Air-fryer...

Options
I saw one on QVC... looks interesting. Has any one purchased one? What brand? Do you like it?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I actually laughed at this title because several people in my coaching group on Facebook have recently been posting about air fryers.

I recently bought one because of the posts, and I honestly love it.

The brand I got was called go wise USA but I will admit that I know very little about different brands.

• bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I actually laughed at this title because several people in my coaching group on Facebook have recently been posting about air fryers.

I recently bought one because of the posts, and I honestly love it.

The brand I got was called go wise USA but I will admit that I know very little about different brands.

Cool, good to know, just thinking about ways to reduce oils used but have good stuff :smile:

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    All I want to know is if it's any good for making french fries.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Decent.

In my opinion it's faster than an oven, slightly better than an oven as far as how the fries turn out (at least for me) but it's not quite as good as actually frying them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Decent.

In my opinion it's faster than an oven, slightly better than an oven as far as how the fries turn out (at least for me) but it's not quite as good as actually frying them.

Thanks. I think I'll stick to the real thing only on occasion then.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Decent.

Thanks. I think I'll stick to the real thing only on occasion then.

FWIW I'm in love with my air fryer. Chicken wings take about 15 minutes and they come out pretty crisp.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever make fried chicken in one of these and have it turn out decent? I've been contemplating getting one as well. Not that I ever fry anything (usually use the oven) but if it turns out good then cool.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Anyone ever make fried chicken in one of these and have it turn out decent? I've been contemplating getting one as well. Not that I ever fry anything (usually use the oven) but if it turns out good then cool.

IMO it turns out better than baked but not quite as good as fried. HOwever, consider that it's faster, less messy, and you're saving on calories. I think they're awesome but if you go in expecting it to be JUST like fried food you'll be let down slightly.

I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I use it almost daily. I've done chicken wings with seasoning and marinade but not breaded. I have done breaded chicken breast fillets and they turned out very crunchy/crispy.

I've also done grilled cheese, which worked well.
  • bwhitty67
    Options
    Well I ordered one....excited to try. :smiley:
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Don't think I could function without my
    Philips air fryer anymore, great for chicken and my personal favourite sweet
    Potato fries
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    bwhitty67 wrote: »

You have to let us know what you think of it - I keep seeing it on QVC today too and while I am intrigued it is a little pricy for me at the moment. But I am curious to find out what you think of it.

What color did you go with?
  • bwhitty67
    Options

You have to let us know what you think of it - I keep seeing it on QVC today too and while I am intrigued it is a little pricy for me at the moment. But I am curious to find out what you think of it.

By the time I decided there weren't as many choices, I went with red :)

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options

By the time I decided there weren't as many choices, I went with red :)

Red is a good choice - if I got one that is what I would get, because it would match my other stuff (I didn't set out to get red kitchen appliances, but I got a couple as gifts and so I just went with it).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have a T-fal (T-fel??) one that I use every week to make fries or hashbrowns for the kids. I also use it to make homemade chicken nuggets for them. It works quite well fo that too. Once in a while I use it for veggies but not too often.
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love to cut up zucchini or brussels sprouts and use a misto to spray a little oil on and season up real good and cook in the air fryer for about 15 to 20 minutes, shaking occasionally. I've cooked salmon, burger patties, hot dogs, chicken thighs, bean burgers, grilled sandwiches and little pizzas. I love how it contains the mess--no splatter and cooks fast. I hardly ever use my oven anymore. I think you can find plenty of uses for it if you have the counter space.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I, too, very much love mine. I've even baked potatoes in it. Compact and convenient.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but from people I know who have them (because I was seriously considering one and asked a lot of questions):
    They are pretty good, and those in smaller households love them (and this is why I don't have one - my friends said they were really best when cooking for one or two people).
    It's a bit quicker, but if you have an oven with a good fan-bake setting, the results are similar.
    Easier than cleaning an oven tray.

Wouldn't work for our family right now, but I also hear it's good when the kids are teens and they can make healthier snacks for themselves with it.
  • bwhitty67
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    I don't have one, but from people I know who have them (because I was seriously considering one and asked a lot of questions):
    They are pretty good, and those in smaller households love them (and this is why I don't have one - my friends said they were really best when cooking for one or two people).
    It's a bit quicker, but if you have an oven with a good fan-bake setting, the results are similar.
    Easier than cleaning an oven tray.

Wouldn't work for our family right now, but I also hear it's good when the kids are teens and they can make healthier snacks for themselves with it.

My kids are gone so that is why I went with it as well. Can't wait to try it!

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have one. Don't recall brand. I like it.. Not really for cooking for more than 2 or 3 people. I wish I got the biggest size. Its my only regret.