Eggplant - A delicious enigma

Options
Raevyns
Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
Hello all!

I've recently gotten an eggplant in my green grocer delivery and although I tend to think of myself as a deft hand in the kitchen, I have no idea what to do with this tasty thing. I've never cooked one before.

For those in the know, do I really have to salt slices of it and let them sit for hours? Can I just cut into it and have at or will that be slimy gross?

If you have a delicious recipe for fresh eggplant, have at me! I'll post my results!

- The Cyborg

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If you want quick & easy and have a grill pan, just slice about 1/2" thick slices, brush on some olive oil and sprinkle on salt & pepper and grill them - about 4 minutes each side. Yummy as a "burger" with the usually fixings. If you don't have a grill pan, you could always broil them, too.

The other way I use eggplant is making a ratatouille. Dice & saute up in a tablespoon of olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted. YUM!
  • Raevyns
    Options
    I do indeed have a grill pan! I also have the fixings for ratatouille. Hrm.

...you don't salt the eggplant slices overnight first? For realsies?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The salt draws out the water. I really only do it if I get a big one.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't bother salting mine anymore, although I did the first couple times I made eggplant. I like to grill them, or to dice them up to use in curries and stir-fries.

Last night I made a stir-fry with equal parts diced eggplant and tofu, a generous spoonful of chopped garlic, half an orange pepper, a quarter cup of Thai basil, .5 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp lime juice, .5 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp sesame seed oil. Very nice!
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I always used to salt them as I was told that you had to draw out the bitter juices but was in a hurry one day, didn't salt it and couldn't tell the difference so I haven't bothered since! I also love ratatouille and (a bit high calorie this one) egg plant parmigiana. Yum!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    Options
    I do indeed have a grill pan! I also have the fixings for ratatouille. Hrm.

...you don't salt the eggplant slices overnight first? For realsies?

I've been cooking eggplant for years and have never bothered with salting first. Doesn't seem to be a problem for me :)
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love aubergines (as they are known in the UK). Lovely in ratatouille but great baked in the oven as they are. There's a great recipe for Aubergine Parmigiana here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/aubergine-parmigiana-melanzane-alla-parmigiana Yum. Also great in curries. It's a meaty vegetable.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    You have all kindled a spark of hope! Tonight I shall grill me some eggplant, with no hesitation about salting.

I'll take pics of the results!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I've always wanted to try eggplant, but wasn't sure what to do with it. The Ratatouille recipes sounds delicious, and I could totally handle that! Thanks!
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love aubergines (as they are known in the UK). Lovely in ratatouille but great baked in the oven as they are. There's a great recipe for Aubergine Parmigiana here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/aubergine-parmigiana-melanzane-alla-parmigiana Yum. Also great in curries. It's a meaty vegetable.

I second this! They make really great spiced fritters too. Oh and you don't have to salt them anyomore because they have been bred to be less bitter
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    Options
    You made me crave grilled eggplant so much that I had to change my dinner menu - stopped & picked up a beautiful eggplant on the way home. Grilled it with thick slices of onion...so good!!! :bigsmile:
  • Raevyns
    Options
    Okay. Tonight ended up being a cheese, meats, wine and crackers night. Tomorrow. Ratatouille.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    Success! Ratatoullie and steak for dinner tonight! It was scrummy.

42c11d8aef5311e28c1322000a1fb036_7.jpg
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I made eggplant Parmesan for dinner tonight. I sliced and salted it and let it sit while I gathered the rest of the ingredients and set up the breading station.

I loosely followed this recipe: http://www.twinlab.com/recipe/parmesan-crusted-baked-eggplant

2 out of 3 kids and my biggest kid of all (my husband) ate them and asked for seconds.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant! I never bother salting them. I think it was necessary in the olden days , but not any more.

I make eggplant stew ( vegan), roast whole then covered with tahini, roast eggplant slices, baked slices ( dipped in egg and bread crumbs), asian-fusion style, yummy endless options
  • Raevyns
    Options
    I made eggplant Parmesan for dinner tonight. I sliced and salted it and let it sit while I gathered the rest of the ingredients and set up the breading station.

I loosely followed this recipe: http://www.twinlab.com/recipe/parmesan-crusted-baked-eggplant

2 out of 3 kids and my biggest kid of all (my husband) ate them and asked for seconds.

Oooh, I'll try that next time I get an eggplant in my green grocer box!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    If you get a new veggie and dont know what to do with it roast it :) i would sweat your egg plat first. Salt it and let it sweat then rinse it off and season as you would like
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I love eggplant I slice mine thinly put them in the frying pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray then sprinkle curry powder over them while they are cooking then flip them when needed very yummy to me anyway.
  • becajb
    becajb Posts: 50
    Options
    A great easy way to prepare them is to prick it and pop it on a baking try and then in the oven whole. Roast it dry with no oil or salt or anything for 20 minutes on about 180o. I.e. long enough for it to get a little black but not collapse. (If i was making baba ganoush with it I would wait till the collapse stage.)
    Take it out of the over and being careful of your fingers (s it is super hot) wrap cling wrap around it. Leave for 15 minutes.

After this the skin will remove easily and then you can dice for salad or stir though some tomato puree and other roasted veg for a really light delicious side dish.

A favourite in my house is to mix with zucchini, onion, mushrooms and tomato with ground cumin, coriander seed, paprika etc and warm through. Usually i serve it with homemade kofta's or grilled meat.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A favourite in my house is to mix with zucchini, onion, mushrooms and tomato with ground cumin, coriander seed, paprika etc and warm through. Usually i serve it with homemade kofta's or grilled meat.

Well now I know what I'm making the next time I buy an eggplant.