foods that make you less hungry ?

Options
I know coffee does. Also, this is gonna sound weird but, I realized if I eat something spicy, it makes my stomach feel warm XD so I'm not as hungry . So I eat flammin hot Cheetos every day at work. Does anyone know of anything else that helps you feel full ? Please be specific, I know proteins and fats do, and I already take a diet drink that helps. Just wanted to know if there's any I don't know about .

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Flaming hot cheetos make you less hungry? That doesn't work for me!!! Neither does coffee.
    Spicy foods only make me less hungry if they are so spicy and temperature hot that they are hard to eat. Have you tried any Thai hot & spicy dishes? If you want to try something sweet I find whole wheat pancakes filling, especially topped with fruits, chocolate, peanut butter, and whipped cream. This has been my secret sauce. If you make the pancakes plain (not sweet), you could top them with savory or spicy foods you like. I think whole wheat flour is the trick, maybe?
  • pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do like spicy thai food :) thanks for the suggestion. I don't eat breakfast though, I know its the most important meal of the day and blah blah blah. I just notice I tend to be More hungry throughout the day if I eat breakfast. Idk why :/
  • Cbestinme
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey pancakes are anytime food!!! :)
    Also forgot to mention almonds. If I have a snack of almonds some before a meal I find I'm fuller, it may work the same for you?
    Or try a generous serving (or two) of green papaya salad & maybe throw in some almonds.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Actually just realised that what I'm referring to earlier as pancakes are rather like crepes, ie not American pancakes
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Cottage cheese. Wholemeal toast with peanut butter. Milk. Oatcakes.

Also, seasoning things highly makes me more satisfied with a smaller portion, whether that's something spicy or just salt and pepper.
  • pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ok, I'll try almonds ! Thanks :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    I do like spicy thai food :) I just notice I tend to be More hungry throughout the day if I eat breakfast. Idk why :/

What are you eating for breakfast? A lot of people find that eating white starchy food, like white bread, or non wholegrain cereal like cornflakes or rice krispies, make them hungrier. Wholegrain cereals or protein rich food like eggs works better for most people.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OP: I just took a quick peek at your diary. I noticed that you eat a majority of your calories for the day in one sitting. If you're struggling with hunger pains, sometimes planning out your meals so that they're spread out over the course of the day can really make the difference. That way your body isn't crying for fuel late in the day.

I take the extra 20-30 minutes to really plan out my meals for the day, cook them, weigh them, and package them myself. You'd be surprised how filling an 8oz chicken breast and a cup of rice can get when you've had breakfast. I also carry Cliff bars in my bag for work. I don't dislike cliff bars, but I don't hate them either. I figure that if I'm so hungry that I will eat one, then I must really be hungry and my body needs the fuel. This happens to me a lot on my very active days, and never on my lazy ones.

A lot of dealing with hunger pains is also a mindset. I read it on these forums a lot, but going from 'how many treats can I slip in and still be under my goal' to 'how much should I have so I don't start getting, dizzy, unable to focus, and insufferably hangry' really helps too.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Usually when i add black beans to my meals I end up nice and full, sometimes even sleepy.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Any food makes me feel less hungry as I eat enough to fill me up.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If I eat eggs for breakfast it keeps me full for quite a while. But breakfast is not any more important than any other meal. If you don't want it don't have it. I rarely eat breakfast on the weekends, but if I eat eggs for breakfast workdays then I don't need to snack while I am stuck at my desk all morning.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I find not eating some foods keeps me from getting hungry. Bread, cookies, chips - these seem to disrupt my normal ability to regulate hunger. So if I want to control my cravings I keep those limited or away.

If I'm hungry and want candy, I try a hard boiled egg or nuts first. If those don't cure it, then I really do need a meal and I go get one, because those usually take the edge off, maybe my body's way if trying to get more protein or fat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    An apple with pretty much anything.

Coffee or tea don't do a thing for me sadly!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sausage, cheese, steak, hamburgers, pizza. Basically fairly high fat protein sources.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    High fat and carb foods for me. Protein for some reason leaves me feeling hungry. Probably because I don't like most forms of protein especially lean meats. Pasta, pizza, bread, burgers, baked goods and all with cheese all make me feel full. Steak with veg makes me wonder if I've eaten at all.

Careful with the almonds advice. 100 grams are around 550cals (same as chocolate) so a handful of almonds are probably worth half of my dinner. I'd rather have a burger :smile:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Perhaps a healthier option than Cheetos might be sriacha and/or wasabi almonds. Both delicious, but high in sodium. You can also make turkey chili or shrimp creole crazy hot.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy, use hot sauce as salad dressing. I eat a salad with a whole box of greens, a couple tomatos, a meat, some laughing cow cheese, and hot sauce every day. The volume is HUGE and they are all about 250-300 calories.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy like Greek yogurt with berries, or chicken and avocado together do it for me!