What do you do when you have lost the weight?

unnichaacko
unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
edited October 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
What do you do when you have lost the weight you wanted to and now at the weight you want to be at?
1 - Do you minimize your exercise times? I have seen one of my friends exercising twice a day while losing weight and now he goes to gym five to six times a week for an hour. He seems to be gaining some, but who am I to tell?
2 - Do you gradually increase your calories?
3 - Do you start to eat junk food again but in moderation?
4 - What are the changes you have made in your lives after losing the amount you wanted to?

Replies

• TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    I realised that the weight I wanted to be was higher than what it could be, so that although I don't have a goal weight as such I can still get rid of a few lbs, but more focused on improved body composition. I'm not interested in going back to eating "junk food" again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,475 Member
    What do you do when you have lost the weight you wanted to and now at the weight you want to be at?

1 - Do you minimize your exercise times? No! I lost the weight so that I could exercise more!

2 - Do you gradually increase your calories? Sort of.

3 - Do you start to eat junk food again but in moderation? Not really, no.

4 - What are the changes you have made in your lives after losing the amount you wanted to? Much more exercise, as planned. And back to normal, pre-weight gain eating. :)

• unnichaacko
    Machka9 wrote: »

1 - Do you minimize your exercise times? No! I lost the weight so that I could exercise more!

4 - What are the changes you have made in your lives after losing the amount you wanted to? Much more exercise, as planned. And back to normal, pre-weight gain eating. :)

What if someone already works out enough? Or like my friend, twice?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,475 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

What if someone already works out enough? Or like my friend, twice?

Well personally ...

When I was heavier ... I was cycling about 3000 km/year and walking about 800 km/year and doing some weight lifting and occasional water sports.

This year so far I've cycled over 5000 km for the year and my walking goal is at least 1000 km, like last year. Plus I've been doing more weight lifting. No water sports yet, but summer's coming.

Ideally I'd like to get up to cycling closer to 10,000 km/year. :) And I'd like to include more events than I've done this year.

By comparison, if your friend were at the maximum amount he/she wanted to work out, my suggestion would be to start looking into events and challenges.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    1 - Do you minimize your exercise times? I have seen one of my friends exercising twice a day while losing weight and now he goes to gym five to six times a week for an hour. He seems to be gaining some, but who am I to tell?
    4 - What are the changes you have made in your lives after losing the amount you wanted to?

Is your friend strength training? Could he/she building some muscle?

As for me:

1 - Do you minimize your exercise times? I keep lifting and cardio, its part of maintaining. I have a regime on some days I do both.

2 - Do you gradually increase your calories? Yes

3 - Do you start to eat junk food again but in moderation? Never stopped

4 - What are the changes you have made in your lives after losing the amount you wanted to? I stick to balanced meals, meet macros. I still allow eating out, sweet treats, all while maintaining a calorie goal that meets my maintain weight. I allow a weight range +/- 5 pounds.

• unnichaacko
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

As for me:

1 - Do you minimize your exercise times? I keep lifting and cardio, its part of maintaining. I have a regime on some days I do both.

4 - What are the changes you have made in your lives after losing the amount you wanted to? I stick to balanced meals, meet macros. I still allow eating out, sweet treats, all while maintaining a calorie goal that meets my maintain weight. I allow a weight range +/- 5 pounds.

Yes, he is. He possibly is building muscle. But I've heard from somewhere, the difference between fat and muscle mass is not that large.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    edited October 2016
    I would say that since you cannot possibly know how much your friend is eating or what kind of workouts etc., why spend time thinking about it?

I found that my food and exercise belong to me and me alone.

I still (always have) eaten sugary treats. I don't eat them often because once I start, I find it difficult to stop.

I exercise the same amount I did when losing. I'm now at maintenance, but I want to eat much more than I am given if I don't exercise. That extra 200-300 calories a day makes a big difference. If I don't get some exercise, my calorie goal is just too low for me to adhere to long-term.

