Options

Replies

• LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    LAC73167 wrote: »
    Ooooh. Sugar gets some people on these boards all riled up!! Forget what the naysayers are saying to you. I have mostly cut out sugar (I eat between 10-15g a day) and the sugar I DO eat comes from fruits and. Veggies ...And I have lost weight and I CERTAINLY am not eating at a calorie. deficit. I feel better, I'm not having energy spikes and drops, sleep better, not sore all the time, not foggy headed, Some people like to spew out what they can quickly google to benefit "the lurkers" ...please... you do what works for you, be healthy about it and remember, everyone is different and everyone's BODY will react differently. Interesting side note: I cut out sugar and my fat (mostly all healthy fats) is always over and I've managed to lose 39 lbs. so far. go figure. I was attacked for a sugar post once as well. It sucks to be talked down to when you are looking for inspiration, motivation, whatever. Good luck to you :)

Care to elaborate on the bolded? You are losing weight and not eating at a calorie deficit?

I believe you are eating at a deficit. You are one of my friends and I think your goal is around 1350 or so and you usually eat about 1500. That is most likely a deficit (I don't know how tall you are , but I'm 5'4.75" and that's a deficit for me) especially since you are losing weight. Don't eat added sugar if you don't want to, but it is not poison and in moderation it is fine. I eat added sugar every day (I will always at least drink coffee with real sugar every day) and it did not impede my weight loss and my maintenance is going along just fine even eating refined sugar.

Like I said upthread to OP, do what feels good to you :) Our bodies are all different. I didn't limit sugar for weight loss, I limited it for other reasons, mostly because it made me feel horribly lethargic and bloated.
    Surprised to see you here! :smile:
    Ooooh. Sugar gets some people on these boards all riled up!! Forget what the naysayers are saying to you. I have mostly cut out sugar (I eat between 10-15g a day) and the sugar I DO eat comes from fruits and. Veggies ...And I have lost weight and I CERTAINLY am not eating at a calorie. deficit. I feel better, I'm not having energy spikes and drops, sleep better, not sore all the time, not foggy headed, Some people like to spew out what they can quickly google to benefit "the lurkers" ...please... you do what works for you, be healthy about it and remember, everyone is different and everyone's BODY will react differently. Interesting side note: I cut out sugar and my fat (mostly all healthy fats) is always over and I've managed to lose 39 lbs. so far. go figure. I was attacked for a sugar post once as well. It sucks to be talked down to when you are looking for inspiration, motivation, whatever. Good luck to you :)

Care to elaborate on the bolded? You are losing weight and not eating at a calorie deficit?

I believe you are eating at a deficit. You are one of my friends and I think your goal is around 1350 or so and you usually eat about 1500. That is most likely a deficit (I don't know how tall you are , but I'm 5'4.75" and that's a deficit for me) especially since you are losing weight. Don't eat added sugar if you don't want to, but it is not poison and in moderation it is fine. I eat added sugar every day (I will always at least drink coffee with real sugar every day) and it did not impede my weight loss and my maintenance is going along just fine even eating refined sugar.
    The very definition of a calorie deficit is that you eat less than you burn. So, if those stats are true, your friend is not eating at a deficit. Perhaps exercise figures into her stats? Or not logging intake correctly?

That would look like that, but exercise does figure in, although I don't always eat my calories. Most days I come in under, but some days I don't, and thats ok :) I'm definitely logging correctly (you should have just seen me trying to figure out serving sizes (in oz's) of a pot of Millet! LOL Scales and bowls and tupperware EVERYWHERE!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

The very definition of a calorie deficit is that you eat less than you burn. So, if those stats are true, your friend is not eating at a deficit. Perhaps exercise figures into her stats? Or not logging intake correctly?

I think the idea is that her MFP goal is 1350, and she's eating 1500, but that 1500 is probably still a deficit. I don't think 1350 is supposed to be what she burns or TDEE.

I'm 5'3, and around my goal weight, and 1500 is a significant deficit for me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think the idea is that her MFP goal is 1350, and she's eating 1500, but that 1500 is probably still a deficit. I don't think 1350 is supposed to be what she burns or TDEE.

