What is my activity level?

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find it right now? What should I set my activity level to? I've heard people say I should set it depending on my daily steps. What would be considered active? 10,000 steps daily, or more?

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Do you sit most of the day at work, or are you constantly moving at work? If you sit most of the time, then adjust your activity level accordingly.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Does 10,000 steps a day include any of your purposeful exercise? This is outside of day to day normal activities like your day time job or responsibilities?

MFP wants you to describe your day to day activities or job:

1) sedentary, spend most of the day sitting (desk job)
    2) lightly active, on your feet some of the day, or (teacher)
    3) active, spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (waitress, salesman)
    4) very active, Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (bike messenger)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The link above is actually interesting and I looked up a study about it too..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

While on my 5000 step days I consider my self completely sedentary, when I get 12000 or 13000 steps that includes about 8,000 steps with exercise and the rest under 5000 steps which are my MFP neat calories.

I would have never considered to use my 12000 -13000 steps to put me as highly active for MFP.. Interesting..i changed mine briefly and it gave 340 more calories to eat, but this is actually more calories than my actual maintain weight..i will have to work with that after I move to maintain.
  • x3livox
    x3livox Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all this info guys! I guess I'm always confused because I'm a student, so a good portion of my day is sitting. But I notice my steps tend to add up, from walking back and forth to classes, up and down the stairs, and back and forth to my apartment. I usually walk somewhere between 8000-10000 steps on a weekday and usually a little more on a weekend. I don't count my walking calories towards my exercise. I've considered this lightly active, but I just wanted to check and make sure I wasn't lowballing myself