I practice (my own take on) intermittent fasting. I start with coffee in the morning. Three hours later, a meal. Five to six hours later another meal. If I am really busy or exercise that day I will eat a small something either mid-day or right after the afternoon/evening meal. I need to feel full in order to stop eating, so the two meals thing works better for me than a bunch of small snacks.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

1. No I keep it the same, maybe a bit less cardio
    2. Yea I like to reverse diet if I can, depends how big my deficit was
    3. I eat everything including junk in moderation so my diet would be the same but larger portions
    4. I lift weights and I never stop making goals. I enjoy fitness and cooking and make it a priority in my life
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

As for me:

Yes, he is. He possibly is building muscle. But I've heard from somewhere, the difference between fat and muscle mass is not that large.

Not necessarily true.. there are a lot of factors involved so your friend very well may be reaping the rewards from recomping, you said "he seems to be gaining, but who am I to tell?"

Do you know if this is actual body scale weight, body measurements or other measurements of fat loss/muscle gain? not sure where or sources you getting this information from..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

I exercise more than I did before now.
    I didn't actually increase my calories. I keep the same deficit, I just don't sweat it when I go over.
    I never stopped eating junk food in moderation
    I didn't make any change from losing. Same mindset. The only difference is that I'm hungrier now so I eat a bit more naturally some days.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    I exercise about the same as I always have.
    I slowly increased my calories to maintenance. Now I usually eat under for the week and over on the weekends.
    I always ate junk food in moderation.
    No real changes, just eat a little more.
    (I have been maintaining for about 2 1/2 years.)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    What your friend does won't necessarily apply to you. Why not just switch your goal to maintenance and do what you enjoy within the MFP parameters? Be that more food and/or less exercise.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2016
    It's tough to compare yourself to others. You never know exactly what others are doing when you don't see them.

1 - Do you minimize your exercise times?
    No, actually I exercise much more. Not to burn calories, but because I love working out and I can do a whole lot more physically then I could years ago.

During the week I still eat at a slight deficit and I go over maintenance over the weekend. It works great because I'd lose a little during the week, gain a little over the weekend and repeat. It's a nice balance and I maintain easily.

I never stopped eating junk once in a while. When I was losing I planned for it and watched my portions and I still continue so during maintenance. Haven't gained any weight during my 3.5+ years of maintenance. Early on when I took treats away I did well for a short time. Then I ended up binging on whatever I was missing weeks later. Then I felt defeated and it set me back. So I had to teach myself moderation. I really don't miss a lot of the junk I used to eat however.

- Fitness is a huge part of my life. Everyday I have to do something active, whether it's weights, walking, sports etc.

- I have a much healthier relationship with food and it no longer has power over me.

- I learned that planning my meals out ahead of time keeps me in control.

- Now I love to cook and make my own versions of recipes and try new spices etc. Also I cook a lot from scratch, I make my own salad dressings, spice mixes, tea blends etc. I find it very enjoyable!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    1/ I really enjoy my exercise so I maximise my exercise time not minimise. Looking forward to retirement so I can do more.

2/ No I just bump calories straight up. I'm not into trying to micro manage my weight unless it's for a particular important event.

3/ My diet never changed to lose weight, just the quantity. Some of it I'm sure other people would classify as junk food but mostly it's home cooked, high quality, high taste and crucially - high enjoyment.

4/ I bought smaller clothes and a faster bicycle. I set new goals. I also probably eat more than when I was fat as I move more.

And I would echo - worry about yourself not what your friends are doing. Maybe worth considering if they have the same goals as you and seem to be more/less successful then there maybe something to learn from them?

If you have ambitions to be a "parkour star" then minimising your exercise would be a seriously odd thing to do!
  • unnichaacko
    sijomial wrote: »
    1/ I really enjoy my exercise so I maximise my exercise time not minimise. Looking forward to retirement so I can do more.

2/ No I just bump calories straight up. I'm not into trying to micro manage my weight unless it's for a particular important event.

3/ My diet never changed to lose weight, just the quantity. Some of it I'm sure other people would classify as junk food but mostly it's home cooked, high quality, high taste and crucially - high enjoyment.

4/ I bought smaller clothes and a faster bicycle. I set new goals. I also probably eat more than when I was fat as I move more.

And I would echo - worry about yourself not what your friends are doing. Maybe worth considering if they have the same goals as you and seem to be more/less successful then there maybe something to learn from them?

