How to schedule weight training, cardio and yoga in a weekly workout?

How do you schedule weight training, cardio and yoga in a weekly workout?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    you do weight training one day,cardio the next and then yoga(doesnt have to be in that order). or you can do weight training and yoga afterwards for your stretching.it all depends on how you want to do it. most people though will do each one on separate days though and give yourself a day or two of rest as well.
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    you do weight training one day,cardio the next and then yoga(doesnt have to be in that order). or you can do weight training and yoga afterwards for your stretching.it all depends on how you want to do it. most people though will do each one on separate days though and give yourself a day or two of rest as well.

I know this might sound very idiotic. An hour long yoga is peaceful and calming even with the tougher moves but barely burns 100/120 calories. Is it satisfying enough?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

I know this might sound very idiotic. An hour long yoga is peaceful and calming even with the tougher moves but barely burns 100/120 calories. Is it satisfying enough?

That is a personal decision.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    jemhh wrote: »

That is a personal decision.

I agree
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

if you want to burn more calories then use yoga as your cool down/stretch after workouts,but its up to you. there are many types of yoga and Im sure there are some that burn more calories. look into the types and see if any are of interest to you
  • unnichaacko
    sijomial wrote: »

Exercise isn't just about calorie burns.

I knew that was coming. But it kind of gives you the option of eating a few more calories sometimes.
  • unnichaacko

I knew that was coming. But it kind of gives you the option of eating a few more calories sometimes.

You could do your strength training or running in the morning and yoga in the evening. I find it helps me sleep and the stretching is good for recovery from the harder workouts.

This seems like a great idea. Alternating strength training and cardio days and yoga at night before sleeping or in the evening.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    I currently run MWF for a half hour to 40 minutes and then practice yoga for 30 minutes following my run. On TThS I lift for 45 minutes to an hour and cool down with 15 to 20 minutes of yoga. Sunday's my rest day and either I don't exercise at all or do a little yoga to stretch and relax. I often throw in another cardio on Saturday as well following the strength workout. So my schedule is 3-4 days cardio, 3 days strength, and 6-7 days yoga. Works for me.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2016
    I lift weights twice a week, do yoga every Saturday, and walk our 70 lb black lab on other days. She needs exercise too.

Yoga is good fir more than calorie burn. It opens up muscles, realigns posture, corrects balance, and can clear the mind. For me it also helps with bavk pain. When I do my gym's 75 min athletic hot yoga class, I burn more than 100 cals. But if I want more, I do a 30 minute core workout ahead if time and log it as calisthenics. The core muscle activation later helps me during yoga.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Lift: mon, wed, fri.
    Cardio: tue, thu. (Used to do 60 min classes- Zumba, Pilates, or arobics. Found that too tiring to progress lifting so changed to 30 min walking, swimming, or rowing.)
    Yoga: sun, 90 min class.
    Rest: sat.

Choose your focus and build the other activities around it.

If you are doing consistent workouts you may find it better to work of your TDEE from an off site calculator rather than the NEAT goal plus eating back exercise that MFP gives you.

Make sure you are fueling your workouts, you will perform better and, even if you feel fine now, burnout can happen.

Cheers, h.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    I do lifting in day with yoga as a cool down with either swimming and running directly after or a few hours later.

I prefer run on leg days especially on a bulk so my legs get a true rest day the following day as I lift days everyday.

Kinda hard to give you advice since we don't know your goals or what kind of yoga, lifting, or cardio ypu are or plan to do.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    I love to do yoga the morning of a heavy leg session.. I find it really opens my hips for functional movements. Having said that I also like to do it the day after to stretch out!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    I don't do yoga but do stretch, and I often do all three in the same day. I lift first, run second, and end with stretching. Some days I just lift and stretch, and other days I just run and stretch. It just depends how I'm feeling, but I've had good results this way.
  • unnichaacko
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I do lifting in day with yoga as a cool down with either swimming and running directly after or a few hours later.

I prefer run on leg days especially on a bulk so my legs get a true rest day the following day as I lift days everyday.

Kinda hard to give you advice since we don't know your goals or what kind of yoga, lifting, or cardio ypu are or plan to do.

I do want to lose a little bit of the weight, 5/7 pound-ish, toning is my main goal. I am among those skinny fat people I think. I love cardio, the interval/HIIT ones. I also love body weight strength training and I do not have enough time for gym. So either I have to buy free weights/adjustable dumbbells or do it without weight. Yoga gives me peace of mind. And I dread core exercises. I think, I will do pilates/yoga everyday in the morning and strength training and cardio on alternative days in the evening.
  • trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member

It's really hard, isn't it?! I do cardio 4 times a week (I run three times, and use a recumbent bike once), lift twice, and do barre once.
  • unnichaacko

It's really hard, isn't it?! I do cardio 4 times a week (I run three times, and use a recumbent bike once), lift twice, and do barre once.

I am doing yoga every morning or before sleeping *whichever suits, depends on that day* and cardio and strength training on alternate days. Lets see how this routine works out.
  • trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
    I tried doing two workouts a day - cardio or strength in the morning, Pilates or barre in the evening - but I just felt exhausted and run down. But I do have to be careful, I have fibromyalgia.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited October 2016
    Ah, I can speak to this. Out now due to injury but my weekly pattern is usually:

run in mornings very early mwf, walk tues/th
    yoga in evenings m,tues, thur, fri

weights saturday late morning and if i get home in time, Wed after work.

Sunday long slow dog walk only, nothing heavy or fast.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member

You could do your strength training or running in the morning and yoga in the evening. I find it helps me sleep and the stretching is good for recovery from the harder workouts.

This, for me, is the gold standard and what I did as a single mom, because my kids could come with me for some of the workouts. A run to energize you in the morning, yoga to wear you out and unwind you for sleep. A lovely daily pattern of activity.