Discrepancy amongst heart rate monitors

Options
I have been using a Wahoo chest strap heart rate monitor. I also have an Apple Watch. The wahoo strap always shows 100-200 more calories burned than the. Apple Watch. Which one should I trust?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you're eating back exercise calories, I'd tend to err on the low side. Other than that, it's purely academic.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Neither. Figure out how much you are burning by weight change.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    jswigart wrote: »
    I have been using a Wahoo chest strap heart rate monitor. I also have an Apple Watch. The wahoo strap always shows 100-200 more calories burned than the. Apple Watch. Which one should I trust?

I have learned not to trust the calorie burn on those. BUT, if it's accurate with the average heart rate, plug that into a heart rate calculator online.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml
    You have to be careful though. I have a fitbit that is not accurate with the average heart rate but my chest strap heart rate monitor is. So, I take the average heart rate the chest strap HRM displays and plug that information into the calculator above.