Vitamins

Options
I have heard soooo many things about vitamins that can help with a slow metabolism.... does anyone have any advice of any that would be good to add to everyday diet plan?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    What have you heard from peer reviewed research as opposed to infomercials, etc?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Unless you are specifically deficient in a certain vitamin there is no quality, peer reviewed research whatsoever to show that vitamin supplementation does anything at all.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Not sure where or what exact sources you heard vitamins slow metabolism. :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A varied diet will get you all the vitamins you need. Take Folic Acid if you may have children one day, and you would likely benefit from Vitamin D.

I found that regular exercise improved my sluggish metabolism the most.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Well you should probably be taking a daily multivitamin at least to make sure you are getting your trace minerals. Omega 3/fish oil is also helpful and hard to get enough just from diet. I find it's especially important to take vitamins while in a caloric deficit because you're eating less.

It's also important to make sure you don't have any specific deficiencies. Low vitamin D can slow weight loss. Low iron/being anemic can be detrimental. Low magnesium or various vitamin B deficiencies can have a whole lot of negative health effects... But you need to see a doctor and get your blood tested to see if you have any deficiencies- don't just go taking extra supplements without testing first or you could do more harm than good.

But this has less of an effect on your metabolism than you would think. It has a lot more to do with your genetics, daily activity level, how much/often you exercise and the type of exercise, lean body mass/muscle, body fat percentage, age, height... etc.

It's not like you can start taking a multivitamin and expect to suddenly start losing weight faster. To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. That's it.

Also you might want to pay attention to your macronutrients before worrying about your micronutrients.. are you getting enough protein? Are you eating the right amount of carbs and fat? This is something a lot of people overlook.