How do you get back on track after a food binge?

Options
Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited October 2016 in Motivation and Support
I was wondering how you, as an individual, react after going on a binge eating spree. We struggle and focus on maintaining our diets and eating within our daily calorie range, but there are those days for everyone where they just go off the board and eat anything/everything they like, sometimes without any control. So, after doing that, how do you pick yourself back up and get back on track? What are some things you tell yourself or do in order to not feel too guilty or regretful, and tell yourself that it's okay.

I brought up this topic because, as you guessed, I JUST went on a binge and ate some salty (sodium-filled) chips with high-in-calorie cheese, and some chocolate (high in calories), and sunflower seeds (not sure if it's fattening or not, but still), ALL AFTER I ate dinner. So here I am, feeling all guilty, like my progress has been reset. Quite irrational to think that way, if you think about it, but it's hard not to feel that way after going on such a binge.

Replies

• HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do not feel guilty, remember how you feel. This is a learning process. Just chart what you ate and turn the page of your book. Think of different strategies. Arg.... I wanted to binge so I showered looked in the mirror cut my bangs... They are very straight and blunt. Not good. Tomorrow will be better.

• judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Use this as a learning opportunity. I often overeat as a way to NOT feel something. If that resonates, see if you can figure out what you're trying not to feel. And ok you're disappointed in yourself for making bad choices, but think about all of the GOOD choices you made all day before your binge, and the day before that, etc. And move on.
  • octopusplum
    octopusplum Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just log it and move forward. If I notice a trend of specific days I'll see if I maybe ate less before the binge, did I have a particularly stressful day, etc. That way if there's a reason for it, I can avoid in the future or at least try to mitigate the potential for a future issue.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I actually give up and just don't finish logging on days like that...what's the point because then I feel more guilty. I think it's the time of year too. So many yummy things with pumpkin/Apple everything...so as you guessed I also binged last night and for myself I think it's because I had been away at a friends for a few days and I fell off the bandwagon while there as much as I tried not to. So...I don't log the day I binge and then just get right back to it the next day and today, so far so good and I don't deprive myself the calories as someone else also said. I just eat my same calorie limit as before. We have to know that stress does get in the way at times and just life itself can make for a time of bingeing but guilt is not ever a good or healthy thing. We can not feel guilty but know it's not how we want to continue and then start again the next day. Just as God's mercies are new each day..:. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how you, as an individual, react after going on a binge eating spree. We struggle and focus on maintaining our diets and eating within our daily calorie range, but there are those days for everyone where they just go off the board and eat anything/everything they like, sometimes without any control. So, after doing that, how do you pick yourself back up and get back on track? What are some things you tell yourself or do in order to not feel too guilty or regretful, and tell yourself that it's okay.

I brought up this topic because, as you guessed, I JUST went on a binge and ate some salty (sodium-filled) chips with high-in-calorie cheese, and some chocolate (high in calories), and sunflower seeds (not sure if it's fattening or not, but still), ALL AFTER I ate dinner. So here I am, feeling all guilty, like my progress has been reset. Quite irrational to think that way, if you think about it, but it's hard not to feel that way after going on such a binge.

Log it, move on, don't beat yourself up. This moment, this breath.....
  • Emmalovestorun
    Emmalovestorun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Personally remove anything I am likely to binge on and never buy them again, if there not there you can't do it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really have days where I just eat everything in site...sure, I have days when I'm going to be over...no biggie...that's called living life. I know that it is unrealistic to be 100% on all of the time and don't have an all or nothing mentality about any of this...it is what it is and tomorrow is a new day. I tend to be a big picture guy and don't get wrapped up in the minutia of this day or that day...it's not like going to a BBQ at a buddies house and overdoing it is going to somehow undo my fitness and overall nutrition.

I don't look at it as needing to get back on track...occasions here and there are just that and they are largely irrelevant to the bigger picture. I will never understand I guess how splurging here and there somehow derails everything...I just don't understand that mentality I guess.
  • HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Because some times life is. Dining out large potions. BBQ, beer, chilifests, munchies at everybody's house, and time catches up.

• cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had a binge night as well (pizza, chicken wings, soda, cookies, popcorn) and honestly I don't think I'm going to have trouble getting back on track tomorrow. The one advantage I'm finding with serious binges (rare as they have become) is that I generally don't crave snacks and "bad" foods for several days after and tend to end up losing 25% more over the following week. I'm bummed about the volume of food, but at the same time it was part of a Netflix-&-sofa date night with hubby & after not eating all day & working an eight hour shift (not to mention running a weekly deficit) I was pretty darn hungry. Bottom line: I made bad dietary choices tonight, for the next few days I'm going to log more diligently & do some extra biking, and most importantly I'm going to get on with my life. (On a side note, while it was definitely a binge, the volume was about half of what I would have had a year ago. Progress is progress regardless of a bad day.)
  • foen_i
    foen_i Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First of all stop telling yourself: everybody does it. It is about self control. You control your life. Take control and responsibility. Just do not go overboard or start seriously exercising.
    Either way make a choice not an excuse! You can do it!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to scratch that itch. Sometimes I'll log it, but a lot of times I won't. Regardless, I will start over the next day and continue to stay within my limits, exercise, and not beat myself up. No matter what, I continue to log, and take a look at what was going on when I was bingeing. I'll binge when I feel out of control about something, and eat to my feelings. I just have to remember that feelings are not fact; that what is going on is better addressed than not addressed. This, too, will pass.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Well if this was something I were to do a lot, I would pay attention.. If this is a one time deal, no biggy, I log it and move on.

Its really not gonna do anything in terms of your weight loss, now it might play havoc on your mind and emotions if you let it, it is all in how you determine this splurge to be negative or not.. Did you enjoy it?

I just can't allow my self to do things that leave me feeling bad, shameful, disgusting, guilty, horrible, etc.. this is just wasted negative energy, shite happens..
  • Bassador0302
    Bassador0302 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also had a binge day yesterday. Started when my son (25yo) bought Gyros for lunch while I was packing to move (occasionally I allow myself to eat it). The binge behavior didn't begin until dinner. I thought I'd be healthy & have fruit & nuts. I measured ¼ cup of cashews, then went back again & again—eventually eating 1½ cups like popcorn while I watched a movie. Then ½ cup of my son's forbidden Cookies & Cream ice cream (he really forbids). I then ate four Outshine Strawberry frozen bars, one after the other.

When I binge, I still record it all to keep things in perspective. The calories may be less or more than my guess. Then I can look back a few days for any trends I otherwise might miss. Stress eating from impending move and the previous day I had major migraine nausea and didn't get enough nutrients & calories. Not excuses, just looking at behaviors over time. Identifing issues helps me moving forward to avoid similar pitfalls. I try to stay positive. Remind myself how well I've done since I started. I've only used My Fitness Pal a few months, but I began losing weight prior (over 60 pounds from one year ago and 95 pounds total).

Celebrate your successes! Today's a new day of opportunities!
  • CrescentVolf
    CrescentVolf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best thing to do, but if I go over my calories I either exercise the difference or fast the next day. Not as punishment per se, but just to offset the effects. And if it was a lot of sodium, I drink more water than usual (lately I've been awful about my water intake though).