Gotcha. :)
  • LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1740, so you are correct! :)
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started on LCHF 8 weeks ago. I cut out all sugar. Protein and fat definitely keep hunger and your sweet tooth at bay. So i highly recommend it. But I occasionally have a bit of dried fruit. It's very sweet so I don't need much, and it's become a special treat. So once or twice a week only. That's something you could try. Good luck.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Wannabmarathoner Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bininj wrote: »
    I started on LCHF 8 weeks ago. I cut out all sugar. Protein and fat definitely keep hunger and your sweet tooth at bay. So i highly recommend it. But I occasionally have a bit of dried fruit. It's very sweet so I don't need much, and it's become a special treat. So once or twice a week only. That's something you could try. Good luck.

I love dried fruit! What is LCHF??
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Lchf= low carb high fat
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    A bit off subject - what are everyone's thoughts about cooking with olive oil? I read somewhere that it is bad for you to cook with. Is that true? I can't stand the taste of coconut oil with eggs and veggies. What are other alternatives? LLCRunner? Lemarcat? Thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Avocado oil?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    A bit off subject - what are everyone's thoughts about cooking with olive oil? I read somewhere that it is bad for you to cook with. Is that true? I can't stand the taste of coconut oil with eggs and veggies. What are other alternatives? LLCRunner? Lemarcat? Thanks!

I cook with olive oil, and I love it. I've never had a problem with it before.

• Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Avocado oil?

I actually have avocado oil that I use as a salad dressing. I will try it for cooking. May be better than olive oil. Maybe it's just another false claim out there that cooking with olive oil is dangerous for our health. ugh.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Avocado oil?

I actually have avocado oil that I use as a salad dressing. I will try it for cooking. May be better than olive oil. Maybe it's just another false claim out there that cooking with olive oil is dangerous for our health. ugh.

Yep, I'd say that's false.

I have not tried avocado oil before.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I also cook with olive oil. I usually use the spray one though. It's easier to get a thin layer. Still adds calories, but not as many (unless that's your goal).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What was the specific concern that was mentioned? When determining whether or not to believe whatever it was... just consider the Mediterranean diet and the longevity of the Italian, Greek, and Spanish populations...

• Wannabmarathoner
    Options

What was the specific concern that was mentioned? When determining whether or not to believe whatever it was... just consider the Mediterranean diet and the longevity of the Italian, Greek, and Spanish populations...

[/quote]

It mentioned that when cooking with olive oil over high heat, the compounds that are broken down and are dangerous to our health. I've run into this information in a few places and can't provide resources, unless I look it up. Just wanted your opinion :) Good point re: Mediterraneans.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for an 'interesting' thread. Back to work tomorrow for 3 grueling back-to-back 12's. I'll try to keep up if anything pops up here!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,005 Member
    Options

Yes. My point was that she is eating at a deficit. I don't really care if people want to eliminate refined sugars. I have no plans to eliminate it, but if they want to that's fine. I just wanted to point out that she was in fact eating at a deficit and losing weight. It doesn't matter if you cut out all refined sugar if you aren't at a deficit you will not lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yes. My point was that she is eating at a deficit. I don't really care if people want to eliminate refined sugars. I have no plans to eliminate it, but if they want to that's fine. I just wanted to point out that she was in fact eating at a deficit and losing weight. It doesn't matter if you cut out all refined sugar if you aren't at a deficit you will not lose weight.

Bingo!
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and butter are my favorites to cook with. I find coconut oil has no flavour. Avocado oil is lovely in salads. Pesto is good over steak or chicken.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I am not here to debate the effects of sugar again. My #1 goal is to see if it is sugar that is causing some unusual symptoms I've been experiencing, and the only way to do that is to eliminate most things I've been consuming until a couple days ago. If I lose weight while I experiment then bonus!

The only symptoms that too much sugar would cause are:
    * Lethargy
    * Increased urination
    * Increased thirst

If you're experiencing these, you're either diabetic, or pre-diabetic. Your doctor has a simple test for this: A1C panel.

Those are main symptoms of when sugar affect someone who is diabetic (or sends someone to the MD only to be diagnosed with diabetes), but there's also that foggy headed feeling and diarrhea.

And, that would be the only time you really need to control sugar intake, tightly.