Options
aEllisona
aEllisona Posts: 4 Member
Anybody have a good one that's easy?

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I dunno about recipes, we tend to use Bush's Chilli Beans, Whole tomatoes (canned/peeled then diced), whatever seasonings we prefer (usually Six Gun Chilli Mix if we can find it) and make up the rest as we go along. However, since I started with MFP I realized that 80% lean hamburger/ground chuck goes on sale a lot more than the leaner varieties, so I'll buy a family pack, brown it up completely then rinse it with hot water removing all of the fat I can. That makes it much leaner and you can consider it 93-95% lean in your recipe which is more protein, less fat, and obviously less calories. Add the ground beef then and your chilli recipe will be less calories/fat than if you used 70-80% lean hamburger.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I like to use the TJ's beefless ground beef stuff, can of tomatoes, can of kidney beans and then just eyeball the spices. Chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, chili flakes. Water to a good consistency. I'm not a measurer so much.
  • gaileckert
    gaileckert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MFP recipe for white bean turkey chili is my go to. The recipe is on the site / app. Let me know if you can't find it
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    gaileckert wrote: »
    MFP recipe for white bean turkey chili is my go to. The recipe is on the site / app. Let me know if you can't find it

That sounds good. I'm going to have to try it.

As far as basic chili goes, this is our normal 'base' recipe:

1 can of Bush's Mild Chili beans (red) (large can, 2.5 cups I think) (use 2 cans if you want to make more and want more beans)
    1 can of whole peeled tomatoes, either dice them or crush them yourself, I like big chunks so we crush them then chop coarsely (again, 2 cans if you want to make more and like lots of tomato)
    1 can of Rotel (small can)
    2 lbs of very lean hamburger or small diced beef (leanest I can find, usually 93%)
    1 pkg Six Gun Chili Mixins, we leave out the cayenne and the flour and salt, then add salt/pepper to taste.
    1 yellow onion diced small (optional)

That's pretty much it, makes enough for 4 people pretty easy. If it isn't thick enough for you, use some of the flour mixture that comes with the kit, mix with some warm water and add it, I never found it necessary.

If you find 75% or 80% ground beef on sale and want to use it, buy 3 lbs to 4lbs (it'll cook down to around 2lbs), brown it, and rinse it with very hot water until all the fat is gone, then you can consider it 93% lean. We actually do this quite often when we see ground chuck or 80% lean hamburger on sale. We'll buy 10 lbs, cook it down to around 6-7 lbs, rinse all the fat off, and freeze it in 16 oz baggies. Then when a recipe calls for hamburger we just pop it out into a bowl, microwave defrost and add it and call it 93% lean. Works like a charm.

You'll have to calculate calories based on what you add, but chili really is simple.
  • Spen1973
    Spen1973 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My recipe...

500g Lean steak mince beef (5% fat or less)
    1 large white onion
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans in chilli sauce
    1tbsp tomato purée
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    Salt & pepper
    3 garlic cloves diced
    1 beef stock cube
    1tsp mixed herbs
    1tsp chipotle chilli paste
    1tsp paprika
    1tsp cumin
    1tsp hot chilli powder
    1tsp marmite
    20grams 90% dark chocolate

Method...throw all in the slow cooker, 8-10 hrs on low....AMAZING! I add more chillis to this recipe as I like it very hot and you can cook in 4 hours on high but low and slow is better. If the finished product is too wet then thicken with what you usually use. Also for less calories it tastes great also with Turkey mince, quorn and soy mince....happy eating!
  • anntoureilles
    anntoureilles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love to make chili but don't really use a recipe, per se.

Brown some some chopped onion and green peppers and ground beef/turkey/chicken. Add cumin and a variety of chili powders (depending on what kind I have) and let that toast for a minute.

Deglaze with a half bottle of a nice beer (something dark, or even a Shiner Bock works well) then drink the rest :). Add a little beef broth and a couple cans of diced tomatoes, 1 1/2 cans of reduced sodium beans - I like to do a combo of kidney and pinto (yes, I'm from Texas and use beans - bah humbug).

