Improving Fitness for Mental Health

Options
2»

Replies

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with anxiety all my life. After having kids I struggled with it a lot more. Sonce starting working out i have had no panic attacks. I normally get overwhelmed whenever so much is happening which is common since i am going to school full time and have 2 children. But working out has helped me be able to relieve stress and not become overwhelmed with all my homework.
  • cascadinglilac
    cascadinglilac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with depression and anxiety since I was a child as well. It definitely makes life harder. It's easy to become apathetic and for all goals and hopes to wither away.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Since 1982, I've lived with it and had ups and downs.

Since dieting, I've found that eating healthy and exercising do help. Because I am so overweight and have arthritis in one knee, my exercise is limited to swimming laps. Sidestroke really helped me lose inches so that I looked like I had lost more than I did. The inches came off in my thighs, hips, and tummy which are the areas I needed the most help.

So try it and see how it works for you. Some days you are going to have to drag yourself out of bed and to do your exercising, but it will pay off.

Good luck.
  • gerbillama03
    gerbillama03 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of my meds is causing insane food cravings. I'm a bit of a nerd, and it's because the chemical structure of the medicine bonds to lipids in my body...so I have to be on a low-carb-low-fat diet. Combined with the no alcohol or caffeine... I'm pretty miserable. Glad there's a thread I found. Sorry you guys are in the same situation.
  • asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm definitely working outbfor mental health. On days where I get discouraged by lack of physical improvement (early days yet), I have to remind myself that my mental health is number one right now and that exercise and healthy eating are just as important for my mind as they are for my body.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and am currently medication free. I haven't found diet to make a difference. I think exercize is key for myself. There are TONS of us:-) I am glad I am not alone.
  • usernamewhee
    usernamewhee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that while my energy levels haven't improved, they haven't dipped at all as a result of the exercise– which is something I was worried about happening, at least initially.

Have you tried changing your diet? Eating more fibrous, natural foods might help!
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise has helped my anxiety sooo much. I was able to get off the medicine too!
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, and exercising helped tremendously...but only to a point. I still love to work out, but the depressive side doesn't stay away as long. Idk if that makes sense, but I'm very unstable at the moment. The only thing that truly helps me out is staying busy, my meds, and lots of marijuana.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Be careful though. People here tend to attach their worth/self-esteem to their weight. So, if you do this your mental and emotional health get worse. Eating better and exercising alone help with mental health. But you need to separate body from mind. In other words, you can't be a person who places judgements on your body and weight. Because then you focus on your appearance and that is when your self-esteem takes a nosedive.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, and exercising helped tremendously...but only to a point. I still love to work out, but the depressive side doesn't stay away as long. Idk if that makes sense, but I'm very unstable at the moment. The only thing that truly helps me out is staying busy, my meds, and lots of marijuana.

I also have bipolar (1) and agree that exercise, health is only part of the picture.

I was actually formally diagnosed after a period of clean eating and being the fittest I'd ever been. I told all my friends I had cured my mental health issues with exercise. About nine months later I was in a manic psychosis.

Diet and exercise will not cure all mental health issues.

You can be doing ALL the right lifestyle things and still crash and burn.

I also need my meds (as well) or my life is in shambles.