Beginning weights, is this a good plan?

Options
Hi all!

I'm 5'9" and about 80 lbs overweight.

In addition to starting this strength training program, I also do a brisk 30 minute walk daily.

This is the plan I found:

3X a week
3 sets of 15 reps each

15 min Treadmill warm-up

1. Bench Press
2. Lat Pulldowns
3. Floor Crunches
4. Front Shoulder Raise
5. Squats
6. Biceps Curl
7. Triceps Pushdown

15 min Yoga inspired stretching cool-down.

At the weights I've set the machine to for each exercise, it makes the last 3 or so reps very difficult. I wouldn't say to failure, but I really have to want it :laugh:

Is this a good full body plan to help strengthen and tone?

Thanks!

Replies

• Nomnom83
    Nomnom83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaJacobs75
    MaJacobs75 Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't see why not, as long as your building muscle, your able to burn more calories and helping to lose more weight. Just keep in mind, if your tracking your weight, building muscle mass will effect how much you weigh. But keep up to your exercise and healthy diet and you should do just fine.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Not really.

There's better programs around. Like All-Pros. Starting strenght. New rules of lifting for women.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not, as long as your building muscle, your able to burn more calories and helping to lose more weight. Just keep in mind, if your tracking your weight, building muscle mass will effect how much you weigh. But keep up to your exercise and healthy diet and you should do just fine.

It's difficult to build muscle mass - especially when in a calorie deficit. So, the OP shouldn't worry about that too much. There will be some gains in the beginning, and fluid retention, but that will taper off.

To the OP - are you set on doing machines or have you considered free weights?
  • Nomnom83
    Options

It's difficult to build muscle mass - especially when in a calorie deficit. So, the OP shouldn't worry about that too much. There will be some gains in the beginning, and fluid retention, but that will taper off.

To the OP - are you set on doing machines or have you considered free weights?

A friend just up and gave me her old Bowflex so I feel I should get some use out of it. Eventually I would like to join a gym and play around with the free weights, but right now my motivation lives in a corner my my living room :wink:
  • Nomnom83
    Options
    Not really.

There's better programs around. Like All-Pros. Starting strenght. New rules of lifting for women.

Thanks! I'll check these out.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals:
    1-5 reps - Strength/Power
    5-8 reps Strength & some Hypertrophy
    8-13 reps - Hypertrophy
    13+ reps- Endurance

Maybe check out Stronglifts, Starting Strength, AllPros and Wendler to get a better idea on programs and such :)

ETA: I think you should cut the treadmill to 8-10min for the warm up

Also even if you can't follow these programs due to lack of free weights, know that you can always figure out alternatives to those exercises and at least apply the approach and concepts (warm ups,sets/reps, etc) to what you are doing