Hamstring and Abductor Variations

Options
Lately, with the weather getting colder (and switching up from hot to cold on a daily basis) the implant in my foot is killing me. I can do most of my program exercises, however the two that are extremely painful are the abductor machine and the hamstring curl (seated or lying...both press just the right spot on my foot to make my implant pop in and out with every rep). My question is, what are some other good variations that I could incorporate that blast your abductors and hamstrings?

Currently, I do wide and close-front stance squats, wide and close-front stance leg press, dumbbell deadlifts, goblet squats, side lunges, walking lunges, split/Bulgarian squats, hip thrusts, adductor machine and quad extension (all with moderate to heavy weights...and clearly not on the same day, just wanted to list what I'm already doing so you guys know I'm blasting a few of these areas otherwise, but I would love an alternative to the focus of the machines that I'm not able to do)

Thanks in advance for tips and suggestions!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Swiss ball curls hit the hamstrings hard. Here's a video so you can see if they would be okay with your implant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAYtwM95-ug

When I do abductor work, it is all bodyweight or with bands and I get most of the exercises from Bret Contreras. You might want to poke around his website. In fact, if you go to Youtube and just search contreras hip abduction you get a bunch of his videos.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Those Swiss ball curls are a subtle killer for the hamstrings!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    2/2 suggested the Swiss ball curls - DEFINITELY trying them tomorrow! Thanks so much guys! And as for the band work for abductors, I've heard that before and I should invest in a set of bands. I had previously purchased some but they were just loose bands instead of being the "infinity" kind that are made specifically to go around the legs. That's what I get for ordering online LOL
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm currently recovering from ACL replacement surgery, but before that I was rehabbing IT band syndrome... I'm not allowed to use any of the machines yet (other than leg press) so my focus is on bodyweight-style workouts using the exercise ball/bosu...

Swiss ball curls are part of my workout, as are bridges/bridges with leg extension (sometimes using the ball), clamshells, hip adduction, monster walks, and monster squats (all with resistance bands), curtsey lunges...
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hip bucks are a great hamstring exercise but might bother your foot. Try marching planks. Lie on your back with legs straight and feet flexed. Push your heels into the floor and bridge up on your heels and shoulders, ideally with arms and elbows off the ground.

In this position, while maintaining the bridge, alternate lifting a straight leg high in the air. Bring it down slowly, then lift the other. This can be modified by bending the legs a bit in the plank, or allowing your elbows to touch the floor. Either way be sure to maintain the bridge.

Helps with stability, balance, and works the whole posterior chain. Personally the hamstring curl is my least favorite hamstring exercise as it isolates too much. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Swiss ball curls make me wanna whimper ...I struggle to hit 2nd set of 10
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Glute-ham raises, but it may hurt your foot. You can also do stiff leg deadlifts.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! My next power "play around" leg day (when power leg day falls on a weekend) I'm trying all these suggestions and seeing what works!