If I have it, I like to roast a poblano and add that while it simmers. Poblanos are super tasty and add some nice heat. Also, a few minutes before serving, I will smash up a few taco or tostada shells, or a handful of taco chips and add that to the chili. This thickens it up, plus adds really wonderful flavor.

I am going to have to make chili soon now!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My recipe is basically:
    1 large chopped onion
    1 chopped large bell pepper
    1 chopped jalapeno
    1 chopped chipotle in adobo
    4 cloves of garlic
    1lb ground turkey
    2 cans petite diced tomatoes
    1 can pumpkin puree
    2 diced zucchini
    Start with 2T chili powder, 1T cumin, fresh cracked salt and pepper to taste. My daughter likes beans so I'll sometimes add 1 can of rinsed black beans into her chili. Just saute, simmer, and adjust seasoning until everything is cooked.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Here is my Vic's World's Best Paleo Chili:

3 pounds organic grass-fed 85% ground beef
    1 pound organic pasture-raised 80% ground pork
    1 pound organic veal
    2 large organic yellow onions, diced
    2 organic green bell peppers, diced
    2 organic red bell peppers, diced
    2 to 3 organic Poblano peppers, diced
    2 to 3 organic Cubanelle peppers, diced
    2 to 4 organic jalapeno peppers, diced
    1 to 2 organic Serrano peppers, diced
    7 large organic garlic cloves, minced fine
    2/3 cup organic olive oil
    5 Tbsp chili powder
    2.5 Tbsp ground cumin
    2.5 Tbsp dried oregano
    0.5 to 1.5 tsp. cayenne pepper, to taste
    One 28 oz can Muir Glen organic crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
    5.3 oz organic tomato paste (1 can or tube)
    1 Tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
    3 oz unsweetened bakers' chocolate

Heat 1/3 Cup olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven; brown the meat with half of the spices. Use a potato masher to blend and break up the meat while browning.

In a second large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1/3 cup olive oil and saute the vegetables, except the garlic, with the remaining spices. When vegetables have softened and cooked down by 1/3, add garlic. Stir frequently.

Add cooked meat to vegetables; add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer one hour on low heat. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and add chocolate, broken in pieces. Stir to distribute.

Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to combine. This recipe is always better the next day, after sitting in the fridge overnight! Heat and eat! Add really good shredded cheese - cheddar, cotija, etc. - if your WOE allows. I like it over a bed of greens, myself...

You can use conventionally raised produce and meat for this recipe, but you'll never get the same taste. It's wonder-mous...

Please contact me if you make this, and let me know how it came out for you, and if you liked it!

Yield: 24 cups
    Calories per cup: ~250
    Fat: 15 g
    Total Carbs: 9 g
    Net Carbs: 5 g
    Protein: 20 g

ENJOY!!
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Just one word....coffee.

Use strong black coffee as your liquid in a chilli and you won't look back.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 super easy faves:

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

EASY BLACK BEAN CHILI

3 cups cooked black beans
    1 jar (16oz) salsa
    1 onion, diced

Mix everything together, add 1 jarful of water (salsa jar), bring to a boil, then cook on medium until onions are transleucent.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've always liked this skinnytaste no bean chili recipe. You use lean ground turkey sweet potatos instead. It's really good!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/no-bean-turkey-and-sweet-potato-chili/
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Wait, we are supposed to use a recipe for chili? I couldn't even count how many times I have made chili over the years but I have never once used a recipe, just a little of this and a bunch of that and, if needed, adjust slightly after tasting since spices sometimes vary in flavor. I honestly don't know how many calories are in it because, until recently, I never bothered to count them.

I start with ground beef (or turkey) and drain the grease. I then add diced tomatoes and green chilies, a ton (and I do mean a ton but the proper amount varies some by brand) of chili powder, some salt, a bunch of garlic, a whole bunch of onion powder, a little bit of paprika, some cumin, some red pepper flakes, some beans (however many you want or just leave them out), and usually just a little water to get the consistency right which because of all the chili powder, will be fairly thick. If you like spicy, add jalapeños or cayenne or whatever you like to heat it up.

Be warned though, this is the most potent natural gas producing substance known to man.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Just one word....coffee.

Use strong black coffee as your liquid in a chilli and you won't look back.

Hmmm... this sounds interesting.