is less likely than the more likely incident that doesn't bother you.

Perhaps I'm naive but that is why I'm suprised that someone wouldn't go for a run at 5:30am because its going to be dark for another hour. Because honestly, what is the likelyhood of being attacked near your house at 5:30am in the morning? My guess is your chance of getting into a fatal car accident is much higher but you still drive right so...thats all I'm saying.

If I could in any way shape or form bring down the incidence of sexual assault believe me I would. I feel I do my part by not tolerating sexist behavior or speach around me or lewd references or catcalling (which if I witness I do call out as inppropriate). I think the culture needs to change, but I also think living in fear is no way to live and if its really harming your life at somepoint it is the fear itself that is causing the harm.

If you live in a neighborhood that actually has a high rape/assault frequency in the mornings then obviously yeah not a good idea to tempt that. If you don't live in a neighborhood that has a high rape/assault frequency in the morning then what is the benefit of avoiding being outside?

As for the headlamp thing that obviously wouldn't help with fear of rape but it would help with concerns of tripping over things in the dark which is another possible fear people might have. If they don't answer what their concern is why should I assume one versus the other?
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    And for OP's question, it seems possible just that a couple weeks of a big deficit have finally caught up to you. Maybe give yourself a day or two at maintenance to recover, and then resume with a smaller deficit -- it's not clear to me, but it sounds like you had only done one day, or not even a whole day, at 1450? So maybe resume with 1450.

I did one day at 1200 and today will be my 4th day at 1450. Actually, last night I didn't even make it to 1400. I think I had like 200 calories left. It is something I am just going to have to get used to I think and work through the hunger and the bad habits of immediately wanting to stuff my face when I feel like that. I distracted myself and with in 30-45 I actually wasn't hungry anymore. A win in my book! :)

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    You just started MFP.

2 lbs. per week is *aggressive*. It's the highest weight loss that is recommended safely. You're just starting out. You're trying to run before you learn how to walk.

Adjust your goals to 1 lb. per week maybe? And also, really go over your food choices. What kind of flatbread was it?

High Glycemic carbs can spike your blood sugar.

I get mad hungry when cutting calories. It's taken me a long time to figure out that I need low GI carbs throughout the day, with a mix of protein and fat, to keep my hunger at bay. Insulin is your friend and your enemy... You have to keep that guy working for you, not against you.

protein can spike insulin as well. not just carbs
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of the 7-minute workout? My parents live very busy lives (wake up at 6am to work, arrive home only at 7-8pm) and they got into the routine of doing a 7-minute workout every morning (adding in a few other workouts too like burpees).

I go to school overseas and when I came back home six months later, I was so surprised that the first thing I told them was, "You lost weight!" I was so proud of them for fitting in exercise in such a hectic time that it inspired me, and you don't need to even step out the house! :)
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I live in what I consider a safe neighborhood but being a woman I always feel uneasy trying to walk in the dark. I don't blame you one bit. It is better to be safe than sorry and it is a lot easier for a man to act like it isn't a big deal. He doesn't have to worry about getting raped. I haven't walked for a month because of an injured foot and am still losing at the exact same rate. I will eventually incorporate some actual exercise and start my walks again but you as far as the weight loss goes, you get most of your loss from your calorie deficit. Your stats are almost like mine. I am 5'3 and started here 75 days ago at 204. I am now 174. Good Luck with your journey.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

But you are a 6' + male. Would you feel comfortable with your mom, sister, or GF/wife walking or jogging alone at night or pre-dawn?
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

But you are a 6' + male. Would you feel comfortable with your mom, sister, or GF/wife walking or jogging alone at night or pre-dawn?

Yeah, I would feel comfortable with that...because I think the chance that they would be assaulted is lower than the chance that they would benefit from regular exercise. I would go as far to say that if darkness was the only time they had to go for a run I would encourage them to do so. Not that of course is it up to me in the slightest its up to them what they do and do not wish to do. But that fact isn't going to change anyones opinion about what I am saying or the fact that I am male somehow neuters my point about risk analysis.

There are just a lot of assumptions being made here. One assumption is that statisitically speaking you are at much higher risk being outside in public at 5:30am when it is dark than you are being inside your house. Is that actually true? Anytime I've looked at assault statistics in the case of sexual assault the vast majority occur within someones home from someone the person was familiar with, not in public by a total stranger. Yeah I look at numbers...does that really make me that cold? I care more about the reality and where the risk actually is over the fear because its the realities that get people hurt.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    I live in what I consider a safe neighborhood but being a woman I always feel uneasy trying to walk in the dark. I don't blame you one bit. It is better to be safe than sorry and it is a lot easier for a man to act like it isn't a big deal. He doesn't have to worry about getting raped. I haven't walked for a month because of an injured foot and am still losing at the exact same rate. I will eventually incorporate some actual exercise and start my walks again but you as far as the weight loss goes, you get most of your loss from your calorie deficit. Your stats are almost like mine. I am 5'3 and started here 75 days ago at 204. I am now 174. Good Luck with your journey.

wait,men cant be raped? so he doesnt have to worry? men can be raped just like a woman can. I wouldnt walk at night in my neighborhood either,but I have to worry more about wild animals attacking me(we have coyotes) or some meth head trying to rob me.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options

wait,men cant be raped? so he doesnt have to worry? men can be raped just like a woman can. I wouldnt walk at night in my neighborhood either,but I have to worry more about wild animals attacking me(we have coyotes) or some meth head trying to rob me.

Eh, I think its fair to say that the incidence of rape of men is much lower than for that of women especially in the case of in public by a stranger. If someone tells me my chance of being sexually assaulted in the street is lower than theirs because I am male I think that is probably true.

Honestly I don't think in public by a stranger is a high incidence for anyone, its almost always inside and almost always someone you know but still...I think its fair to say that as a male my risk of rape is lower than for a female. Then again my risk for violence in general is higher.

But kind of waaay off topic at this point so like I said, I'll quite happy to stop talking about it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Eh, I think its fair to say that the incidence of rape of men is much lower than for that of women especially in the case of in public by a stranger. If someone tells me my chance of being sexually assaulted in the street is lower than theirs because I am male I think that is probably true.

Honestly I don't think in public by a stranger is a high incidence for anyone, its almost always inside and almost always someone you know but still...I think its fair to say that as a male my risk of rape is lower than for a female. Then again my risk for violence in general is higher.

But kind of waaay off topic at this point so like I said, I'll quite happy to stop talking about it.

I know Im just saying
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I don't mind the dark, do I like it? Not really, especially this time of year when the bears are cruising my neighborhood. I walk my dog in the dark, that's about all. Early morning is my favorite time of day...it's also very quiet.