Calories in dry beans vs cooked beans

Options
I've been cooking dried beans for a bit but I never know what to put in for the calories. I just soak the beans and cook them. Going from the calories from the dry bag they are 160 a cup. However according to MFP it's 230 a cup. I don't understand the discrepancies. Should I use the number of calories for a generic cup of black beans or the number from dry?

Thank you

Replies

• Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also cook beans from dry. I go with the generic cooked MFP number. However, sometimes I look at a few different entries or do a Google search to verify the nutritional info as one time I got a calorie number from MFP that was wayyyyy to high (I think it was for black eyed peas). Dried beans take up less space than soaked and cooked beans, so I think there should actually be more calories in a dried cup (usually my packages list nutritional info by the 1/4 cup). I guess the best would be to go by dry weight as opposed to cups, but I usually cook the whole pound at once and use them in different recipes so I wouldn't know how much I was eating in each dish. If you're using all of the beans you cook in one dish, I guess you could just use the info on the package.
  • JessieMay90
    JessieMay90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you