New approach...your thoughts?

Options
So I am wanting to mix up my plan mostly out of boredom. It was suggested to me that I could still reach my goal of losing 15 more lbs by calculating my maintenance at goal and eating that amount. Do you think this will work or will it prevent me from losing?

The figure calculated puts me at about 400 calories a day more than what I am currently eating and losing only .5lb a week on. I used this site to calculate http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=37&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=7&cpound=150&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.375&printit=0&x=64&y=9

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    If you're losing 1/2 a pound a week now with a 250 calorie a day deficit and plan to increase your calories by 400 per day you would put yourself in a 150 calorie per day surplus. Mathematically speaking, you'd gain weight doing that, albeit slowly.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It will be slow because the difference between your current maintenance and goal maintenance may be tiny.

Are you still losing and at what rate? 400 calories per day is pretty much 1lb per week. Have you been losing more than that? If so, then you will continue to lose, just at a different rate.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Totally blanked the part where you said you're currently losing .5lb per week. Eating more is never the answer to losing more (unless we're talking about planned diet breaks in order to let hormones sort themselves out after a prolonged deficit and for a psychological break).
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys that pretty much confirms my gut response. Im sticking with my current plan until I hit goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yeah, what they said.

250 calories off your (current) Maintenance calories would put you at 1/2 pound per week loss.

500 calories off your (current) Maintenance calories would have you losing 1 pound per week.

So. It depends on your accurate calculations AND accurate intake. How did you arrive at the (Goal weight) Maintenance amounts? I mean, the calculators online are just estimations. If you are losing 1/2 pound per week now, then stick with what you are doing, calorie-wise. With fifteen pounds to lose, you are doing it just right.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have heard it works but the numbers have to work and weight loss is slower .. good thing is you get used to eating at maintaince .. I have thought about it myself

Good luck