If you have ambitions to be a "parkour star" then minimising your exercise would be a seriously odd thing to do!

The problem is I don't have any weight to lose. I have always been on the tinier side. But even after eating about 2500 calories, I seem to lose weight every week which is concerning. I can not eat more, I tried. 2500 calories seems a lot on most days. I have been told, there's nothing called over training, it's under eating. I do not want to minimize my training time, but at the same time I can not seem to eat more. Sure, I can stuff my face with junk food and go over 2500 in two meals but I feel sluggish and irritated afterwards. I had to stop training for a few weeks for my shoulder dislocation and I was almost bed ridden when I have gained a few pounds which I was pretty happy of but then I started training again and lost the weight gained and some more. Hence, I wanted some information if training less would help in my goal. It's all confusing but I have to figure out some ways to deal with this.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited October 2016
    sijomial wrote: »

The problem is I don't have any weight to lose. I have always been on the tinier side. But even after eating about 2500 calories, I seem to lose weight every week which is concerning. I can not eat more, I tried. 2500 calories seems a lot on most days. I have been told, there's nothing called over training, it's under eating. I do not want to minimize my training time, but at the same time I can not seem to eat more. Sure, I can stuff my face with junk food and go over 2500 in two meals but I feel sluggish and irritated afterwards. I had to stop training for a few weeks for my shoulder dislocation and I was almost bed ridden when I have gained a few pounds which I was pretty happy of but then I started training again and lost the weight gained and some more. Hence, I wanted some information if training less would help in my goal. It's all confusing but I have to figure out some ways to deal with this.

I cycle 600 miles a month in summer plus other exercise and manage to eat enough. 2500 really isn't a lot.
    If your diet is restricting your ability to work towards your exercise goals then maybe you need to reassess your diet? If you want to train like an athlete then you need to eat like an athlete including hitting your calorie goal.

There's plenty of calorie dense foods that certainly aren't junk food. Starchy carbs are an excellent choice for example.
    Remember once your have hit your macro/micro/vitamin needs there's nothing wrong with eating some fun foods as well.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Keep exercise the same but increase calories until you find your maintenance (when you neither lose or gain weight).
  • Kurzweil
    Kurzweil Posts: 14 Member
    I'm just getting into maintenance following a massive weight loss.

I'm actually increasing exercise. There is a strong correlation between maintaining weight loss and exercise (not nearly as strong of a correlation with weight loss). Exercise is for my health, separate from my weight, so no reason to scale back.

I'm slooooowly increasing calories, between 50 - 100 per day, once a week, until I find my maintenance range. I'm also slightly bringing up my carbs. I anticipate my ultimate maintenance range being around 1750 - 1900 calories and 80 - 100 carbs, but approaching it very slowly should give me a lot of good information and give my body time to rev up to it.

I'm trying to just eat more of what I have been eating - 5 oz of chicken instead of 3. Adding berries to my yogurt, maybe a scoop of protein or peanut powder. A little more avocado on a sandwich. 2 eggs instead of 1. That sort of thing. Still weighing and tracking.

New things in maintenance are weighing myself daily, which has been very helpful. I'm ruthless about getting rid of clothes that are too large. Eventually I'll probably keep one size either direction (for example, if I ultimately land in a size 10, I can see myself keeping a few size 12's in case I have surgery and am bloated, that sort of thing -- but NOT a whole wardrobe). Protein is still a large % of my calories, but as I continue to inch up, I think fat will become a higher % because I still want to keep my carbs moderate and I don't want to be excessive with protein (about gram/pound of body weight is where I'm comfortable for my daily max, unless I start a lot more strength training).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    My head hurts trying to understand why someone would go back to pre-weight loss habits of less exercise and more junk food, which is probably what contributed being overweight to begin with. I guess all the talk of lifestyle change and lifelong habits is just talk for some.

I have reached the mid-upper end of my maintenance range. I've been losing so slowly at the end (1 lb per month or so) there is hardly any need to increase calories. A few extra snacks or desserts here and there would do it.
    I am adding new exercise, such as swimming. My life has changed for the better in countless ways, but I'm not planning any specific changes because of maintenance. Mainly I know I need to keep doing what I've been doing so I don't gain back and continue to improve my fitness level.