Counting calories vs tracking macros to start

Options
I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I have about 80-90 pounds to lose and am currently tracking macros and find myself eating too little or too much trying to meet my goals.
Would it hurt just to count calories for now? Will it mess with body composition a lot?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd say 100% go with calories first. That's what matters for weight loss. You can start tweaking you macros while you're tracking calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Just worry about calories. Macros will help with some things, and become, in my opinion, more important later when your weight is lower, but for fat loss it is a calorie deficit, ideally with some sort of resistance training. In terms of macros, the one to worry about is getting sufficient protein, about .8 grams per pound of weight. Let carbs and fats fall wherever. BTW, weight training and a moderate deficit are for more important for body composition than macros. Macros without resistance training or even with it but with a huge deficit will still negatively affect lean mass.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Solid advice. Stick with counting calories so you don't get overwhelmed. All I've done in the past 10 months is count calories and I'm down 55 pounds. The program works as long as you work it. Best of luck to you!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've never counted macros. I only sometimes try to eat more protein as I don't like lean meats. Most people (I mean those that don't try to lose weight and just eat) don't count macros and this haven't really messed their body composition. In most likelihood if you eat intuitively you'll eat around the recomended macro quantities.
    I wouldn't bother with that at all. Just count your calories. Well and protein ok.
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am doing a bootcamp that recommends counting macros. I decided to look at the information and try to incorporate more protein in my diet, but for now I am going to continue counting calories. It is so difficult to count macros when you are trying to learn how to eat healthier. The macros can come later when you have a better handle on how to stay within certain calorie ranges.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    For weight loss the only thing that matters is eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. I've never tracked macros and I've been very successful at not only weight loss, but also maintenance. Calories, calories and calories :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. Don't worry about macros for now, but do try to get as much protein as you can. Baby steps, you can worry about macros once you have the hang of calorie counting.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    count your calories but try to hit a minimum protein requirement for the day. Protein is thermogenic which will aid your weight loss
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I focused first on calories with initial weight-loss. At maintenance it's both calories and macros.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    pandora721 wrote: »
    I focused first on calories with initial weight-loss. At maintenance it's both calories and macros.

How so? I'm several years into maintenance and I still don't track macros.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the advice to count calories first. I'm in the camp that thinks macros become more important once you're closer to goal.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What are macros and how do those impact weight loss? I've seen on threads that the only thing that matters is the number of calories?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit > Macros > All else
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wrote: »
    What are macros and how do those impact weight loss? I've seen on threads that the only thing that matters is the number of calories?

Carbs, fats and protein are the macronutrients. For example, I am lifting, so have a high protein macro to hit; I pretty much ignore the other two and just try to limit my overall calories. Others are doing low carb diets, etc.
  • Cbestinme
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Okay thanks for clarifying. I am eating daily and sometimes tracking proteins and fats as that seems to be what my body needs. Yes of course I'm also eating carbs but I'm not tracking them. Why Is Fiber NOT a macronutrient? How do you know what the target on fiber should be?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Okay thanks for clarifying. I am eating daily and sometimes tracking proteins and fats as that seems to be what my body needs. Yes of course I'm also eating carbs but I'm not tracking them. Why Is Fiber NOT a macronutrient? How do you know what the target on fiber should be?

Fiber falls under carbs, but it can be tracked separately on MPF. I just go with the recommended daily amount of 25 g, although usually I am under, sadly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Focus on what's ultimately the most important...CALORIES...your macros really don't have a whole lot to do with weight management. Worry about that other stuff once you have your calories in order.
  • Cbestinme
    edited January 2017
    Options

Fiber falls under carbs, but it can be tracked separately on MPF. I just go with the recommended daily amount of 25 g, although usually I am under, sadly.

Yes I'm tracking the grams of fiber but I also have my own goals for protein and fats (not necessarily what mfp app says, but that I got from an mfp member).
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    pandora721 wrote: »

How so? I'm several years into maintenance and I still don't track macros.

I just noticed this. I was speaking in regards to myself. What I do. Not what is required of others.